The perfect explination of the NFL owners greedy in this labor dispute...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
NFL owners want guarantees no other business provides

By Sally Jenkins
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, February 17, 2011; 12:09 AM

I'm not sure why NFL players and fans should pay the estate taxes for Daniel Snyder's children, along with the little Bidwills and Maras. That's one way to think of the current NFL labor dispute. The owners are worried that $9 billion isn't enough revenue growth, and their heirs might someday have to fly commercial. So they're demanding that everybody pony up.

That's really what this is all about. The owners are lucky that the collective bargaining process is so convoluted, and the language of their argument with the players is hard to understand. Because when you peel away the headachy legal terms and expose their real position, it can be summed up very simply: They believe they are entitled to make money every year, even in the midst of disastrous recessions. They think they are owed a living.

They also think your money is actually their money. Or at least, it used to be yours, before you paid it at the box office, paid it at the concessions, paid it in the parking lot, and paid it in countless other ways - from those deplorable "seat licenses" to tax breaks and public funds for new stadiums and renovations, where they can charge you even more.

What are owners really owed in return for their investments? That's what fans must decide, in weighing whose side to support in the impending lockout and labor impasse, which, judging by the belligerent maneuvering of the past week now, likely will last many months and disrupt next season. The core issue is this: Owners resent the fact that a lot of your money is going into the pockets of players, instead of into their own. They contend the players are overpaid, and they are threatening to lock them out as of March 4 if they don't agree to a significant cut. They say this is a necessary step to ensure future profitability.
ad_icon

But in what other industry do business owners act so entitled to make money every year into the limitless future? According to Forbes, the NFL's revenue has increased 43 percent since 2006 to $9.3 billion. Under the current agreement, the first billion goes to the 32 owners right off the top, while players receive a 60 percent split of revenues after that. Now the owners are demanding another billion off the top.

Who exactly is more overpaid? To repeat, the argument is over money that comes out of the fans' pockets. The only question is who should get more of it, the owners or the players that the fans pay to see? After all, they don't pay to see Snyder smoke a cigar, or consult with media advisors.

The owners justify their position by decrying rising "player costs." Player compensation has doubled since 2003, but that's because the wealthiest owners have driven up the market for their stars. Pete Rozelle's wife once observed that, "every owner I ever met thinks he's just two players from winning the Super Bowl."

The cost argument really should be an internal quarrel between the owners. If some of them aren't making enough money, or are even losing money - if some of them built sports palaces and some didn't - whose fault is that? Maybe they don't need a better collective bargaining agreement. Maybe they need a budget.

Yet the owners quite clearly want the players to pick up the tab for some of their excesses - and the fans, too. On Tuesday, Commissioner Roger Goodell made it plain once again that the real driving force behind the owner demands is that they want to free up revenue for "innovation and growth," namely the "costs of financing, building, maintaining and operating stadiums." But bigger stadiums may well mean more expenses shifted to the fans.

What's more, they appear to be digging in, judging by their latest actions. Last week; they walked away from a bargaining session; this week; they filed a charge against the players' union with the National Labor Relations Board. One day, they refuse to talk; the next, they accuse the other side of not negotiating; and then, the next say that the season could be in jeopardy if a deal isn't reached soon.

What's really going on? The suspicion here is that the league owners are simply tempted to see if they can do as well in labor negotiations as the NHL did in improving its financial condition with a lockout a few years ago. But there is a big difference between the NFL and the NHL: Hockey is not nearly so profitable, and the lockout and the accompanying risk of alienating their fans were therefore worth it.

As long the NFL is raking in $9 billion and so many owners are clearly making money, it's pretty difficult for them to claim to be on the high ground, or to cry poor.

It's not like they're the airline industry, or even hockey.

So far they have utterly failed to make the case that they are so financially imperiled that players should make sacrifices for them, or fans either. For one thing, they continue to refuse to open their books, presumably because the results could be embarrassing.

Disclosure of their real conditions might reveal just how ungenerous they are with the players they claim to care about. Or it might reveal just how mercilessly hard they are working to strip every dime out of the fans.

The next time a league official claims the players make "outrageous sums," as Goodell does, fans should ask themselves the following questions: How much are owners making? And how much of that is due to government subsidies?

Are teams really in danger of losing money - or do they merely crave unlimited "growth?" Would a new labor agreement work for or against the interest of the ticket-buyers? If the owners win a billion-dollar concession from players, what will they do with the money? Will prices go down?

Do they really need a new deal - or have they been getting a sweetheart one all along?

Anybody that does not understand that, as in most labor disputes it is the owners as the represenative of everyone else vs. the players, needs only look a MLB for what happens when unions win strikes.

I hope the NFL gets a more pro-customer deal than the NHL did when its owners heroicly sacrificed a season to destroy union excesses.

I don't get the whole NFL Player entitlement angle..The players are not "paying" anything for the owners..all the money comes (ultimatelly) from the fans via product advertising..increased cable costs ,increased stadium prices etc.

I don't get the whole NFL Player entitlement angle..The players are not "paying" anything for the owners..all the money comes (ultimatelly) from the fans via product advertising..increased cable costs ,increased stadium prices etc.

Correct and the owners want more of the cut and they want the players to take less.

Why not? They are selling their likeness to the fans. Who do the fans come to see? Patriot fans don't come to the games in HOPES they can watch Robert Kraft walk on the sidelines.
The players aren't "selling" anything, the owners are. Maybe the players should print and sell the tickets, promote the events, build the stadiums, negotiate contracts with the media and between themselves, and get rid of the overpaid agents? Then all the money would be theirs and they'd have no beef with the owners.

I have to say, it's hard to have any sympathy for someone who gets paid millions for only doing something they loved to do as a kid and not having to worry where the money comes from.

mccoyrj said:
The players aren't "selling" anything, the owners are. Maybe the players should print and sell the tickets, promote the events, build the stadiums, negotiate contracts with the media and between themselves, and get rid of the overpaid agents? Then all the money would be theirs and they'd have no beef with the owners.

I have to say, it's hard to have any sympathy for someone who gets paid millions for only doing something they loved to do as a kid and not having to worry where the money comes from.

Excuse me but when was the last time A owner did any printing, promoting and definately put more than 10% of their OWN money to build a stadium? The ONLY THING you see them involved in player negociations....that's it. Do YOU go to games to see the owners sit in a suite heating and drinking? Yeah....I thought so.

What goes into selling at the stadium from tickets to food to parking...SHOULD go to the owners... But selling the players image and selling the TV rights should be split evenly between the owners and players. Which is something the owners cannot seem to comprehend. You have players risking their lives and you think they should get LESS than half the profits?!

Excuse me but when was the last time A owner did any printing, promoting and definately put more than 10% of their OWN money to build a stadium? The ONLY THING you see them involved in player negociations....that's it. Do YOU go to games to see the owners sit in a suite heating and drinking? Yeah....I thought so.

What goes into selling at the stadium from tickets to food to parking...SHOULD go to the owners... But selling the players image and selling the TV rights should be split evenly between the owners and players. Which is something the owners cannot seem to comprehend. You have players risking their lives and you think they should get LESS than half the profits?!

Well I don't follow these things closely...I really don't care so much about this side of it. But I thought I heard that the Giants and Jets owners shared equally the majority of the cost of the new Meadowlands Stadium.

Sandra

pllleeeaze cry me a river..u could make the same argument in any industry.If the palyers want to INVEST in the league then and only then should they share the profits...

Bob Kraft did.

He has also put in north of 3/4's of a BILLION dollars of his own money, to buy the team, keep them in New England and build the stadium.

I'll be a fan of the team in 20 years. None of the players that are here now will be still playing.

pllleeeaze cry me a river..u could make the same argument in any industry.If the palyers want to INVEST in the league then and only then should they share the profits...

You know, every once in a while one of us brings common sense into the equation in a coherent sentence. This is one of them. Well said, Juan, never thought of it that way.

Sandra

The players are employees and they can do the same thing I can do if I want more pay. Go apply for a job somewhere else and negotiate a price. If the owner says no, there shouldn't be anything the player could do to force the owner to pay him more money.

I will just about always side with the owners. I have run a small business and have been self employed. The employees have no idea how hard it is to run a business. That's why you see so many fans side with the players. They themselves work for somebody I'm sure. I do worry about the players and the money because many of them are pretty stupid. They would go broke if they won the Lottery.

I will just about always side with the owners. I have run a small business and have been self employed. The employees have no idea how hard it is to run a business. That's why you see so many fans side with the players. They themselves work for somebody I'm sure. I do worry about the players and the money because many of them are pretty stupid. They would go broke if they won the Lottery.

LOL that's funny. Hollywood Henderson won something like $28 million in Texas like ten years ago...I wonder how he's doing now? Supposedly he had cleaned himself up of drugs even before winning, hopefully he's doing well.

Sandra

LOL that's funny. Hollywood Henderson won something like $28 million in Texas like ten years ago...I wonder how he's doing now? Supposedly he had cleaned himself up of drugs even before winning, hopefully he's doing well.

Sandra

Many of these players need someone to protect them for many reasons. For them it's like winning the lottery. And when you're making that kind of money in the NFL all your relatives, (known and unknown) come to you asking for a handout. It is like winning the lottery in that respect. Most owners of the NFL are smart with money . Most . Robert Kraft is. He was slammed by the Boston Media when he purchased the team. Check out this clip from my archives

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I don't follow these things closely...I really don't care so much about this side of it. But I thought I heard that the Giants and Jets owners shared equally the majority of the cost of the new Meadowlands Stadium.

Sandra

None of was tax subsidized? Or long term bonds?

And you don't think these guys have not invested in this league? How many of those former players can barely walk, injuries that would make you cry like a 7 year old little girl and taking pain killers like M&Ms ?? "Cry me a river...." LMAO! Again, when YOU go to a game to see the owner, THEN come talk to me.

None of was tax subsidized? Or long term bonds?

Well since I said 'I thought I heard...' that's a pretty good hint that I don't know for sure. It's spoken about around here like the two teams paid for a majority of the stadium themselves. I would say it's probably almost definite they meet your criteria of paying for at least 10%, and it may be well into the majority as well.

Sandra

Well since I said 'I thought I heard...' that's a pretty good hint that I don't know for sure. It's spoken about around here like the two teams paid for a majority of the stadium themselves. I would say it's probably almost definite they meet your criteria of paying for at least 10%, and it may be well into the majority as well.

Sandra

The stadium was built from "private funds" which means MULTIPLE folks put money into.... at least 3 or 4 "ownership groups" involved since it was a two team financial involvement. Whether ONE person put in more than 10%, that will more than likely never be known.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts