The New Sling App from Dish for Android is beautiful

DBS Commando

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
For those with standalone sling boxes (ie. not the USB dongles), Dish released an updated version of the Sling app that fully supports Android 4.x+ devices as well as properly supports tablet devices. Looks great and is very smooth.

Hopefully they can bring the same experience to the actual Dish Network app!

I just got an update from the play market and it's a huge huge change for teh good to the DISH Remote access app

So many additions or improvements

I don't have the 622 even on a sling but it let's me see the programming and other stuff to change the TV via the tablet

Then of course where it shines is the sling 722 and it also has hopper stuff but I don't have that yet

I just got an update from the play market and it's a huge huge change for teh good to the DISH Remote access app

So many additions or improvements

I don't have the 622 even on a sling but it let's me see the programming and other stuff to change the TV via the tablet

Then of course where it shines is the sling 722 and it also has hopper stuff but I don't have that yet

About time. Looks like they added tablet support too finally

The app does look good. The UI is much improved. It connects really quickly to the receiver, and you are looking at your recordings or guide in no time.

However, I've not gotten much past that.

On my phone, if I try and view a recording or a live show, I get a blank screen.

On my tablet, I can't even get that far. If I click on the settings button it crashes. If I try and view a recording or a live show, the progress bar freezes at "Optimizing 100%..." and I have to use the task manager to kill the app.

I have a hopper with sling adapter. The test was performed on my home network, which is nice and fast and was functioning well. My phone is a galaxy SIII and my tablet is an older galaxy tab 10.1. Each has the most recent OS (4.1.x for the phone, 3.1.x for the tablet).

Ken

The app does look good. The UI is much improved. It connects really quickly to the receiver, and you are looking at your recordings or guide in no time.

On my phone, if I try and view a recording or a live show, I get a blank screen.

On my tablet, I can't even get that far. If I click on the settings button it crashes. If I try and view a recording or a live show, the progress bar freezes at "Optimizing 100%..." and I have to use the task manager to kill the app.

I have a hopper with sling adapter. The test was performed on my home network, which is nice and fast and was functioning well. My phone is a galaxy SIII and my tablet is an older galaxy tab 10.1. Each has the most recent OS (4.1.x for the phone, 3.1.x for the tablet).

Ken

I would call, chat, or PM a DIRT member with details so they can report it. New versions usually always have some bugs, and with so many different types of android devices it's hard to predict what will happen on every one.

Ken

Yea EVO4g everything works fine...My Toshiba Thrive, nothing...I get the guide...cant even get to settings just crashes...Try to stream gets to 100% blank screen and tells me its 100% never goes away....Been sending in error reports...

Ken

Try rebooting the Hopper.

It is much improved on my android device.

Now hopefully they will improve the windows situation. The website/plugin are a horrible way to access dish compared to these apps and is not even available at all on my surface.

Perhaps one can download an app emulator for PC viewing instead of using the website.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The next day I tried it again, and had success on the Galaxy SIII. The 10.1 tablet, though, is still broken in the same was as I reported above.

I dunno what changed to get the SIII working --- I did reboot the hopper, but it could have been a change on their end.

Looking at another thread (in the hopper subforum), I uninstalled and re-installed the app (there also seems to have been an update) on my tablet. Initial tests indicate that it's now working fine!

Really nice. Cool beans.

Ken

Try going into the phone and tablet settings menu and choose Developer Options-un check Do Not Keep Activities.

I downloaded the app yesterday, and it works perfectly. On previous Droid apps, I couldn't access any of my OTA recordings, only physically on the receiver. But now I can access EVERY recording on my DVR, including the OTA stuff.

Just side loaded the new version onto the kindle fire hd,works great.Seems much more responsive than the 1.4 version.Looks better too.

Haven't really played with it too much but from what I saw, it was much more functional than the previous version.

Dish's refusal to follow Android's design scheme still bugs me. You can tell that they try to port as much of it from iOS as possible. Very irritating and slows down the app's responsiveness. The most annoying thing is that they renamed the app to "anywhere" so that it looks like it says "dish" (with the logo in the icon) and then "anywhere" *face palm*

My problem is I have a stand alone slingbox device, and is not the adapter for dish -- With this update, it now tells me "I can enjoy watching live TV" if I order the sling box adapter.. Uhh.. I've already got the said slingbox, just not the dish adapter. It was working in the previous versions without a problem.. I had to link my slingbox account with my dishonline.com account, so now I log in to it, and the bridged connection is gone, and says "Connect a sling adapter", click on that, it brings me to the dish page telling me how to order the sling adapter..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)