The Joy that is the 921

A_Noland

SatelliteGuys Regular
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Owasso, OK
NOT.

I've set two timers so far. The first one recorded the wrong channel. the second one didn't fire at all.

This is fun. :)

I have to agree with you. Also, not being able to watch any OTA with this bug sucks. I've got signal strength between 98 and 113 for all channels.

I haven't had a chance to mess to much with timers. And to be honest, it sounds like I'm going to be disappointed with that as well. I am going to set a bunch of timers tonight on SAT to see how it makes out. (since OTA will be a complete waste of time)

Don't feel bad. You are not alone. My receiver froze, had zig-zag lines all over the screen with a single black X in the middle.

It wouldn't respond to the remote and then spontaeneously reset itself.

The reboot took about 5 monutes to complete.

I can hardly wait for the next feature to show itself.

It's haunted.
Voom box decides to go to the program guide
as your watching something.
I know this is the 921 forum
These boxes are not 100%

Yes these are all things I have reported after getting my 921.

Again last night I was told by Echostar that if testing goes well a fix that should take care of most of the problems should be out within 30 days.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

At least you guys know when I give an honest review of a product I report everything the good and the bad. :)

I don't suppose that that one of the fixes will be an OTA guide? They should be embarrassed - How can they suggest OTA PVR with no guide?

The OTA guide is a "Future" feature not a bug fix, unfortunately.

An update on my 921 adventures. I had two OTA timers last night. First one failed. I figured out that OTA tuner was locked up so I re-booted. The second OTA tuner fired for the correct time. 1 for 3 isn't to bad. Guess we'll se if it records threat matrix tonight.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No the OTA Guide data is still aways away. They talked about this on the Retailer Charlie Chat the other day.

What did they say about it?

My plan is to buy either a 921 with an OTA guide or the HD DirecTivo receiver - first to market gets my $$$.

I am still in shock that the 921 has no OTA guide, after all, how long have they been developing this thing? By the time they have the guide I may be dead!

All my timers have fired perfectly for SAT recording. I have put it through a real workout the last couple of days.

I'm not even bothering with OTA right now. I just hope it gets fixed soon.

All I can say is I'm glad I decided I should wait for the DPP44 switch (for wiring/cable run reasons) before trying to buy a 921.

:D

I have heard from a few beta testers and understand that the OTA tuning bug seems to be fixed, however it appears a new bug has been added to the system.

It has been reported to me that when the 921 records now it erases other previously recorded programs.

Ahh, 1 step forward and two steps back. Got to love it. :D

I'm beging to think that the programmers at E* don't test there own code very good. Maybe they need to hire a unit tester.

Guess the good news is they did find it in beta and not after releaseing it to the public.

Well I got the whole dual DVR thing figured out for sat tuners. No complaints.
I like that the whole box does not seem to turn on when a timer fires when OFF. The record light shows what is happening. THis is way better when working with univeral remotes. Also, if a timer is active & you turn box off, it keeps on working!
Got to wait on the OTA fix to try & record OTA reliably.

One last bug: DO NOT turn the receiver off with a CD music channel on. When you turn back ON, you will get a black screen! Fixable by manually pressing a sat channel number (ex. 101) to tune elsewhere. WHen black you cannot get a menu or guide to view.

The unit is NEVER OFF. (unless unplugged)

By punching the off button, you are just turning the DISPLAY portion of the unit off. It is still running, processing, and recording.

Off is really nothing more than a glorified 'BLANK SCREEN'.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have heard from a few beta testers and understand that the OTA tuning bug seems to be fixed, however it appears a new bug has been added to the system.

It has been reported to me that when the 921 records now it erases other previously recorded programs.

Ahh, 1 step forward and two steps back. Got to love it. :D

Which is why I hooked my 5000 back up to catch Adventures of Baron Munchausen & Hudsucker proxy. Unfortunately that's SOL 11 Feb.

Mike Greer said:
I don't suppose that that one of the fixes will be an OTA guide? They should be embarrassed - How can they suggest OTA PVR with no guide?

I asked one of the 921 people at Dish's CES booth about when the OTA guide data would be available and he responded that the local station is responsible for providing this data. Not Dish.

It would be great, assuming the OTA bug was really fixed and that fix did not create other problems, if Dish would release a update for the OTA problem and continue to investigate and repair other problems in a later update.

RobbinM said:
I asked one of the 921 people at Dish's CES booth about when the OTA guide data would be available and he responded that the local station is responsible for providing this data. Not Dish.

I have talked to both Mark Jackson and Dave Kummer about this, and both say the information will be coming from Dish Network.

We are still a few months away of seeing any listings on the OTA Digital Channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)