The hdmi cables that ship the H3 and joeys..

Mandeville985

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2016
Mandeville, La
would they be considered high speed cables? I only ask because I have an extra one from install and have a Sony sound base arriving tomorrow and enter to use the hdmi arc to hook it up to tv

would they be considered high speed cables? I only ask because I have an extra one from install and have a Sony sound base arriving tomorrow and enter to use the hdmi arc to hook it up to tv

When I had my H3 installed, the tech tried to sell me high speed hdmi cables for a 4k television. I didn't have a 4k TV so he just used whatever came out of the box, and they work fine. Supposedly you need better HDMI cables for 4K.

When I had my H3 installed, the tech tried to sell me high speed hdmi cables for a 4k television. I didn't have a 4k TV so he just used whatever came out of the box, and they work fine. Supposedly you need better HDMI cables for 4K.

I have 4K working here on regular old HDMI wires. I've tested the ones that come with DISH receivers and they work fine too. Unless your HDMI cables are really pitiful they should work fine. :)

I would assume that the cable that comes with the Hopper 3 are completely sufficient as this is a 4K capable receiver.
I think there is too much hype about cables in general.

i generally agree on not going overboard on cables. 'High End' to me is Blue Jean Cables which are a bargain compared with esoteric cables. If anybody was around playing with electronics 20 or more years ago, I think they will agree cables have improved dramatically. What you get today for your dollar is way superior. Amazon, Monoprice, Parts Express, etc.
are all good sources. The tech that installed my H3 said I can use HDMI that came with the receiver, but recommended if I am using good ones now, don't waste your time.

Reactions: DWS44 and Foxbat
When I had my hopper installed, the installer wanted to sell my an optical cable to go from the hopper to the tv. Said we would have better sound. If I understand it correctly both the tv and hopper are outputs only.

I've heard a ton of stories of installers up selling cables. TV salesmen in big box stores like Best Buy do the same thing. The idea they try to put in people's heads is that new equipment requires expensive new cables.

Here's the thing about HDMI cables, they are just a connector, the source and tv can't tell what kind of cable you are using. Also, "high speed" hdmi cables have been the standard for almost 10 years, and any other cable has been obsolete just as long. "Low speed" hdmi cables can't pass 1080p video, they max out at 720p and 1080i. It would be hard to find one of those now. 2006's high speed and 2016's high speed haven't changed at all.

If you do get the idea of wanting new cables, look at AmazonBasics. They "update" their cables for every standard upgrade and keep that nice $5-$7 price point. Much better than the $80 Best Buy tries to sell.

Reactions: VideoWhiz
My tech had my cables with the box of receives we was taking. When he went upstairs, I moved them. Maybe I'll up sell them to some customers.

Reactions: bmetelsky
My installers tried the up-sell to "premium High-Speed HDMI" cables on me, too. I bought the cables I needed for my entertainment center from Monoprice not that long ago, and my big deal was I needed length. The nylon mesh exterior on the cable is nice as it doesn't bind up or kink. I'm not running new HDMI cables unless we move and the entertainment center needs to be torn down and reassembled.

So I ended up giving one of the Dish cables to a friend and kept the other one for my "Pipe Full-o-Fun Kit #7" bag that I take whenever we travel. It's got all sorts of goodies that come in handy to connect things to other things, HDMI being one of them.

Other than that (and the other issues I outlined in the "I have a Hopper 3" thread) I'm super happy with the job they did. We had wet, heavy system snow a few weeks back and the old 1000.4 EA Dish would have been down for the count. The new Hybrid 1000.2 EA Dish gave us a signal throughout, with only sporadic signal loss on a few channels and even then, not for very long. The rain we've had so far doesn't even phase it, but Spring is Coming...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts