The manual housecleaning myth

cheezwiz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
After reading the posts about the necessity to keep old shows deleted manually, or the system would self destruct, I decided to test it.

My system has now been running for two weeks with 39 to 5x minutes available for recordings. It still works the same as always. It has not self destructed or acted any stranger than before. It just keeps showing that 39-5x minutes remain for space. It would appear that is is only deleting old shows as needed for new ones.

I just thought of another Rant. When I signed up, they tried to get me to buy equipment extended warranties. Why should I? I only "rent" the reciever from Dish. If I cancel my sub, I have to send it back. Why should I pay for their equipment maintenance?

cheezwiz said:
I just thought of another Rant. When I signed up, they tried to get me to buy equipment extended warranties. Why should I? I only "rent" the reciever from Dish. If I cancel my sub, I have to send it back. Why should I pay for their equipment maintenance?

I was told that if it breaks, then they charge to fix it. It's either a charge if they have to come out to fix it, or if you send it in to fix it. Granted, I could send it back and cancel my service, but I don't really *want* to do that. So, was I duped? Should I cancel it now?

If you buy your equipment: You have a one year equipment warranty and at least a 6 month installation warranty.

Don't waste $5.99 a month.

Now where DHA differs is that they will ship a replacement rcvr instead of sending an installer. To send an installer outside of the warranty costs $99 per trip.

DHPP lowers the cost to $29, includes all recievers, no matter what age.

Yes, the DHPP lowers the cost of service calls from $99 to $29, extends the 1-yr eqmt warranty for non-lease customers, eliminates the $14.95 Advanced Exchange S&H fee and provides for a free "DISH Mover" basic reinstallation if you havn't already had a move within the year.

It's up to each individual to decide if it's worth it to him.

I will cancel my sub before I pay to service rented equipment.. Thats just me.. Dish is certainly not the end-all to TV. If they want to keep me as a sub, then they will fix it. If not then basic cable with free install is only a phone call away. Now if this was a rent-to-own deal, that would be different. But since I am always expected to send it back, No Way!

cheezwiz said:
I will cancel my sub before I pay to service rented equipment.. Thats just me.. Dish is certainly not the end-all to TV. If they want to keep me as a sub, then they will fix it.
I'll "threaten" the same... Otherwise, if a piece of equipment fails or acts up, they'll either help me diagnose it, negating the need for a $99 "service call", or I'll tell 'em to cancel. I can certainly swap out a receiver or a multiswitch or LNBs once it's determined where the problem is.

cheezwiz said:
I will cancel my sub before I pay to service rented equipment.. Thats just me.. Dish is certainly not the end-all to TV. If they want to keep me as a sub, then they will fix it. If not then basic cable with free install is only a phone call away. Now if this was a rent-to-own deal, that would be different. But since I am always expected to send it back, No Way!

You have a lifetime warranty on DHA leased equipment. You will only be charged for receiver repair if you caused the damage. In home service is another issue. You can either pay for someone to come to your house, or exercise your right to cancel your subscription and go back to cable. (DirecTV also charges $5.99 for in home service - unless you were a Primestar customer).

The extended service plan also covers shipping. You can pay $14.95 to get a replacement, and ship yours back, or pay for the service plan.

One of the reasons the DHA plan is cheaper ($5+ per month) than the old DHP is becuase DISH quit charging EVERYONE for the service plan. So, now you have an option.

I personally don't push the DHPP. If you like the insurance, get it. If not, be willing to pay for the consequences. I personally would rather keep the $71.88 in my pocket, and dole it out only if necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)