The Orville on Hulu

I watched the entire 1st season and I thought it got better and better. My wife watched the 1st two and quit. So I deleted all of the 1st season and now she decided she wants to watch it after all. :( Fortunately, rental DVDs were just released on Netflix. :)

I watched the entire 1st season and I thought it got better and better. My wife watched the 1st two and quit. So I deleted all of the 1st season and now she decided she wants to watch it after all. :( Fortunately, rental DVDs were just released on Netflix. :)
Can't you stream it on Netflix easier ?

Is it not available on Netflix? Streaming that is.

It is available on Hulu if you wanted to binge it there with a free trial if you dont already have a subscription.

You can also buy the entire season on Amazon for $9.99

Reactions: TheKrell
Season 2 has played, was it worth the wait?
I don't know it wasn't typical FOX but something from last year was missing.
The change to Thursday nights is a surprise good or bad only time will tell.

omething from last year was missing.

I read reviews and it seemed to me rather juvenile in humor. Supposedly this was supposed to be Episode 2, while Episode 1 airing next week was supposed to close out the first season.

Here's the thing... you guys already know how I like The Orville more than Discovery, but the Season 2 premiere this past Sunday was just... bad... in many ways...

The initial premise of the episode was ridiculous. I mean, traveling to Bortus' home planet so he could pee and have everyone watch him do it. I don't know why Seth came up with this idea, but it was just bad overall. In a way, it kind of reminded me of that TNG episode when Worf was being hit by pain sticks, but at least that made sense as a religious type of ritual. This whole thing with Bortus only going to the bathroom once a year, and then spending an entire episode to tell that story... we didn't need a whole episode devoted to that.

The second problem with this episode was that it was just...boring... especially for a "Season Premiere". You had smaller story arcs within the episode -- Isaac helping Dr. Finn with her children not behaving, John helping Gordon with dating advice, and Ed spying on Kelly while she was making out with her new boyfriend in their quarters. None of it was interesting. It was like that episode from Season 1 titled "Cupid's Dagger" -- another dating-focused episode, but it was just as bad.

The third and final problem... and I'm not sure if I heard this right, so someone correct me if I'm wrong... but during the part when Dr. Finn told her son he was grounded and sent him to his room, I believe she outright swore the 'f' word... in front of her child as well. The episode was rated TV-14, and I know premium networks like HBO are able to get away with this, but FOX is a primetime network and this episode aired at 8 pm ET, which is a family-oriented hour. And I know some of you are going to fight me on this, arguing that it's only a single word and that it's practically commonplace nowadays anyway, but I don't swear myself and I don't appreciate them trying to be edgy like how they forced the usage of the word into Discovery's first season as well.

On a positive note, there were a few funny parts within the episode, such as when Bortus told Alara that he could order one of his crewmen to date her, and also when Issac told Dr. Finn that there were chemical compounds that could be used to prevent her son from growing up and getting older, since she was complaining about her son changing his attitude and behavior as he was turning into a teenager. But that was pretty much the most enjoyment I got out of the episode itself.

I read reviews and it seemed to me rather juvenile in humor. Supposedly this was supposed to be Episode 2, while Episode 1 airing next week was supposed to close out the first season.

The original plan was that FOX was going to air a 2-Hour Season Premiere, combining the episode held over from last season ("Primal Urges") with this episode ("Ja'loja"). I don't know why they decided to change it at the last minute, but at least the show is going back to Thursday nights again from here on out.

Anyways, those were my thoughts. Definitely a bad way to kick off the new season, with an episode like that. For a premiere, you usually want to showcase one of your better episodes to get new viewers hooked into watching the series every week. For me, this felt like a filler episode, and a really bad one at that. It's kind of a contradiction to what Seth said earlier, when he explained that the reason he's only producing 12-14 episodes per season is to avoid filler episodes.

We'll see if Thursday's episode improves at all...but... I definitely wasn't impressed with this one. Not worth the wait for this episode, that's for sure.

Reactions: TheKrell
1st episode of Season 2 is all ...
Afaik, its not available to stream the whole 2nd season ...
I get the feeling that that episode was the one from last year that got skipped ....
Maybe Thursday will be the start of the New season.
We can hope.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think "meh" about the new episode Sunday night.I have it set up on a timer so we'll see if it gets better. One of the highlights from Season 1 was the visit to the planet where Social Media had run amok. It was a good balance of social commentary, humor, and cautionary tale (especially since there are cities in China where jaywalkers are shamed in public for their crimes, with facial recognition being used to assign points and demerits to their "account").

Capt. Mercer had better get his fecal matter together. If the show is trying to be more "Star Trek" than "Spaceballs" it needs to have more believable characters in the positions they're in. Gordon being a bit of a horn-dog may be acceptable for a helmsman but having a Captain who's not able to get his emotional life together seems a bit much. Normally the ship's chief physician would be involved, but there's another distraction.

Anyway, Seth got what he wanted, another season on Fox, so please, don't screw it up. Some of us like our Sci-Fi to non-dystopian.

Some of us like our Sci-Fi to non-dystopian.

You read my mind about this episode, and maybe a couple of others though I would never be able to phrase it as you did. :biggrin

They are banging us over the head with the relationship thing, person problems of the Captain dating etc to the point of having virtually no plot in this episode. I'm counting on them getting back on course as several episodes last year were good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)