"The Movie Studios' Big 3D Scam"

They are going to milk Avatar. There is going to be 3 releases:

1. Earth Day April 22nd - movie only no extras
2. November - Full 2D release with extras
3. Unspecified time 2011 release in 3D

I may rent the BD at some point, but I will buy it when it's in 3D, if I have the compatible equipment by then.

I'll probably get milked on Avatar. It is that good, but I would prefer 3D only. I went to see quite a few animated 3D with my nephew and Monsters vs. Aliens was the best and I thought it was really good. The new Panasonic 3D plasmas are supposed to be great with better black level than Pioneer Kuro.

Nothing in my annual budget for 3D this year. I am saving for a new AVR, a big one so that will be it for the year. This is good because it gives me a breather to get over the 3D hype and I'll enter it when the prices come down and the technology is finalized.

However- I enjoy 3D and have quite a few 3D dvd anaglyph glasses type already. I also don't mind the gimmicks done for just 3D effect. I call it entertainment! I don't have to have all my presentations close to reality. Just entertain me and I'm happy. If that means having Jack Sparrow thrust his sword to the tip of my nose then great!

Thanks for the update on Avatar. Saw it twice in the theater and to do that is really different for me. But, I'll buy the full Noverber version with extras and rent the first release.

It's quite possible it might be available in a package deal prior to that with either Samsung or Panasonic (whoever wins that exclusivity war).

S~

FWIW, I got a full 3d setup this last weekend with the Panasonic Plasma, Panasonic 3d bluray player, 4 pairs of glasses. I went from a pioneer elite pro-fhd1 (incredible tv) to the Panasonic VT20 3d model. I was surprised how good the Panasonic is in 2d. It is also pristine clear on 3d - unlike the samsung which has severe ghosting of the 3d image. The only blurays available are Monsters Vs Aliens in 3d (from Samsung special package) and the demo 3d disk with the panny bluray. The quality is amazing. We will have to wait and see on how long other content takes to come out. Looks like end of 2010 for most stuff.

:cool:
FWIW, I got a full 3d setup this last weekend with the Panasonic Plasma, Panasonic 3d bluray player, 4 pairs of glasses. I went from a pioneer elite pro-fhd1 (incredible tv) to the Panasonic VT20 3d model. I was surprised how good the Panasonic is in 2d. It is also pristine clear on 3d - unlike the samsung which has severe ghosting of the 3d image. The only blurays available are Monsters Vs Aliens in 3d (from Samsung special package) and the demo 3d disk with the panny bluray. The quality is amazing. We will have to wait and see on how long other content takes to come out. Looks like end of 2010 for most stuff.
Okay you are making some of us envious. Hopefully some of the dust will settle in the next year. At the moment the Panasonic seems to have some good early comments including from Consumer Reports.

Wonder when some Blu-ray 3D will be available for sale. So far Monsters Vs alianes is only available in special packages.

Let's all go over to sampatterson's house! I'll bring the ABTs! If jrp or some of the others don't beat me to it.

Sam- are you going to get the DirecTV 3D channel? I would if I had your setup. I thought they said at CES launch date was in April.

I recall I waited until Blockbuster got a good supply of rental disks in BD and HDDVD before I jumped on that upgrade. That was about 2 years after first release.

Hey guys, we just opened a new section of our forum dediceated to 3D TV discussions. Enjoy!
I am moving this thread there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts