The frozen water bottle.. A MUST WATCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supercooled water is kind of a cool phenomenon (pun not intended), but you can reproduce this trick in your freezer.

When water is cooled below 32°F (0°C) the water begins to form ice crystals along any foreign particles or bubbles or other ice crystals. If the water is so pure and the container is so smooth smooth that there is nothing for an ice crystal to form around then you get super-chilled water. There is nothing for an ice crystal to "hang on to" so it doesn't form. The instant there is something for a crystal to form around the entire bottle will turn to solid ice. When the guy smacks the bottle, he is creating bubbles where crystals can form and sets off the chain reaction.

The same thing happens with super-heated water at or above 212°F (100°C). The old story about the exploding cup of water in the microwave oven where the water appears to be just hot until it is disturbed them instantly boils the moment it is disturbed happens due to the same physical phenomenon. It is the impurity in the water that allows the water to boil.

...The same thing happens with super-heated water at or above 212°F (100°C). The old story about the exploding cup of water in the microwave oven where the water appears to be just hot until it is disturbed them instantly boils the moment it is disturbed happens due to the same physical phenomenon. It is the impurity in the water that allows the water to boil.

Good point. We reheat coffee in the microwave because since we don't believe in pouring it down the drain. Although I drink my coffee black, my wife will add sugar and creamer (more like a coffee flavored milkshake IMO). Anyway, imagine my surprise the first time I added suger to her coffee after taking it out of the microwave. Pffftttt. The coffee and sugar boiled right out of the cup and onto the counter.
:reading:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)