Status
Not open for further replies.

tornado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Tulsa
I saw the movie 2012. I thought it was pretty good.

I was reading the critical reviews and they were not so pristine. I always take that with a grain of salt however.

I thought it was pretty good, but I do not want to give it away. I like movies like that. I am 47 years old, but I really got into it. When I viewed TV after I got home last night I felt like the rest of the world somehow had missed what took place as if it was real. I really felt numb to reality. Like I say I really got into it. I do not go to the theater to see that many movies, except for animation, but when I could not get anybody else to go I went by myself. I did not care and to tell the truth I sort of feel like going back today to see it again. I just might do that. It was only $6.50 before 4pm.

Yes it was earth shattering. I went back and saw this movie for the second time. The 3:30pm showing had only a small percentage of the seats sold, only a tenth of 500. I like having the theater to myself. When the earth gets destroyed only a small percentage, like the small percentage attending the movie will survive. I will not be seeing it again anytime soon due to lack of funds but twice is enough for now. Maybe I have become calloused, but the next closest person to me appeared to be wiping away tears. This time around I noticed a satellite antenna being used by the scientists in the movie. I guess they have Dish, interesting. I give this movie four stars. It deserves it to me.
Was it earth shattering?

Last edited:
Looks like some good special effects, but I don't think anything bad is gonna happen in 2012.
This whole thing is getting increasing attention. It might build to such a level of expectation that some nut(s) might just try to make something really bad happen, like in Y2K.

From the limited amount I've learned, the Mayan calendar is actually 3 (?) discrete calendars of different lengths that progress together. The longest is on a 5,000+ year cycle and that's the one that "ends" in 2012. They all come back to start at that point, if memory serves. I think they simply intended that the cycles would all start anew in 2012 ??

Will the galactic convolution have any significance? Are we on the cusp of a pole shift ??

Now what Edgar Cayce had to say might have significance...we just need to figure it out...!

http://www.edgarcayce.org/2012.asp
http://www.2012supplies.com/what_is_2012/edgar_cayce.html

Last edited:
Okay... as long as you are going to this movie for the stunning visual effects, the movie will meet your expectations. Otherwise, this movie BLOWS!

Every single character is a cliché found in every disaster movie. Worse than that...they are BAD clichés of every disaster movie ever made. Let's see...
sub-plot #1) you have the divorcé who fights his wife into believing him that something bad is going to happen and you have the obligatory second husband or boy fried who is the antithesis of this character. How do they survive the disaster?
Subplot #2) you have the too-smart scientist that uncovers the Jacuzzi from hell to show that something really bad is going to happen and all his peers who think he is nuts. Can he convince anyone in time for prevent certain death?
Subplot #3) you have all the politicians like the president and the world's worst impersonation of Governor Arnold assuring people everything is fine while at the same time they are trying to manage infighting between scientist which disagree which way the sun is going to rise in the morning.

Mix those in with some completely unfathomably baaaaaad science that any high school science student (who pays attention) would question. Add some totally irrational explanations to the bad science (if neutrinos are causing the core to overheat, how come every living thing on the planet isn't being irradiated and exterminated first?).

Add some of the most banal dialog (take the freeway it will be half the time!) that will make your eyes roll to inspect your frontal lobe to see if you still have some cognative abilities and your brain hasn't stopped working.

Include impossible situations for the main characters to survive and...

Shake well, put in a blender and pureé... and you have the disaster movie Du jour!

It is truly an awful movie EXCEPT the visual effects of the world ending. "The Day After Tomorrow" was much, much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts