The PlayStation Vue Thread

Got a fire tv box, not stick, to try out vue on.

I am VERY pleased with the result. I get the speed of the roku with the interface from the fire and ps platforms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Great news that they released on Roku! I was going to get a 2nd Fire TV box for my other TV but now I won't have to.

Also, they must have made some changes to their iOS app. Today I jumped on it and things seem to be working much better. Before I couldn't access any DVR shows on my iPad. Just said mobile restricted. Even if I was on my home network. Now, I can. It looks like I have full access to everything, at least when I'm on my home network anyway. Haven't tried away from the house yet.

The interface on Roku with Vue is awful. We had it 3 days dropped Vue and decided to stick with Sling. A decent program guide is badly needed to start with. I messed with it 2 nights and thought my wife will never sort through
this mess to watch TV lol. No easy way to find "All Channels" or "Favorites" which might help. The picture quality was great on a Roku 3 once you found what you wanted

I agree, the roku app leaves alot to be desired. The speed is great, and the PQ is as well, but its neutered. I know I stated that I did not use the guide feature on the fire tv stick, but the device itself was the reason. Now that I have tried it on the fire box instead, it is very usable.

That and the fire leaves the video and audio playing in the background while searching for other programs or channels. The roku does not.

One app I was really excited to get, and once the new wore off I am disappointed. I will stick with the fire setup, and have in fact ordered two more boxes to go to my other sets.

I agree, the roku app leaves alot to be desired. The speed is great, and the PQ is as well, but its neutered. I know I stated that I did not use the guide feature on the fire tv stick, but the device itself was the reason. Now that I have tried it on the fire box instead, it is very usable.

That and the fire leaves the video and audio playing in the background while searching for other programs or channels. The roku does not.

One app I was really excited to get, and once the new wore off I am disappointed. I will stick with the fire setup, and have in fact ordered two more boxes to go to my other sets.
I constantly use the guide feature on my Fire TV Stick. I find it essential to what I want to watch, that's why the Roku app is frustrating, but if enough complaints are made, perhaps the Roku app can be improved(unless the guide feature is copyrighted to the Fire TV Stick only. I can't speak for the PlayStation console itself).

Edit: Watch out, there are complaints of the Fire TV box eating up data because of its screen saver feature. If you can, disable the screensaver on your boxes. Probably better yet, probably have them on a power strip that you can turn on & off when you are not using them. i guess check for updates to the box when you turn it on via power strip & then just start watching TV.

Wouldn't the stick have the same Screensaver feature? I would imagine any issue with it would be the same with the stick.

I'll look into it though. Thanks

Ahh. I read about this. That is an old bug from 2014. Has since been fixed if I'm not mistaken. Affected both the box and stick.

To the guide I tried to use it with the stick but found it far too frustrating.

I've used it a lot since I got the box.

I constantly use the guide feature on my Fire TV Stick. I find it essential to what I want to watch, that's why the Roku app is frustrating, but if enough complaints are made, perhaps the Roku app can be improved(unless the guide feature is copyrighted to the Fire TV Stick only. I can't speak for the PlayStation console itself).

The guide is a basic feature on both the PS3 and PS4's PS Vue app. But I imagine it requires a certain amount of memory and processing power to function optimally. In fact even on the very powerful PS4, I've been getting weird glitches where the guide and the "My Channels" area isn't available. It says I need to subscribe to a channel package in order for anything to be viewable in that area. It happened twice in the past week, but after rebooting, it displayed normally.

For the sake of preserving data, though I don't know if this is necessary, I always close the PS Vue app before putting my PS4 into rest mode. The difference in app start up time is minimal -- when I don't close the app, it still takes a moment or two to pull in the stream of whatever channel I had it on when I was last watching.

Wish Vue offered Fox Sports SportsTime Ohio in Northeast Ohio. Only thing holding me back from Vue right now. Sling is tempting, but I would need a couple of add-on packs to match what Vue offers for the same price.

I just spent a few minutes checking out the new Android app and here are my early impressions:

Pros:
Almost all the basic features of console app -- synched seamlessly with my console content/settings
10 second back/forward touchscreen buttons (I'd love a skip button on the console app)
Touchscreen time-bar allows you to jump anywhere in a recorded show (or a live show with played content in its buffer) - and reloading time is reasonable
Current content plays in background while exploring menus
Full touchscreen keyboard for searching
I'm finally able to get live TV on the crapper! lol

Cons:
No guide
Loading times when selecting a menu item or show are pretty bad
Restricted mobile content on all NBC channels, USA, and Syfy (may be others, but those are the ones I cared enough about to check)
If I put my tablet in standby for even one second, I have to relaunch the app
I read in another forum if you don't log out (even if you aren't currently watching), it will count against your simultaneous stream device limit
(The device limit isn't a problem for me since I live alone and only have four devices total, including two Android devices)

now that Vue is available for Roku I am thinking of trying it out. Does the DVR function work for all channels? and can you set it to do a season pass like most physical DVR units? Just wondering because many of our shows come on at times when we are not home or otherwise occupied and it would nice to be able to record and watch the same night or a few days later but not have to manually do it each time. We watch The Walking Dead all the time, and it is a pain to hook my laptop to the TV each time just to stream it the next day. So if I could set a season pass then we could watch when we want(within the 28 day window of course).

now that Vue is available for Roku I am thinking of trying it out. Does the DVR function work for all channels? and can you set it to do a season pass like most physical DVR units? Just wondering because many of our shows come on at times when we are not home or otherwise occupied and it would nice to be able to record and watch the same night or a few days later but not have to manually do it each time. We watch The Walking Dead all the time, and it is a pain to hook my laptop to the TV each time just to stream it the next day. So if I could set a season pass then we could watch when we want(within the 28 day window of course).

Yes, you simply tag shows as one of "My Shows" and any airing of that program will be available to watch (even past episodes that air after you tag it). As you said, the only limitation is the "recording" is only available for 28 days. There is also an On Demand option for some channels and some programs, though the ability to fast-forward commercials is limited, if non-existent.

Since there's effectively no limitation for recording space with the cloud DVR (500 programs max), I even tag sporting events, like Wimbledon or the College World Series, just on the off-chance I want to go back to watch something I missed, and then during the week that that event is taking place, it's easy for me to find it in My Shows list.

And like cable/sat, once you tag a series, it stays in your My Shows list for the next season.

I don't absolutely hate the Roku interface. I don't mind the fact that it doesn't have a guide and that you just browse channels and shows netflix style. I really, really like how much easier it is to view shows with multiple seasons and multiple recordings. That is far superior to the fire tv setup. However, I HATE the fast forward and rewind functions on the Roku!! I've gotten to the point if I'm watching a recording I don't even attempt to fast forward through commercials. I just deal with them.

I don't absolutely hate the Roku interface. I don't mind the fact that it doesn't have a guide and that you just browse channels and shows netflix style. I really, really like how much easier it is to view shows with multiple seasons and multiple recordings. That is far superior to the fire tv setup. However, I HATE the fast forward and rewind functions on the Roku!! I've gotten to the point if I'm watching a recording I don't even attempt to fast forward through commercials. I just deal with them.

What's the process for FF'ing commercials on the Roku? That could be a deal breaker for me in my decision to eventually pick up another PS Vue streaming device (Amazon Fire vs. Roku).

On the fire tv you hit the arrow buttons and it skips ten seconds at a time. Can que up as many as you want.

On the Roku it skips ahead also, but it doesn't tell you how far it's skipping and you have to hit play every time because it pauses afterwards.

Reactions: Zookster
At this point in time I would definitely recommend you go with the fire tv. I'm going to stick out the Roku app for a bit and hope that it gets better with some updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts