The HD Ultimate issue...

Damn. I think one of the requirements is that you have not had Cinemax for the past 6 months.

I can't remember how long I haven't had it. I think I only dropped it a few months ago when prices went up, but I might be wrong.

So back to the HD Ultimate "issue"...what can be added to HD Ultimate? What HD channels are there that aren't simulcasts of channels already in AT packages?

Mojo
Wealth HD
Fuel HD
Fox Business Channel
Crime & Investigation (4th Quarter)

So...any others?

I counted 22 channels on Monday night minus 15 by Wednesday morning equals 7.

That might be worth $3.00 to me. Not $5.00. Definitely not $10.00. I am already down graded to Essentials.

I joined the mob, dropping from HD Ultimate to HD Essentials.

It only took 2 minutes in a chat window. They waived the $5 downgrade fee.

I figure I can save $10 per month until they add something worth getting in that tier.

I'm not adding the Cinemax for a penny yet, because it requires a recommit. I am on month to month right now. I want to leave my options open while this HD war plays out.

May the best HD content provider win.

Edit - - Cinemax penny for a year offer doesn't require a recommit.

Last edited:
I joined the mob, dropping from HD Ultimate to HD Essentials.

It only took 2 minutes in a chat window. They waived the $5 downgrade fee.

I.

Good for you! I hear a lot of folks complaining about the downgrade fee but they did not bother to ask fora waiver. You took action and while I am sure that you wish it was not necessary you at least are not paying for the tier you don't want and got them to waive the fee.

Called today and dropped from HD Ultimate to Essential. CSR said VOOM is gone forever. Also dropped Muti Sport and SuperStation Paks and quit the Entertainment Magazine Program guide.

I'm not adding the Cinemax for a penny yet, because it requires a recommit. I am on month to month right now. I want to leave my options open while this HD war plays out.

May the best HD content provider win.

This Penny Cinemax Deal DOES NOT require a recommit. Or at least this was not mentioned to me when I did it.

This Penny Cinemax Deal DOES NOT require a recommit. Or at least this was not mentioned to me when I did it.

Thanks! I didn't read the fine print. I gave them a credit card number, and now have some R rated movie content, almost in HD. Skinamax really is the correct name of this service.

Another thread could ask if the HD only customer thinks that $29.99 is too much. They have lost a greater % of services than the HD Ultimate customer. The decision to terminate Voom service would have created a lot fewer customer center calls if E*'s intentions were communicated. Promises to add additional choices "soon" doesn't make the price worth it. It will be interesting to hear, from SCOTT, what the attitude was at TEAM SUMMIT ??????????

Another thread could ask if the HD only customer thinks that $29.99 is too much. They have lost a greater % of services than the HD Ultimate customer.

Not at all. They may have reason to complain, but not about price or number of channels. I keep repeating myself, but people keep completely missing the point.

There are two issues here. The money, and the number of programming choices.

Most of the additions to the lineup were simulcast channels I already received. While I greatly appreciate receiving them in HD, even if only part-time, they are not additional programming choices. Not counting Cinemax & RSNs, there were 3 NEW programming choices added, and 15 choices removed. That's a net loss of 12 programming choices.

The HD Only pack did not see such a change. They had 15 NEW programming choices added and 15 taken away. Now, how they view those changes is a matter of taste. Some people may only wish to view HD- in their case, they may be disappointed because there is less HD programming available. On the other hand, some people may be happy to trade Family Room for Disney Channel, Voom Movies for MGM, Treasure for Smithsonian, ect.

But from a purely quantitative viewpoint, the HD Only subscribers, have the exact same number of channels, and the exact same number of programming choices for the exact same price.

HD Essentials people have the same programming choices, both in number and in quality, but more HD. They simply have nothing to complain about.

HD Only may or may not be happy, but they are getting the same number of channels for the money.

HD Ultimate has fewer overall channels, AND less HD.

Another way to look at it, we are getting more for our money in one half of the package and much less in the other. But other people are just getting more...period. The HD Ultimate subscribers are, in effect, subsidizing the Essentials subscribers.

A third way to look at it. DISH was paying VOOM $3.50 or more per subscriber. I don't know how much MGM, Smithsonian, and WFN are, but I bet it's less than $1 total per subscriber. They are pocketing the rest.

Someone in another thread had a good idea...write to HDNet Movies, MGM, Smithsonian, NHL, Universal HD...heck, even WFN. They have been placed in a package that is NOT a good value, and stand to lose subscribers because of it. Everyone that switches to HD Essentials is taking money away from these channels who have nothing to do with the problem. Let them know that you appreciate their product, but can no longer justify the expense due to DISH's actions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)