The Orville on Hulu

What to say about episode 4. I liked it I didn't like it Good acting, good photography, acceptable script. Negative to much preaching on peace between the species.
May the next 10 be as good or better!

My understanding is that MacFarlane is a big time Trekkie and wanted to do a new trek series but couldn't, so this is him doing Star Trek but not doing Star Trek. Any similarities or coincidences are definitely intentional. They should have let him do Discovery and maybe it wouldn't suck.

My understanding is that MacFarlane is a big time Trekkie and wanted to do a new trek series but couldn't, so this is him doing Star Trek but not doing Star Trek. Any similarities or coincidences are definitely intentional. They should have let him do Discovery and maybe it wouldn't suck.

This series is basically nothing but the best stuff from ST:TNG, but I can deal with that. Even that medical device they had covering Bortus to jump-start him was an absolute steal from ST:TNG. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the ACTUAL device from that series.

Except as soon as they were cloaked and the Krill turned back around, my Spidey-senses kicked in and went to the "she's not who she pretends to be" (the torture scene confirmed my guess). I did like the turnabout that she played Capt. Mercer just like she had been played when Mercer pretended to be a Krill.

Was it me, but did anyone else wonder where the bat-eared aliens' (forget the show's name for them) mothership was? I mean, it's a huge ship; shouldn't it stick around to pick up the troops it dropped off on the planet?

And why did Mercer confirm that the Command Codes he gave were red herrings, designed to misguide the enemy with dumping bogus data from the computer when entered? Now the Krill know this is standard Union procedure. Kinda sloppy of Ed...

Reactions: Derwin0
Do you want the good news, or the bad news?

The good news is that yesterday's episode was the 2nd of this season that actually felt like watching true Star Trek.
The bad news is that the preview for next Thursday's episode (January 31) shows yet another dating storyline. Haven't we had enough dating episodes already? :facepalm

Reactions: TheKrell
Do you want the good news, or the bad news?

The good news is that yesterday's episode was the 2nd of this season that actually felt like watching true Star Trek.
The bad news is that the preview for next Thursday's episode (January 31) shows yet another dating storyline. Haven't we had enough dating episodes already? :facepalm
If I remember correctly, ST:TNG spent an inordinate amount of time on dating episodes. So perhaps this is his way of making it feel like Trek. ;)

Reactions: TheKrell and Jimbo
Don't forget, the first TWO seasons of TNG mostly sucked big time. It was only starting with season 3 that it really started to gain traction. IF I was to advise a person where they should start if they've never watched TNG, I would say to start with season 3.

Hopefully these are all birthing pains, and Fox will let it go at least through season 3, AND they'll find their way.

Reactions: DJ Lon and Jimbo
Was it me, but did anyone else wonder where the bat-eared aliens' (forget the show's name for them) mothership was? I mean, it's a huge ship; shouldn't it stick around to pick up the troops it dropped off on the planet?

Yup. I was expecting a battle between the Orville and that other ship.

Don't forget, the first TWO seasons of TNG mostly sucked big time. It was only starting with season 3 that it really started to gain traction. Hopefully these are all birthing pains, and Fox will let it go at least through season 3, AND they'll find their way.

Yeah, but there were some really good episodes in those seasons too. "The Arsenal of Freedom", "Conspiracy", "The Neutral Zone", "Measure of a Man", "Contagion", "Q Who", "Peak Performance"... just to name a few that stand out from the top of my head. But back then it was more forgiving because we got 26 episodes a season, so new episodes were airing through half of a year.

Now, when we're lucky to get 10-13 episodes once every 2 years, there's a higher expectation in each episode being a quality one, because of the long wait time.

By the way, I thought that was Ted Danson, but I couldn't find his name on the Wikipedia page for the show, so I thought maybe it was someone else.

Reactions: dare2be
Yeah, but there were some really good episodes in those seasons too. "The Arsenal of Freedom", "Conspiracy", "The Neutral Zone", "Measure of a Man", "Contagion", "Q Who", "Peak Performance"... just to name a few that stand out from the top of my head. But back then it was more forgiving because we got 26 episodes a season, so new episodes were airing through half of a year.

Now, when we're lucky to get 10-13 episodes once every 2 years, there's a higher expectation in each episode being a quality one, because of the long wait time.

By the way, I thought that was Ted Danson, but I couldn't find his name on the Wikipedia page for the show, so I thought maybe it was someone else.
He was listed after the opening sequence in the beginning of the show

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

My DVR hiccuped during the state dinner right after the planetary head gave his speech. Next thing I know, Bortus and Kelly are in prison jumpers getting out of the back of the van. Eventually it was revealed about the astro(ill)logical signs determining social castes. I'm surprised Capt. Mercer didn't try arguing that the constellations were different on Earth and Moclus and therefore the influences at their birth were different. Problem solved in a way that the Leader could use in freeing the Union crew members without risking social upheaval. Just a thought...

Good thing Ed doesn't have a mean streak. I'd imagine the Krill wouldn't have any problem "enlightening" the planet's belief system away from the astrology-based hierarchy, one way or another.

Reactions: Neutron and Jimbo
The ending of the last episode sure felt rushed. Also, do you think a society would just let two people go after that action scene?

Reactions: wormil
The ending of the last episode sure felt rushed. Also, do you think a society would just let two people go after that action scene?

If it were me, I would've just fired a few phaser shots from orbit at some empty acreage and used that as a bargaining chip.

It was rushed. It should've been a two-parter, because that maniacal commander at the prison camp didn't look like he'd back down and let Bortus and Kelly go that easily anyway.

Reactions: Neutron and Foxbat