The first 2 broadcast hours of MTV

That's ridiculous.

They left the model that made them unique and successful. Even Classic Arts channel founders admit to copying the MTV strategy. In MTV's defence, I guess youtube is in effect the new MTV but better. Individuals get to personally be their own VJ.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!
How about it. IMHO, everything that defined them as a channel is gone. More or less just another reality tv channel now and too many of those already. :rollingeyes

I remember when A&E used to have actual programming like plays. I recall watching Pygmalion (with Peter O'Toole and Margot Kidder), Sweeney Todd (with Angela Lansbury) and The Mikado, among others. You won't find anything close to that on there now. :(

Reactions: comfortably_numb
What's particularly sad is that when digital broadcasting started, the management of MTV was specifically hailing it as a wonderful thing because they would now have the bandwidth to have a channel for every genre of music. We all know how well THAT worked out! (The first casualty was MTV-X, their heavy metal channel, which got axed to make space for Logo. At least that's how I remember it -- other people have tried to tell me different, so maybe something changed between the announcement and the implementation, but the end result was the same, they dropped a channel for a hugely popular genre.)

What orbital location was MTV at circa 1986? It was still analog then, and my cable company's head-end was getting hosed on that frequency by AT&T's microwave network, so after a lot of complaints they replaced it with VH-1, which at the time was a much lamer channel. (ALL my cable company's dishes were pointing damned close to the horizon in those days -- did the uplinkers think the whole country lived in California or something?)

Reactions: c-spand
Guess I was about 16 when MTV showed up but couldn't talk my parents into springing for a satellite dish to pick it up. Likely several $K back then as it was new tech.
A year or so later our high school put up a C-band dish for distance learning and I remember a few trips onto the roof trying specifically to get MTV to play in the AV room at lunch. Never did get it to work. Did take half of one afternoon to get the dish back to the proper satellite... move it a bit then run downstairs to see if there was a picture, the back up again... No satellite finder back then. I would have been in deep **** if they had to call the installers to set it up again. Of course I was the science geek in the class...
Fun days!
Thanx for the time warp! :)