The PlayStation Vue Thread

The big challenge is finding out if you can skip through commercials during DVR playback on the Roku like you can with Fire TV(which is possible by hitting the circle left on the Fire TV remote)?

I'd say comparable to the ps4 if that's the length of time. No more than 20 seconds on either the stick or the 3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Good to hear. It just occured to me that a Roku stick would solve my remaining access issues - getting the service on a kitchen TV. Much easier than connecting an Android device every time. Though I still wish I could watch in a PC browser in my office.

How does app launch time compare between the Roku and PS3? With the PS4, it's very quick if my PS4 is in standby: 20 seconds. But my PS3 takes a while just to boot up and then launch the app, closer to 80 seconds.
Just checked. Unplugged the roku and started it up. When the home screen came up I clicked the Vue icon. Ten seconds later the app was fully loaded.

Clicking a channel and it was streaming in 4 seconds.

This is on the new roku stick. I'll check the 3 later.

So as you can see the speed is great.

How does app launch time compare between the Roku and PS3? With the PS4, it's very quick if my PS4 is in standby: 20 seconds. But my PS3 takes a while just to boot up and then launch the app, closer to 80 seconds.
Just checked. Unplugged the roku and started it up. When the home screen came up I clicked the Vue icon. Ten seconds later the app was fully loaded.

Clicking a channel and it was streaming in 4 seconds.

This is on the new roku stick. I'll check the 3 later.

So as you can see the speed is great.

The big challenge is finding out if you can skip through commercials during DVR playback on the Roku like you can with Fire TV(which is possible by hitting the circle left on the Fire TV remote)?
You can indeed skip the commercials with a skip function. Push the right directional arrow. Odd thing is when it skips it's paused. Going to see what the 3 does and if this is a glitch on the stick.

Odd way to do it if this is how it's supposed to be

Will play around and see if there are any other ways to do it

With the Sling App on the new AppleTV I wonder if Sony would be considering a Vue App for the ATV? Should be an easy step up from the iOS App they have now...

You can indeed skip the commercials with a skip function. Push the right directional arrow. Odd thing is when it skips it's paused. Going to see what the 3 does and if this is a glitch on the stick.

Odd way to do it if this is how it's supposed to be

Will play around and see if there are any other ways to do it

So you can skip blocks of seconds on the Roku as opposed to FFing 4x, 8x, etc. That's one of the biggest annoyances with PS Vue (at least on the PS4/PS3): when I hit the right directional button (or right on the left stick), there's a delay of 3-5 seconds before it starts fast forwarding.

Also, I read a complaint in the PS Blog post comments that on the Roku that there's no guide feature. Can you confirm? I have trouble believing that.

You can do both. Ff and skip, skip is just oddly implemented. You can't see the program as it skips, you just see when the timer goes ahead a minute. By my count it is ten seconds a push.

Then the pause when you stop. You have to push play.

No, the guide feature that you access from the top on the fire systems is not there. It is no loss Imo as I found it cumbersome. I never even checked if it were available on the ps3

There is still the icon guide with live tv/channel/favorites , similar to the other two.

You can do both. Ff and skip, skip is just oddly implemented. You can't see the program as it skips, you just see when the timer goes ahead a minute. By my count it is ten seconds a push.

Then the pause when you stop. You have to push play.

No, the guide feature that you access from the top on the fire systems is not there. It is no loss Imo as I found it cumbersome. I never even checked if it were available on the ps3

Thanks for the responses. For anyone else that's interested, I found this video that shows how smooth and fast the interface is on the Roku stick:

Reactions: Ronnie- and osu1991
I do NOT like that the video quits playing if you go to find another program. That will make me use the fire stick during football season. Even with the lag.

With the roku, it cuts off audio and video when you go to the interface to change channels.

I do NOT like that the video quits playing if you go to find another program. That will make me use the fire stick during football season. Even with the lag.

With the roku, it cuts off audio and video when you go to the interface to change channels.

That kind of sucks. Makes PS Vue more like Netflix than a live TV interface/app.

I actually do use the regular guide grid in PS Vue quite a bit on PS4/PS3. Since there is no way to "flip channels" per se in PS Vue, I find the grid guide is the best way to get an idea of all that's on and coming up in an "at a glance" manner.

Reactions: Ronnie-
I also see no way to group or sort live tv. On the fire you can do it by most popular, channel alphabetical, and program alphabetical. That is not an option with the roku.

Small things, but things I had gotten used to.

That kind of sucks. Makes PS Vue more like Netflix than a live TV .

It's does. I do not like this issue with the app. I am thinking they did it for older rokus. If the fire tv stick struggles sometimes, the old roku stick would be a mess.

Perhaps they compromised for speed.

The one negative with my Roku 3 is that while watching a program on PlayStation Vue, it will involuntarily skip forward & really screw up the dialog when watching live.

Edit; best hypothetical example of this, imagine watching a football game & the QB gets ready to throw & TD pass, then all of a sudden all you see is celebration in the endzone. You didn't see the touchdown pass or who caught it, all of that was skipped through. Maybe you can skip back 10 sec's to see if it plays, but essentially you missed something because of this weird skip that happens on Roku. At least on Fire TV, the picture just freezes, or it'll have a burp in the broadcast, maybe due to streaming connection.

Roy, I am really thinking it is a problem with your internet or wifi connection if you are having skips and freezing issues.

I missed six innings of a college world series baseball game, featuring my alma mater, last night because my recording wouldn't play back from the start. Second time in the last week a recording has failed to play back at all. I understand freezes and burps due to Internet connectivity issues. But if these shows are recorded on the cloud rather than on my hard drive, you'd think they'd be less prone to corruption.

So I decided to set up Vue on my daughters old roku stick. The previous generation.

Anyone that's used one knows they are slow. Frustrates the hell out of me to use it for any amount of time.

That said, loaded it up and activated it, expecting it to be slower than the fire tv stick, and it isn't.

It's not as fast on navigating as the new stick or the roku 3. But it's close. Much faster than the fire stick, but again with a much simpler, and in my opinion inferior app.

Granted I only played with it for a moment, but in that moment I was surprised.

It was certainly faster navigating in app than it is out of the app on the home screen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)