The Mentalist

It was sad when he described Jane's wife and daughter. Just what Jane needed to put bullets in the man.
It certainly was, but it was nice to see Jane maintain his composure while leading Red John down the path of his own destruction. My biggest concern was not if Jane would kill Red John if given an opportunity, but if Patrick was carrying a gun since he doesn't like handling weapons. I'm glad RJ ate some bullets for lunch and took a dirt nap. However, for a moment I though the show's producers were going to let him slip-away and Jane would continue to pursue him next season. To be honest, I'm a little surprised (although pleasantly so) they didn't have a major cliffhanger going into the fall like so many other shows.

Anyway, now that RJ is dead what's next? Does the show now focus solely on Jane and the CBI solving murders? Does Patrick develop a "love interest" next seasons - and perhaps something with Lisben? Does the Red John story end or does the CBI now go after all the corrupt bureaucrats on RJ's payroll. Better yet, do RJ's allies now come after Jane? Perhaps he has an evil twin or son? Should be interesting...

Apparently I'm not the only one pondering the "life after Red John" scenario or weather Jane killed the real Red John or merely one of his cronies. OK, here's what I think...Red John is actually a secret group consisting of a handful of highly influential sickos. While I certainly feel that Jane killed the man who slaughtered his wife and child, there are other "Red John" members who are equally culpable in these murders, and their all their other perversions. That's why getting rid of Red John doesn't really alter the look and feel of the show next season.

Here is an interesting article:

Fully Story (very good summary BTW)

..."So is that it? Is the Red John mystery over? I don’t think so. Red John leaves behind a lot of mysteries that need to be resolved, all of them nifty opportunities for story. Who was this man? How was he able to pull of his intricate, elaborate crimes? How did he convince his lackeys to do the things they did, even willfully, joyfully killing themselves? (See: The lady assassin that threw herself out of the hotel window in last night’s episode.) Did Red John leave behind deadly contingency plans in the event of his demise?

I could see the early episodes of season 4 exploring many of these questions, with Patrick Jane helping Lisbon from behind bars, playing Hannibal Lecter (minus the serial killing cannibalism) to her Clarice Starling. Then again, maybe not. Because the bigger question is this: Was Bradley Whitford playing the real Red John, or was he playing a man posing as Red John? My guess is that next year will pivot on a disagreement between Patrick and Lisbon about the answer. One will be convinced that Red John is dead; the other won’t. It would be a nice role reversal if Lisbon is the one who becomes the obsessed conspiracy theorist fixated with the notion that Patrick put down the wrong man. She’ll succeed, and Patrick, humbled and wracked with guilt, will have to deal with the fact that he murdered an “innocent” — “innocent” insofar as Whitford’s character would be revealed to be a man just like him, a tragic victim of Red John’s evil, warped and manipulated into acting in an evil manner himself. And so it will go that when Patrick meets the real Red John — most likely in the final episode of the series — he’ll have the chance at a do-over. Will our hero once again choose bloody vengeance, or will he choose a different, better path for himself?

Those are my thoughts. Yours? Do you think the true Red John was exposed? If not, who do you think it could be?"

Read the Full Story

The gas store attendant. They showed how Patrick figured it out. I was just amazed when they walked into that room and there the guy was. LOL!
Yep, I actually had to watch that part of the show again to understand his reasoning. A little far-fetched perhaps (don't personally know many convenience store owners show are criminal masterminds in designing complicated explosives and hacking credit cards processing systems) but it worked. To be honest, it seems to me that Red John would have other ways to access the information about Hightower's cousin.

Good article. I wondered that myself about LaRoche's eyes. Seemed guilty or anxious about something, but then Patrick did bluff him out of that list in a really tricky manner.

the fellow that plays laroche has been around a long time in various roles,he was born like that. i forget his name . just for your info....regards

the fellow that plays laroche has been around a long time in various roles,he was born like that. i forget his name . just for your info....regards

Pruitt Taylor Vince, "Has nystagmus, a condition which causes a person's eyes to move involuntarily", which explains why he plays twitchy, nervous, sometimes disturbed characters. At first I didn't like his character of LaRoche but, like a fungus, he has grown on me.

I noticed Michael Gaston, who played Detective Mike Costello, also played Gale Bertram (Director of CBI on The Mentalist) the past couple years. I find that a big odd because his character, although not well-liked, wasn't involved with any shenanigans nor fired or killed last season. I can't see him playing two roles on two CBS shows so I can only assume he will have been "reassigned" when The Mentalist returns. We shall see.

Oh, one final note...I'm sure all "suspected" Bertram was involved with Red John. Even after Jane killed Red John, I thought that Red John's conections went much further than Van Pelt's fiance.

I noticed Michael Gaston, who played Detective Mike Costello, also played Gale Bertram (Director of CBI on The Mentalist) the past couple years. I find that a big odd because his character, although not well-liked, wasn't involved with any shenanigans nor fired or killed last season. I can't see him playing two roles on two CBS shows so I can only assume he will have been "reassigned" when The Mentalist returns. We shall see.

Oh, one final note...I'm sure all "suspected" Bertram was involved with Red John. Even after Jane killed Red John, I thought that Red John's conections went much further than Van Pelt's fiance.

I just wanted to add that I still have "suspecions" about Bertram and I also find it odd that he's playing characters in two CBS primetime shows. This is also taboo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts