The reason Dish lost a customer today.

sksatellite said:
[
In this case, I stand for the renter.
99.9% renter do not response for maintain, upgrade, improvements, repair, upkeep, insurance on the rented house, this is the owner's response but this renter paid all these, its almost the home owner, if the permission will needed, then all the above matters are owner's not renter.

However, programmers don't give a damn even you are the home owner.

Sorry, I am having a hard time following this, but I think I gather what you are saying.
Your point is taken, but at the end of the day, I own a house and rent it, the renter takes time to put in new floors, couple flower beds, paint, etc. Guess what, those improvments improve my bottom line. No amount of work or money he puts into it is going to make him better off, even if I do discount rent or something. I am the one paying the taxes and have the legal equity in the property, so I am the one who needs to be informed of anything going on at the property in the eyes of dish.

This is the most ridiculous reason I have heard. If I were to put all the reasons in this reply why Dish needs the owners permission, this post would be two pages long. There are legal responsibilities that bind Dish to the owner of the house and that is not you!!!

If you don't have time to "waste" on getting permission from the owner of the home you live in, where will you find time to watch all of this new HD content?

The original poster has spent far more time here that it would have taken to get permission from the landlord in the first place. So much for his 'waste of time' argument. From what I can tell Dish is 100% in the right. They want to contact the owner of the property before they make changes to it. How is this unreasonable?

IMHO if the original poster is this picky about such an irrational detail, Dish is fortunate to be spared the pain and nuisance of having him as a customer.

The bottom line.

You are a renter.
you do not own the house.
What right do you have putting anything on the house without the owners permission.
Direct and comcast in my area have the same rules.

Get the owners permission and enjoy....

Maybe Dish could send a team of lawyers out to this house to do a risk assessment. If their investigation shows that it is highly unlikely that the owner would object in the to the installation, they could draft a special contract that would include some sort of insurance fee against future problems.

After all, Dish should be doing whatever they can to get new customers. They have to underrstand that some people are too busy whining about how unfair it is that the universe does not revolve around them to find a minute or two to write a paragraph and ask a landlord to sign it.

On a similar note, I find that I can't see my favorite TV very well from my kitchen. If Dish doesn't hire someone to follow me around my house with this TV, I'm never going to get Showtime.

iafirebuff said:
Just tell them you own it - they won't know.

Agree. I did that with my last rental. I saw the owner about once a year and he lives 2 hours away. I am not about to try to get him to sign any agreement!

To the OP, it's as simple as this: if you're not willing to assume the risk and say, "yes, own the home" or simply get a letter, then it's completely on you. After reading numerous posts by you on here, it definately sounds like you're just using this as a sounding board to validate your own dissatisfaction.

You either want to be installed...or you don't. The fact another installer, years ago, apparently, didn't seek landlord permission is not the issue now. In this day and age when everybody is "sue happy" and willing to pass the buck, it would be nice to see an individual step up and assume some PERSONAL responsibility.

Dish's rule is hardly onerous, but it's just that - their rule. Either they're trying to avoid a repeat of previous problems, or they're not understanding the difference between an apartment or other MDU and the OP's single family home.

From http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Q: Does the rule apply to residents of rental property?

A: Yes. Effective January 22, 1999, renters may install antennas within their leasehold, which means inside the dwelling or on outdoor areas that are part of the tenant's leased space and which are under the exclusive use or control of the tenant. ... For rented single family homes or manufactured homes which sit on rented property, these areas include the home itself and patios, yards, gardens or other similar areas. If renters do not have access to these outside areas, the tenant may install the antenna inside the rental unit. Renters are not required to obtain the consent of the landlord prior to installing an antenna in these areas. ...​
If this link doesn't help, the one in post 31 will. Or try going through a local dealer.

Goes back to the basic qualifications of a CSR...

Read this script and don't make an educated decision. I've always believed they have nothing more than a cheat sheet to determine what you can have and can't have.

However, I beleive there are still a lot of good CSR.

EDIT:
Once when someone was renting a house of mine back in the 80's, they asked if they could have cable installed. I told them yes, I had prewired the house and its ready to go; but the only request I had was for the cable company to not run the cable across the middle of the backyard, but to come from the nearest pole to the house. I was told the (Cox) installer complained because he would have to go in the neighbor's backyard but did comply.

And that's actually one of the reasons I went and bought a EchoStar system and installed it myself a couple of years later. I had to keep lifting the cable up to get my motorhome out of the backyard. I was at work when Cox installed it at my house and they took a shortcut. After I installed the dish, I removed the cable.

We all got reasons!

SW
I feel strongly both ways!

Last edited:
At most CSR call centers, the CSR HAVE to read the script, no variables. If the CSR's quality dept or boss is monitoring the call, if they deviate from the script, they are "marked down". My wife does this on the side at home, and it is amazing what they HAVE to say/read.

I believe the same "rules" apply to E*, D* & a cableco. And the rules may well be in law- as determined in the courts. Even if the dish is already installed, there may need to be changes, movement, additional antenna or cables run, etc. And existing equipment will be energized.

If some companies don't enforce them, oh well. There is some liability, as stated the agreement binds Dish and the OWNER. A renter may be responsible for payment, but then I wouldn't be surprised if Dish could go after the owner for payment.

OTARD does not give permission to renters to put holes in roofs or make structural changes.

I think voripteth put it quite well.

LOL, you say you don't have a minute to waste getting the info but you spend all this time complaining about something that you should do. I used cox cable before and had to get written permission for them to run cable and it's no different with dish. You should respect that the property isn't yours and get the permission from the landlord.

.O. said:
A quick reply.

Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for your email. I apologize, however this policy I can not negotiate on, if you do not own your home we would be permission from the home owner before any work is done.

The installation completed on your pervious subscription was completed by a retailer; the retailer I have on file is On Site Satellite INC. The number to reach them is 623-487-1777. However, if any damage is caused during the installation this retailer will have all liability for the claim, not DISH Network.

Sincerely,

David Laslo

CEO Escalations

One would think they would proof read their e-mails.

My reply;

Thank you for your quick reply, I appreciate it.

Yes, On Site Satellite did my original install. Which was passed on to them through Dish Network, I did not contact On Site, Dish Network did.

I find It a very sad comment on our society that you and I are having this conversation regarding liability.

After this I will never, ever have anything to do with Dish again.

Something that occured to me, as it seems in this situation maybe, if you was renting a house, how would dish know you dident own the home if you said you did, its not quite as ovious your a renter if your renting a home, or a home looking condo, apt, ect.. as some rental properties are building these days.

SatinKzo said:
Not to bash to OP, but I agree with Dish and Nazz and Hall. Seriously, why not just get the landlords permission?

I really hate it when people say they are just so busy they can't do little things. Does your busy lifestyle prevent you from trivial things like lacing up your shoes? putting a coat on? How hard is it to call the landlord and get an ok in writing (heck even a fax machine or something). I could go on and on, but it's not worth it (I'm to busy to post trivial things) :)

Exactly... it would have been faster to get the permission then to take the time to post and follow a thread.

Cameron3395 said:
LOL, you say you don't have a minute to waste getting the info but you spend all this time complaining about something that you should do. I used cox cable before and had to get written permission for them to run cable and it's no different with dish. You should respect that the property isn't yours and get the permission from the landlord.

Insight does exactly the same thing here - NO EXCEPTIONS!

And, as many others here have pointed out, it would have been SO much faster to have just got a gd letter from your landlord, instead of bitchin' about it here, AND, if I had a potential customer like you, whom I would have asked to do the same thing & had to listen to all this, I would have said good riddance & went on to another one, 'cause if you're making THIS big of deal out of something SO trivial, no telling what else you would do this with.
Just like a Seinfeld episode - much ado about NOTHING... :rolleyes: :confused:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts