The future of buying sporting event tickets...

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
The team said Wednesday it will be the first NHL franchise to offer a flexible pricing plan that goes beyond the notion of charging more for games against better opponents. As with airfares, buying tickets early can help, and it will matter where the teams are in the standings.

The price charts won't be spinning like the big boards on Wall Street, but they'll be changing during the season in an industry known for setting prices long before the first game and leaving them alone. If the Stars are Stanley Cup contenders, fans will have to contend with a bull market...

...The Stars and baseball's San Francisco Giants are the two major pro sports teams to sign contracts with Qcue, according to Kahn. He said the company was in negotiations with other teams...

Stars basing some ticket prices on opponents' records - NHL - CBSSports.com Hockey

interesting

I know in college hockey some tickets are more due to the team they are playing but that is set at the beginning of the year. Not during the year

If not done right it will be counterproductive though, the airline analogy is not a good one. They charge you more for added convenience (earlier flight) and routinely overbook flights so they're still full-ish either way. If this isn't done right, the end result is teams losing money from empty seats (seat + concession income) because price ramped up closer to a big game.

A realted question. I was watching SportsCenter and they were showing baseball highlights where a lot of the games are at places like Washington and Cleveland where those teams stink and have been out of it for a while. Who goes to these games? I know that the Texas Rangers don't have fans that bother to see them on the road so who shows up? You'd think that people would have something better to do than watch lousy teams go through the motions in September.

The few farm team games ive been to (never been to a MLB game) here in Vegas (The LV 51s) I couldn't tell you what their record was or anything, and the games were damn sold out. It's a night out, it's an event for the family, whatever, it's just something to go do :)

I get the "something to do" thing. When I go to baseball games I could care less about what's going on in the game, but by September you'd think people would have that out of their system. Going to games in empty stadiums where not even the players care what's going on is depressing.

There is nothing like watching a good baseball game on a cool September evening! If you are a fair-weather fan and only go to the game if your team is winning, you are no fan at all! But then there are those that just go for the game. "Lousy" is relative. Even a "lousy" team wins here and there and the "lousy" team members worth their salt play their best game every game, not just when they are in play-off contention.

Having said that, I have not gone to a Reds game in three years. However I have gone to over two dozen Legends, Bats, Indians (Indianapolis), Mud Hens, Clippers, Spike and Freedom games in the same time period. I am just sorry that the minor league games are over for the year.

I can't afford to go to a Bengals game even now. Last time I went was in 1995. Baseball is starting to get that way. If the tickets go up much more I won't go to anymore of those games either even though baseball is my favorite sport. I go see the Reds regardless if they are in playoff contention or not.

The Detroit Tigers did this with tickets this year. Games against teams like the Yankees and Red Sox were dubbed "premium" games and had prices accordingly.

Not everything is anti-consumer when the economy is crap, the businesses need to succeed too. Some people will not pay to see a crap team, but could pay to see a game at a bargain. Some will pay exorbitant prices even in tough times to see the the best possible game.

What difference does it make what the team charges for tickets to their games anyways? The dam ticket scalpers have been setting the prices for tickets for years!

Seriously, if your favorite team happens to be doing well, then more then likely all the good tickets will be sold out through the teams box office and your going to pay above face value going through a scalper. If your favorite team sucks, then its likely your going to buy tickets below face value.

I personally think ticket scalping should be outlawed, as there are too many people out there who buy up all the good tickets just to sell them for a profit which force the true fans who really want to go to pay higher ticket prices.

I got tired of being ripped off at Stubhub, and figured it out for the number of games I would go to it was cheaper to buy Detroit Tiger Season Tickets than buy good seats to the games I wanted to go to from Scalpers.

I just paid $7,000 for all the Detroit Tigers post season Tickets. Its 4 seats for all the play off games and the world series if they make it. I think the average price was $175 per ticket, per game. I got good seats, and 1 ticket to the world series for a good seat is almost 2 grand!

Not everything is anti-consumer when the economy is crap, the businesses need to succeed too. Some people will not pay to see a crap team, but could pay to see a game at a bargain. Some will pay exorbitant prices even in tough times to see the the best possible game.

Some people will chose to go to a game or two a year and thats about it when prices are steep as well.

What difference does it make what the team charges for tickets to their games anyways? The dam ticket scalpers have been setting the prices for tickets for years!

Seriously, if your favorite team happens to be doing well, then more then likely all the good tickets will be sold out through the teams box office and your going to pay above face value going through a scalper. If your favorite team sucks, then its likely your going to buy tickets below face value.

I personally think ticket scalping should be outlawed, as there are too many people out there who buy up all the good tickets just to sell them for a profit which force the true fans who really want to go to pay higher ticket prices.

I got tired of being ripped off at Stubhub, and figured it out for the number of games I would go to it was cheaper to buy Detroit Tiger Season Tickets than buy good seats to the games I wanted to go to from Scalpers.

I just paid $7,000 for all the Detroit Tigers post season Tickets. Its 4 seats for all the play off games and the world series if they make it. I think the average price was $175 per ticket, per game. I got good seats, and 1 ticket to the world series for a good seat is almost 2 grand!

Are you in the Tiger Den ?
If not, where are your seats, I thought you had mentioned before that it was around home plate.

$ 175 a ticket ?

I have a GREAT view from my 60" Pioneer Elite that I can have every game, vs paying those kind of prices. WOW

Some people will chose to go to a game or two a year and thats about it when prices are steep as well.

That was my point, this pricing is smart because the games against more important/popular opponents are more in demand so they're worth more.

I hate it.
I think the yankees started that ....

I don't want to be charged more money for a different game.

Soon a Tues/Wend game will cost one price and the rest f the week will be inflated.
This just gives them the ability to STILL GOUGE us anytime they want.

You know damn well if a team that is suppose to be good comes to town they will raise prices, but if that team isn't any good by the time the game gets here , they are not going to lower them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts