The My Dish web site usability for changing programming could be improved

Altitudinous

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 6, 2020
Northern NM, Northeast FL
I've been out of town for 3 months. I turned off the local channels while I was gone because there were zero people here to watch the TV. I am back now. One would think that one could go to my.dish.com and go to My Programming and be able to quickly add back that package of local channels.

You try: My Account - My Programming - Add-on Packages...nope, has a bunch of premium channels.
You try: Explore Core Packages...nope, wants to show you other main packages you could switch to.
You try: Upgrades - Local Channels...this sounds promising...you have the opportunity to "find local channels". Since you're logged into your own account, the local channels are already displayed there on the screen. Trouble is, there is no apparent way to just say "add these to my programming". Nothing is clickable. You put in a zip code thinking maybe that will cause a button to appear to add these to your programming and you get zip, nothing, just sits there.

The efforts by Dish to dumb down this interface have been successful. It's now so dumb that it just doesn't work. The one thing it's good at is showing you what you currently subscribe to. Not that long ago, you could make changes in a few minutes. Not now.

I guess they've made it so you have to CALL IN for such a simple change. It seems ridiculous to me.

Last edited:
So I logged in to the account of a relative that does not subscribe to locals (I handle their account being the tech guy in the family) and was able to find the option to add them back. My Account > My Programming > Add on Packages, then on the top of the page you have a drop-down menu where you select Family & Lifestyle and you should see the option to add locals. Kinda dumb design if you ask me, but I at least saved you the phone call.

I've seen several websites screwed up by an "upgrade". It seems done for no reason except so the IT folks can justify their job.
And worse still, they claim the changes will enhance usability and make things easier for the customer! Ha! My own workplace has repeatedly done this until I can't find anything. :mad: And what is it with this SharePoint crap? It's a Microsoft plot to squeeze more money out of us.

My Account > My Programming > Add on Packages, then on the top of the page you have a drop-down menu where you select Family & Lifestyle and you should see the option to add locals. Kinda dumb design if you ask me, but I at least saved you the phone call.
Well, I made the phone call right after posting my rant, but thanks for trying! The agent said they don't really know about "the app" but that they could add the package for me. I said no, I want to talk to the "app" person to have them explain where this function is. He said no problem, there's zero wait time so I'll transfer you. A half hour waiting on hold later, I gave up.

Your procedure worked. Many thanks. I think what happened is my page of Add On Packages had scrolled down by one mouse wheel click, so the menu containing the Family & Lifestyle item was not visible. All that was visible was Premiums because that is their default first page when you go into Add On Packages.

If I ever talk to the "app" person, I will suggest that the ability to go to Upgrades - Local Channels, and then actually DO the upgrade to add local channels at that point, might make sense.

I agree that the new web site makes it hard to change programming. An agent had given me gallery free for one month. In February I noticed my bill had increased. I now was going to pay for gallery. It took me 10 minutes to navigate to the correct place to remove gallery from my programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen several websites screwed up by an "upgrade". It seems done for no reason except so the IT folks can justify their job. Brainstorm, if it works, leave it alone.
Just like forcing the Hopper 3 software onto the Hopper 2, breaking the clear separation of inputs and outputs that's existed since the 622 days, totally screwing up recording settings, getting rid of 4x speed, etc.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I always find it is easier to just use your hopper to log in and change programming. I only use the website is If I want to explore and add offers.
I had never tried that in my 8 years with Dish; thank you for the suggestion. I see that in that Hopper My Account app, it looks simple to add/remove locals and other programming. I'm used to using the website for everything because I use it to turn my owned Joeys and Wally on and off. Now, if I'm traveling, can I use Dish Anywhere to remotely get into my Hopper's My Account app...jk...nevermind. :)

Just like forcing the Hopper 3 software onto the Hopper 2, breaking the clear separation of inputs and outputs that's existed since the 622 days, totally screwing up recording settings, getting rid of 4x speed, etc.
I figured out all but the bold phrase. What do you mean by that?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I figured out all but the bold phrase. What do you mean by that?
Eh, probably shouldn't have said that, the recording scheduling on the Hopper has always been goofy in one way or another. But I ran into a new one today -- I had set a timer to record a show tonight, then realized that there was an earlier showing this afternoon. It wouldn't let me record the earlier showing -- the "record" option was there, but clicking on it just silently did nothing! I had to delete the scheduled recording tonight to be able to record the one this afternoon. I don't remember it ever doing that before...

Agree 100%. The new website (and app which is basically the website wrapped in the app) are horrible. I got a survey the other day when I was on the website and provided my thoughts on it. I too miss the old site. This new site is difficult to use and navigate. I’m a millennial so it’s not like I’m not familiar with using the Internet, I grew up with it almost always in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I concur as well, the old web site was much better. The new one really sucks. Whoever approved the new design should be shown the door.