The Mystery of 61.5 TP's 20 and 22 is Solved

psumattDE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Wilmington, DE
Well,
I must now happily post about my tech visit this morning. Previously, off of 61.5 - I received signal levels in the low 90's for the majority of the TP's, except for TP 20 and 22, where I saw levels of around 70 and 75, respectively.

Not a death wish, but the channels on these two (Food HD, ESPN2-HD, etc.) were the first to go in real heavy rain. Then, once my 622 received the 3.63 software, these two TP's dropped to around 58 and 62. Very odd I thought.

So, I emailed back and forth with DISH engineers over the issue, and before they would point to the software as a problem, they said, "we'll give you a free tech visit - let them check your dish first". I agreed - hey, it was free.

So, the tech came out this morning, told me to go the peaking TP on 61.5 (which apparently is TP12) - and we saw a reading of 92. He was like, "oh, that's very good". That's when I showed him Food HD on TP 20, and the reading was 58. (It's dark and rainy here today). He was like "Oh, that's NOT good". :p

So, he hopped up on the roof - I saw the connection drop - then, a few minutes later, it re-connected. I now get a 87 reading on TP20, 92 on TP22, and on the "home" TP12, it comes in at 114. I've never seen readings like this before off of 61.5. The tech came in, and said he had to adjust the dish "ever so slightly". So in the end, this "slight adjustment" raised my signal levels 30 points on these two "trouble TP's" and 10+ points on the others. I was amazed.

So, if anyone's seeing these issues on 61.5 or on 129 - have a tech come out. They may just need to adjust the dish a bit. The only thing I can think of in the end is that maybe since these two TP's were not being used when I was first installed, I wasn't ever properly aligned. My thanks go out to DISH for the free service call.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Glad they gave you a free service call and fix your signal issue. Yes, dishes do move ever so slightly over years time either due to the bolts not being tight, the metal bending, or even the attached surfacing changing (roof, fence, or decking materials warping or bending, for example).

Rule of thumb for aligning the dish are to max out the signal on the weaker TP's so that your stronger TP's will be pegged but so will your weaker TP's. But to conserve time, tech's use only their signal meter to peak out and not confirm the readings at the receiver to check if the lower powered TP's are also peaked out.

But since 61.5 has such a pretty good powered satellite, the chances are good that you're gonna get a good signal on every TP. It's quite different for 129 since that satellite is medium-powered but with an inadequately sized dish, you really want to max out your weaker TP's so that all of the signals are maxed out for 129.

i am 95 right now on tp 12 of 61.5
15 is 72
17 is 57, crap!
20 is 62
22 is 59/60
Seems i need to call to get it tweaked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts