The phone line and the 522

jfd

Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Out of the blue last week, our phone started hanging up on callers after 3 rings. The phone guy came to the house today, tried disconnecting the caller ID line hooked up the the 522, and the problem disappreared.

I haven't called Dish CS yet, but I'm sure they will have "no record" of any such problem. Anybody have this happen?

I've seen alot of stuff with satellite receivers and phone lines but never that. I had a service call one time where if the satellite receivers were hooked to a phone line the phone would not work and I've seen satellite receivers send some sort of feedback static over the phone but this is a new one to me. If you call dish they will send you a new one I would guess. Hope it fixes the problem. I know that would be annoying.

I called Dish last night and, as suspected, this is not a "known problem", which means their only answer is to send a replacment. But since I have over 60 hours of programs recorded that I don't want to have to transfer to some other media, I have just disconnected the line. Even if I didn't have so much already recorded, this unit has been very stable, and I'm scared to death that a replacement would have some of the problems I have seen here. I will pay an additional $5 a month so that I can answer my phone.

Like Brett stated, this is a new problem for me as well. Usually static or not being able to dial out is what occurs.

Just an odd suggestion...but have you tried hooking up your 522 directly to a phone line? By-passing your caller ID unit? To me it makes no sense in having a caller ID unit in place since your 522 has it built in.

Bottom line, if you absolutely feel it's your receiver, then don't be afraid to take up Dish's offer to swap it out. The only downside is backing up the 60 hours of programming you already have stored.

My original post was misleading, our 522 is hooked up directly to the phone line, not a called ID unit, but thanks for the suggestion.

I figure when we've caught up on all we have recorded, which usually occurs after the May sweeps, I'll consider the swap out.

Getting the best deal for a friend

New uplink computer..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)