The Jay Leno Show: Born Sept. 14, 2009 - Died Feb 12, 2010

So when they did the research for this did they think the Leno Audience from the 11:30 time slot would go to the 10pm time? What a major screw up .
Uh, they were RIGHT about that.

It is really important to be clear about what happened here: NBC took a gamble and was pretty-much right about every aspect of it, except the extent to which people who didn't like the decision would be able to sway public opinion against it. This falls into the same category as CBS bringing Jericho back after how public opinion was manipulated to their disadvantage in that case. And in this case, the folks who had the greatest incentive to seed public discontent were the affiliates. The affiliates attacked hard, or some others attacked hard, still to the affiliate's benefit. They fought for what was better for themselves, and they won the battle. The real question is if they're essentially jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. Only time will tell.

Uh, they were RIGHT about that.

It is really important to be clear about what happened here: NBC took a gamble and was pretty-much right about every aspect of it, except the extent to which people who didn't like the decision would be able to sway public opinion against it. This falls into the same category as CBS bringing Jericho back after how public opinion was manipulated to their disadvantage in that case. And in this case, the folks who had the greatest incentive to seed public discontent were the affiliates. The affiliates attacked hard, or some others attacked hard, still to the affiliate's benefit. They fought for what was better for themselves, and they won the battle. The real question is if they're essentially jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. Only time will tell.

Without affliates NBC does not have a distribution channel. The affliates were the ones up in arms because it dropped their ratings on the 11pm (10central) newscasts. The local news is where the affliates make all their money.

If NBC decided they were just going to become a cable company, Leno at 10 was probably a great move.

Without affliates NBC does not have a distribution channel.
"Without" voters, John isn't going to get re-elected as mayor. However, just because John makes some decisions as mayor that his constituents don't like, that doesn't mean that he will be "without" re-election support.

What you've done here is crafted a logical fallacy, technically referred to as the fallacy of the excluded middle. (The word "without" was a red flag.) As such, what you were claiming, using this as the premise of your claim, had no merit.

The affliates were the ones up in arms ...
Right, I made that point earlier. That's why they had motivation to try to manipulate the public, to try to pressure the network into doing what was better for them, the affiliates, instead of the network. (I'm pretty sure my message saying that did get posted.)

If NBC decided they were just going to become a cable company, Leno at 10 was probably a great move.
Nothing is simple. The question is: What will NBC -- what will all OTA channels -- be, 10, 15, 20 years from now? That isn't an idle question. That's a very critical question being asked by all levels of interest in the industry. There have been dozens of news articles about this, and hundreds of blog entries, and probably thousands of discussion threads on various forums. The question has been raised not even just from the context of what kind of programming will broadcasters provide, but even from the standpoint of whether or not it makes sense to take more bandwidth away from over-the-air broadcast, to be used for other types of services.

If you think that the future must be this viewers' paradise of free, high-quality, low-commercial scripted dramas and comedies, then you're smokin' somethin'. The Jay Leno Show represented one significant move towards what television will be in the future. It failed. That just means that the broadcasters have to try again, try again to change the cost structure to better match what it seems that advertisers will be willing to pay in the future (i.e., a lot less than now -- they seem to have realized that our eyes watching their commercials has been worth a lot less to them than originally thought).

This wasn't the first move, by the way. You can consider things like the decimation of original first-run programming on Saturday night to be one of the earlier moves in this migration. The ascendancy of reality programming is another of the earlier moves. And just as there were earlier moves that were not rejected (I won't say that they were "successful" because you'll probably object to that because you don't like those things), there were some other efforts made in the past that were rejected (such as Who Wants to be a Millionaire three or more times per week), and the Jay Leno Show simply gets added to that list.

However, the migration isn't over. The migration is strictly a reflection in the change in the value of our viewership, and it won't end until providing us the programming is clearly the best investment for the money being invested in providing us the programming.

That's why I wrote, "The real question is if they're essentially jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. Only time will tell." This migration is a series of efforts, each one trying to reestablish a balance that has been lost. The rejection of an attempt, or lack of rejection, is probably not as much related to the nature of the change as it is to chance. The Jay Leno Show was rejected because the folks who opposed it (and there will always be people arrayed to object to any efforts to reestablish balance in this industry) were lucky enough to exert their preference. Perhaps next time they won't be as lucky, and my point was that perhaps the next thing that is tried is worse.

I'm guessing that the next try will be either advertising overlays (essentially commercials presented on-screen, for a portion of the time during the program itself, on about a quarter of the screen), or the reverse commute (replacing some first-run scripted dramas and comedies with rebroadcasts of cable series from a few years ago). Maybe both.

Someone in another forum, this morning, really crystallized the issue for me, pointing out why the bad PR that the affiliates were able to stir up, in this case, was so important and why it was so critical for NBC to respond to it: While most of the time, that kind of bad PR can safely be ignored, and will just go away in time, this time NBC didn't have time to wait: NBC Universal is in the process of being acquired by Comcast, and while this kind of bad PR doesn't typically have lasting effect, in this case it could have been very readily turned into political pressure arrayed against the acquisition, thereby resulting in more onerous restrictions on the deal than otherwise. That provides a path from this bad PR directly to long-lasting negative impact on the network. That's why NBC couldn't just ignore this.

No matter what you think of O'Brien or Leno, NBC has made some really stupid programming decisions. Jeff Zucker ought to be selling bagels on the streets of Manhattan. Instead he is touted as something of a programming genius.

Here's the text of Conan's statement:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

Jay Leno should be ashamed of himself that he's even considering allowing this to happen. It's time to step down and allow Conan to continue as host of the Tonight Show.

Bicker, I agree with most of what you say. Since I am very close to the industry I know that all the local channels are going into a panic.

But I can also tell you that since the demise of the broadcast network is on the horizon, local OTA Channels are looking at life without the standard network model. The Jay Leno show was getting lower ratings for my local NBC affiliate than an independent LOW POWER channel and another rerun full power channel network. On one occasion the local NBC affiate lost the 10pm time slot to the local PBS affiliate. I know that the local NBC affiliate was one week away from purchasing syndicated programming for the 10pm time slot and preparing for the total loss of NBC as their programming source for the 2010/2011 season. The low power channel would have taken NBC programming in a second (and I think they are the secondary NBC affiliate here) but the full power channel is getting better ratings consistently with reruns of Law & Order: SVU.

This was not a little problem for NBC. There were major network affiliates that were going to defect in March if NBC didn't do something to at least try to maintain the ratings they had before the change. By "Major" I am talking about Boston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Denver, Orlando, Sacramento & St. Louis. Essentially all the top 20 markets that NBC itself doesn't own. (Mostly Hears & Gannett-owned stations)

You are right that NBC conceded the battle quickly due to the Cox "merger". But it was to prevent the long affilate mutiny which was BEYOND the planning stages. The mutiny was in the final stages and programming was being aquired by the local stations/station groups to go independent if necessary.

NBC had a gun held to its head. They could either call the affiliates' bluff (and it wasn't a bliff according to my source at the local NBC affiliate) or relent. NBC made the right decision.

Now, can NBC or another network have success at a live (or live-to-tape) show like Leno? Yes they can. But you can't just transplant a late-night format to prime time! You need "Ed Sullivan", not the same show transplated.

The bad press about Leno was well deserved, not because of the idea, but because of the execution! The Jay Leno show was billed as something different than late night! The first day of the show had great ratings! The numbers dropped like a rock and never stopped afterwards because the show itself was nothing special.

See ya
Tony

Jay Leno should be ashamed of himself that he's even considering allowing this to happen. It's time to step down and allow Conan to continue as host of the Tonight Show.
Nope, time for Conan to go elsewhere and put Jay back where he never should have been forced to leave... Conan lost the #1 late night ratings to Dave, let's see if Jay can get them back.

It looks like the root mistake by NBC was made back in 2004 to sign the contract with Conan instead of Leno for The Tonight Show. They should've left Jay alone for another decade!
Yes, Conan's popularity was growing at that time, but he had a very different audience (and not just the age group!) and moving him to The Tonight Show and its time slot was a bad idea!

if i remember correctly, the ratings for the tonight show started tanking almost as soon as conan took over and long before jay's primetime show debuted. i know it took a long tome for the late show with conan to become popular but nbc stuck with him. maybe, in time he could bring the tonight show ratings back up. that said i liked him better in late night and i wasn't crazy about him then.

i think the guy has a sense of humor and can continue to do well writing comedy. but he doesn't seem to have the timing and or ability to do stand up.

I agree 100%!!! I'm a little surprised at Leno because he's usually nothing but pure class.

I hope Conan lands @ Fox. I've always liked him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts