The guy across the street

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
This is a story, not a question, reply or anything bad about Dish. I had a dp522 dvr set up with tv2 in my living room. It's late June, early July of 07. I would be watching tv2 when all of a sudden the the channel would change. Some times it would change to a channel I didn't sub to. It only did it on tv2. I never had this problem on tv1, which was in my bedroom. So after reseting the reciever, the channels would still change. I swipped the uhf, ir chips in the remotes. Still the channel would change by themselves. Called Dish, they sent me another 522. Didn't fix the problem. This 522 would change tv2 channels by itself. Had a Dish tech come out. When he came out tv2 worked fine and did not change by itself. The tech checked the entire system and found nothing wrong and left. About an hour and half after the tech left, tv2 changed to showtime, a channel I don't sub to. I changed it back to the channel I was watching. It changed back to showtime. I had had it. I went to my car to get my cell. I was calling Dish to cancel it. I see the new guy across the street looking at his sat dish. He had just moved into the house around a week or two ago, the same time my 522 started to act up. I went over, and introduced my self. I asked if he had Dish. "Yes." I asked if he had a 522 dvr. "Yea, how did you know?" I asked if tv2 would change by itself. "Yea, how do you know, do you work for Dish?" I told him I too had a 522 and that our tv2 uhf remotes were changing both of our tvs. I told him I was in the 16th month of a 2yr contract. He told me he too has a 2yr contract. I didn't know what to do. Should I get a different dvr and extend my contract or drop Dish. I desided to take it in the wallet, I canceled Dish. November 07 I see the DEA, FBI and local police raid the house. A police officer later told me the guy was making drugs and selling them. He also told me he was stealing Dish programing. It explained all the people coming in and out of his house at all hours of the day and night. It also explained the bad oder coming from his house. I am remembering this story because a new family is moving into the same house today. A family had moved in a few months after the raid and they stayed until the father was deploied to Iraq in Feb. They were a good family, not like the paranoied drug dealer. I hope this family is just as nice as the Army family.

Had a similar problem in our RV this past winter. It didn't happen all the time, but occasionally the TV2 channel would change (mostly late at night). My thought was that someone near had Dish and a dual tuner and was doing the same as the OP said (although our neighbor probably wasn't stealing service or selling drugs).

Dish Network should have been smart enough on the phone and when they came out to check for the remote address. Because of their lack of checking for this or telling the customer, they lost the customer. They could have prevented this loss. That is one of the first things I would have done, changed that remote address.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts