The Latest Verizon Wireless News

What You Need to Know About Verizon’s New Plans and Prices http://www.cheatsheet.com/gear-styl...lans-and-prices.html/?a=viewall#ixzz3izYkfTbR
Verizon is the latest wireless carrier to abandon contracts, announcing that it no longer offers long-term service contracts and phone subsidies to customers. This change means customers now pay a monthly access fee for each phone on their account, and choose a data package that best fits their needs. The cost of any new wireless device will also be split across a 24-month period.While many carriers have opted to switch over gradually, Verizon has done it all at once. If you are currently under contract, you won’t see any immediate change. You also don’t have to change to the new plans, but you will in some cases save money depending on how your plan is structured.

This is wonderful for me!! My current plan is $60/month single for access and 1Gb data. New plan is $58.75 total for access and 3Gb data and picks up mobile hotspot. Part of the reduction is because with the new plan I get a 15% employeed discount which didn't apply to the single-line plans.

Another nice part is that once the phone is payed off the bill won't go up as it would under the old plans. I like that!!

Lloyd

After reading that articled, I noted this paragraph:
"Why are Verizon and other carriers ditching contracts? It comes down to money, of course. Wireless carriers were shelling out a lot of money to subsidize the cost of offering phones at a reasonable price. By passing the full cost of the phone onto the consumer, they no longer need to worry about that since you’re paying for the device in full."

That is a whole paragraph of a convenient fiction!! While the carriers have always talked about subsidizing the cost of the phones, for the most part they just weren't. Well other than an accounting trick I suppose. We've always paid full price for the phones, we just paid in different ways. Either with a higher subscription cost over a fixed contract time, or with a program such as 'edge'. When the programs such as Verizon's Edge came out, I did some math. Assuming you kept the phone and service for 2 years, the cost was nearly a wash no matter how you did it.

Yep, they now have plans that are cheaper by the amount that you would pay for a phone now. Hmmm. That's strange.....NOT!

A little off-topic. But I wanted 2nd phone on a different carrier because of some coverage issues. Was going to get AT&T plan with a Windows phone Lumia 640XL. Nice phone, price wasn't bad, but more than I wanted to pay. So I started digging around and found a Lumia 640 (non-XL), 5" vs 5.7" but otherwise nearly the same, on their GoPhone deal. Phone was $80, Target gave a $20 gift card if you bought the first month so I did. Great phone, nice size and the service is wonderful. I'll start another thread with more about this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts