The New Twilight Zone - 2019

DJdish

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
Mexico City
I'm a huge fan of the original, but even though I've tried the 1985 and 2002 versions I think they didn't come close to the quality content of the original one.
So I've set myself up to watch the firs 2 episodes of this new 2018 version.

The first episode, well, I couldn't even finish watching,
I watched the second one, Nightmare at 30,000 feet, thought it would be a reboot of the original episode, but not exactly.
Not bad, but then again, for me there is no substitute for the original episode with William Shatner.

IMO there won't be anything like the original series with Rod Serling.

The original Twilight Zone is one of the very few classic TV shows I enjoy. I love it! So many memorable episodes, so many points made. Only saw a small handful of the 80s reboot and didn't care for it that much. The 2002 reboot wasn't that great either but I did like the remake of Monsters Due On Maple Street and the continuation of It's a Good Life. Also the retooled theme with Korn was kickass.

To Serve Man, Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up, Maple Street, Obsolete Man are always listed at the top of the best episodes, love them all but Nick of Time, Willoughby, The Hitch-Hiker and a bunch of others that don't get enough credit are my favorites.

I don't have enough interest in CBS' streaming service or streaming service in general to watch the fourth iteration of this show. If it aired on CBS TV I would tune in and give it a try, since it's online only, I'm not going to make the effort.

To Serve Man, Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up, Maple Street, Obsolete Man are always listed at the top of the best episodes, love them all but Nick of Time, Willoughby, The Hitch-Hiker and a bunch of others that don't get enough credit are my favorites.

Those are what I call real classic episodes, but sure, there are so many more, actually, there are just a very few that I don't like from the original series.

I remember watching reruns as a kid, watching them with my father, or at one of my aunt's that original series, was family friendly even though some episodes could be kinda spooky (Talking Tina.)

Having said that, I though it was sad, to see this new 2019 reboot having to resort to language not suitable for the whole family, yep, as soon as I heard the word vagina in the pilot episode, then more foul languge and some F-bombs I thought this reboot would make Rod Serling feel sorry for the attempt to re-make his series.

Last edited:
Reactions: FTA4PA
I did not realize that, that's disappointing to hear. CBS might as well put it on Showtime then.

I have nothing against profanity, nudity or whatever but there there are places where it's just not needed and shouldn't be. Kind of like some of the things they do on Fuller House, there's no reason to try to be more 'modern' just to be more modern.

You left out my all time favorite, The Odyssey of Flight 33!

Those are what I call real classic episodes, but sure, there are so many more, actually, there are just a very few that I don't like from the original series.

Yes, especially the one about beauty which I saw as a boy and it scared me s-less. Eye of the Beholder. I was afraid that I would suddenly become ugly. Also, Long Live Walter Jameson. After I saw that one, I was terrified that I would all of a sudden turn to dust!

Reactions: norman881
These new ones are on City Tv in Canada on Thursday nights 10 - 11pm ET. It started last night with the first two eps. It's out in the open, FTA not a feed so I can post about it.

C-band, sat 111.1W 4105 V DVB-S2 8PSK 4140 Fec = 1/2

Reactions: N5XZS
These new ones are on City Tv in Canada on Thursday nights 10 - 11pm ET. It started last night with the first two eps. It's out in the open, FTA not a feed so I can post about it.

C-band, sat 111.1W 4105 V DVB-S2 8PSK 4140 Fec = 1/2

I´d like to know what is CIty TV doing about the language...

I don't know, was there any?

Unfortunately, I'm still sick from last Saturdays extreme food poisoning and Emergency room visit, and didn't catch that the first two episodes were on last night. I usually check my FTA TitanTv guide and scan ahead around the clock, but missed it until this morning due to still feeling off, (going through waves of quite sick, and only 1/2 quite sick) and going to bed early.

I guess I'll find out next Thursday, or maybe my heirs will after my Mio records it, lol.

Probably nothing. Canada and the CBSC aren't as uptight about language and nudity as the US and the FCC are. In the late 90s/early 2000s, prior to locals being available on Dish/DirecTV when I had my antenna up, I could pick up 10-15 channels from Toronto and other areas of Canada and there was very little if any censorship. I didn't remember the particulars until I just looked it up just now. Back in 2000, the Canadian OTA network CTV ran The Soprano's completely uncut. I had Dish at the time, but didn't subscribe to HBO. My first glimpse of Tony, Carmela, Medow, AJ and the rest came courtesy of CFTO 9.

Here's the article about it from back then

"The Sopranos" set to make conventional network premiere, beginning September 17th on CTV

Here are the complaints it generated :D

https://www.cbsc.ca/decisionsarchive/20-0102/20-0102-0104+_PD_E.pdf

If there were no problems airing The Soprano's uncut in 2000, I can't imagine airing The Twilight Zone uncut in 2019 would even ping on the radar.

Reactions: N5XZS and DJdish
Probably nothing. Canada and the CBSC aren't as uptight about language and nudity as the US and the FCC are. In the late 90s/early 2000s, prior to locals being available on Dish/DirecTV when I had my antenna up, I could pick up 10-15 channels from Toronto and other areas of Canada and there was very little if any censorship. I didn't remember the particulars until I just looked it up just now. Back in 2000, the Canadian OTA network CTV ran The Soprano's completely uncut. I had Dish at the time, but didn't subscribe to HBO. My first glimpse of Tony, Carmela, Medow, AJ and the rest came courtesy of CFTO 9.

Here's the article about it from back then

"The Sopranos" set to make conventional network premiere, beginning September 17th on CTV

Here are the complaints it generated :D

https://www.cbsc.ca/decisionsarchive/20-0102/20-0102-0104+_PD_E.pdf

If there were no problems airing The Soprano's uncut in 2000, I can't imagine airing The Twilight Zone uncut in 2019 would even ping on the radar.

Thanks for the feedback, and I was wondering.

I had my Shaw Direct sub until a couple of years ago, so I wasn't surprised to hear the F-bombs, on channels like Showcase, or some milder but not suitable for US Broadcast words, on Space channel.

So yep, I knew that CSBC was more lax on that than the FCC, but I thought of City TV as a broadcast channel, even though nowadays, I guess it would be quite strange than a person in Canada would get City TC or Global or CTV via air antenna, as I understand a very high percentage get their TV signals only by cable or satellite, and no air antennas.

Having said that, I though it was sad, to see this new 2019 reboot having to resort to language not suitable for the whole family, yep, as soon as I heard the word vagina in the pilot episode, then more foul languge and some F-bombs I thought this reboot would make Rod Serling feel sorry for the attempt to re-make his series.

Part of it has to do with the society we live in now. The other part has to do with networks like CBS not caring.

I don't use profanity myself and I don't like hearing it, even though I'm a millennial, but even teenagers now swear like truck drivers and parents don't do anything about it.

That being said, I agree with you. What happened to family-friendly science-fiction? Every sci-fi show now has writers forcing profanity into the scripts. Star Trek Discovery, The Expanse, Lost in Space, anything on Syfy, anything on SVOD streaming services... you just get tired of it after a while. You don't need to use profanity to exclaim a point or emotion. That's where using regular adjectives and just having good acting/facial expressions comes into play, but then again, most writers nowadays probably never passed English class and have limited vocabulary, so that might explain it.

I haven't seen the new Twilight Zone, but as soon as I found out CBS was producing it specifically for All Access, I lost interest right away. As a Trek fan, it's already annoying when I watch Discovery on Space and hear Captain Pike swear in front of the entire bridge crew. Also, it seems like everything CBS locks behind AA in the U.S. ends up being shown on TV in Canada. I wonder why...

Reactions: norman881
Part of it has to do with the society we live in now. The other part has to do with networks like CBS not caring.

I don't use profanity myself and I don't like hearing it, even though I'm a millennial, but even teenagers now swear like truck drivers and parents don't do anything about it.

That being said, I agree with you. What happened to family-friendly science-fiction? Every sci-fi show now has writers forcing profanity into the scripts. Star Trek Discovery, The Expanse, Lost in Space, anything on Syfy, anything on SVOD streaming services... you just get tired of it after a while. You don't need to use profanity to exclaim a point or emotion. That's where using regular adjectives and just having good acting/facial expressions comes into play, but then again, most writers nowadays probably never passed English class and have limited vocabulary, so that might explain it.

I haven't seen the new Twilight Zone, but as soon as I found out CBS was producing it specifically for All Access, I lost interest right away. As a Trek fan, it's already annoying when I watch Discovery on Space and hear Captain Pike swear in front of the entire bridge crew. Also, it seems like everything CBS locks behind AA in the U.S. ends up being shown on TV in Canada. I wonder why...

Totally agree with you, same here don't like to hear it, don't use it.

And IMO coarse language, profanity, vulgarity and prosaic language do NOT mean a better movie or a better tv show.

I love classic movies and I love TV series which I could call classics now, (from the 70's and earlier) and those were great movies and tv series, without the need for profanity, etc.

And to emphasize my point, those shows, like the original Twilight Zone, were family friendly shows, that the whole family could enjoy watching together,well not so, with the new one, I never thought the word vagina and some other stuff would ever come up in a Twilight Zone re-boot, but hey..

Those geniuses creating re-boots think their re-boot will be more 21st century by using foul language, so ... I guess if they come up with a re-boot for Mr. Ed....... well......I wouldn't like to imagine the words coming out from that horse's mouth.......

You left out my all time favorite, The Odyssey of Flight 33!

Yes, especially the one about beauty which I saw as a boy and it scared me s-less. Eye of the Beholder. I was afraid that I would suddenly become ugly. Also, Long Live Walter Jameson. After I saw that one, I was terrified that I would all of a sudden turn to dust!

Had a chance to watch it now, that is a pretty good episode! I've seen every episode of the original series at least once but for some reason I didn't remember The Odyssey of Flight 33.

There are no bad episodes of The Twilight Zone, it's just some are better than others :)

Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat
I still remember when as a kid I watched that episode with the family from the old west, and the sick child, the father goes out looking for help, and the actually walks into the future, I was just a little kid when I first watched and I was amazed by that episode.

One of my favorites,

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I still remember when as a kid I watched that episode with the family from the old west, and the sick child, the father goes out looking for help, and the actually walks into the future, I was just a little kid when I first watched and I was amazed by that episode.

One of my favorites,
Saw that episode again recently. I liked it . I often will watch an older series of a show through the last episode then not watch for a few years and then rewatch it again and it is like a new show all over again. A perk of getting older or a sign of alzheimers. I haven't decided yet.:D

Reactions: TheKrell
The original series is the only one for me. Last night I started watching the 3rd episode of this new one, and after watching 5 minutes, I decided to watch something else.

If it's on CBS AA I won't be watching it, even though I'd like to ...
I refuse to pay again for CBS which we already pay for with the D* sub (or cable sub depending on what you have).

The Picard show might get me too, but I doubt it.

I pay for NBC, ABC and Fox as well in the D8 package, however all those that have apps, do not require you to pay AGAIN for the app shows.

I just watched the 3rd episode called "Replay". It was TERRIBLE!

Beyond preachy, and made no sense at all to me as a Twilight Zone episode. I guess it could have made sense if it was made about 1960, but not today. Certainly NOT as a Twilight Zone episode, even if it had been made back then.

I was only able to watch the first 5 minutes, thought maybe I'd give it another try later on. But having read comments above, no way.

I guess I'm already done with this, the first episode I watched about 15 minutes, I thought it was pathetic, the second episode not really bad, but nothing compared to the original series..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)