The Girl Who Played With Fire

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
While this was in our local independent theater last week, I just watched the Blu-Ray of it last night at home, and so my review...

I watched it in Swedish, with subtitles. I hate dubbed stuff, and with this movie I wanted to hear (even if I could not understand) the Swedish language. It made the experience more realistic. I absolutely loved the film; it is a great adaptation of the book, perhaps one of the best I have seen. My wife has not read the books, and had no problem following the story (which is often a problem with films; i.e., the Harry Potter films would be hard to follow without knowing the story). The film takes place mostly in Stockholm, and further piqued my interested in visiting Sweden.

The film cut out some minor sub-plots, and it took some dramatic license (it had Lisbeth not being aware of the trafficking story UNTIL after Dag and Mia were killed, and thus did not have her visiting them; and it had her visiting Miriam in the hospital, which did not happen in the book), but neither were detrimental to the story. They also skipped Lisbeth's boob job, but again minor. I was so impressed with the film. And even more so with the acting of Noomi Rapace. She was just a joy to watch. So compelling. Hollywood can do its own adaptation of the books, but Noomi Rapace will always be Lisbeth Salander to me.

I am very curious how they will pull off the third film, since she is nowhere as mobile in it. (Don't want to spoil for those who have not I find it kind of strange that the trailer for it has her decked out in the goth costume, walking down the hallway, which is kind of minor to the story. Of course, I did not think they would do a great job with the second film (very complex story-line), but I was wrong. I also loved the casting of Ronald Niederman. That giant was perfect.

And I was surprised that Paolo Roberto was a "REAL" guy. (Notice the credits, Paolo Roberto was played by Paolo Roberto). I envisioned him to be a bigger guy. But none the less, it was cool.

Bring on the third movie!!!! If you have not read the books, read them. I have read all three, and listened to the unabridged audible of all three as well. They will probably be on my "read every two or three year" list. Such a shame that the author died.

This film - along with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, should be strong contenders for an Oscar for Best Foreign Film.

PS This was originally a reply in the Good Books thread, but I wanted to test out the Publish to Facebook feature, and it seems like as good of a topic as any for it.

I think that the third movie is in limited US release now. BTW they have apparently found a manuscript for the FIFTH installment of a planned 10 part run. It is being held up because of problems in settling the estate. I have no idea if there is a fourth installment or whether Larson had some reason for writing them out of order.

Anyway I loved the books and the films do far. i wonder how the american versions will be.

I think that the third movie is in limited US release now. BTW they have apparently found a manuscript for the FIFTH installment of a planned 10 part run. It is being held up because of problems in settling the estate. I have no idea if there is a fourth installment or whether Larson had some reason for writing them out of order.

Anyway I loved the books and the films do far. i wonder how the american versions will be.

There is a 5th book, but not the 4th. He apparently sketched out all ten, and wrote the 5th one next because "it was more fun to write." I am sure it will come out someday, but not until the legal wrangling is done.

I look forward to seeing the third one. I am very leery of the American versions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)