The HR21-700 Sucks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

samvonac

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 23, 2008
I was a long time user of cable and I built my own dvr using sage tv. It had worked flawlessly for years and never once missed any recordings. Finally made the switch to D* two days ago because they have more HD channels. I have to admit I was afraid of D* DVRs after reading many horror stories. Looks like those stories came true for me as well. I had set a total of 8 recordings and only 3 of them recorded anything. All the other ones just show a gray screen when I try to play them. Is there anything that can be done to recover the recordings or am I just hosed? This really blows. Should I ask for a new unit?

I called TS and they instructed me to reset the receiver which I did. After that, all the recordings that were blank just disappeared. She claims to have never seen this before which I find hard to believe.

I am on the National SW 0x1fe. I also am using an external drive. A Seagate Barracuda 750GB in an external enclosure. All VOD I have downloaded seem to work find so far.

Last edited:
"Should I ask for a new unit?"

Absolutely! First make sure everything it is not working after you remove the external drive as that could be the problem. Then when you get the new one check to see how it is working before adding the external. Kind of rare for someone to only have service fpr 2 days and already added a drive.

All of your progeams are stored on your external drive so that just might be the problem, like joed32 said remove the exterrnal drive reset the unit and use it a few days, a week or so, and see if you have any more troubles.

I tend to keeps alot of the programs I watch for awhile so I wanted to start right off with a larger drive. Has anyone else who uses an external drive have this problem as well?

For what it's worth, I've had an HR21 for about 2 months and an HR20 for about a year-and-a-half. I don't believe either has ever missed a recording. (at least not one important enough that I noticed)

I am not using any external drives [yet] however.

I had an HR20-700 that had overheating problems that shut down the DVR temps ran from 124 deg to 130 deg all the time no matter what I tryed. I called Direc and they sent me a HR-20-100 and I have never had another problem. The 100 runs a lot cooler between 101 and 106 degrees. I had to pay the shipping charges but I have had no problems ask them to send you a HR20-100. Good Luck

Thanks for the replys. So far, all my recordings have gone off without a hitch (knock on wood). Yes, I probably should have used the box first before attaching the external drive. I don't believe that the problem was with the external drive as there were a few occassions where I would tune to a channel and it would not show any picture, just a gray screen. In any case, I'll keep monitoring my recordings and hopefully everything works out.

Thanks for the replys. So far, all my recordings have gone off without a hitch (knock on wood). Yes, I probably should have used the box first before attaching the external drive. I don't believe that the problem was with the external drive as there were a few occassions where I would tune to a channel and it would not show any picture, just a gray screen. In any case, I'll keep monitoring my recordings and hopefully everything works out.

Good luck to you.

samvonac,

If you would like a little more discouraging news ....
Try to watch the 8 shows you recorded before sending the rec back.
When you get the new box, the programs on the EHD will be erased when you plug it into the new unit, as the new unit will reformat the drive so the D* rec can recognize it.

Jimbo

samvonac,

If you would like a little more discouraging news ....
Try to watch the 8 shows you recorded before sending the rec back.
When you get the new box, the programs on the EHD will be erased when you plug it into the new unit, as the new unit will reformat the drive so the D* rec can recognize it.

Jimbo

Too late.... the CSR told me to reset the receiver and after I did that the shows were gone. So far it has not missed any recordings. I haven't changed a thing since this first happened except for doing a reset. Maybe doing reset after you attach an external drive makes it more stable?

Too late.... the CSR told me to reset the receiver and after I did that the shows were gone. So far it has not missed any recordings. I haven't changed a thing since this first happened except for doing a reset. Maybe doing reset after you attach an external drive makes it more stable?

It's possible ...
D* normal suggestion is to do a reset, suppose to fix alot of things, and often does.

I suggestion, when you do a reset, make sure you go thru the menu's instead of the red button reset the CSR's always want you to do ... they tell you that because it's quick and easy, but you should go thru ther menu to do it, this way it shuts down properly, just like your computer, you don't just push the On/Off button (or at least should not be)

For those not aware of how to do this:

Menu > Set Up (last option on the screen, it use to be easier to find) > System Set Up > Reset > Restart Rec. > - in the yellow box ....

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)