The state of your team(s)

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
OK, this is partly in response to my friend who thinks I hate when someone says something bad about my teams...but partly not, since I've made posts like this before.

Here is a brutally honest look at where my teams stand as we prepare to make the turn to 2009:

New York Rangers - Quite possibly the worst 20-11-2 team in the history of professional sports. That record has been built on fabulous goaltending and shootout victories. When we've been tested in real games, we've been thoroughly embarassed recently by Montreal, Vancouver, and New Jersey. Our fabulous goalie was unfabulous during those games, but it was really our defense that let us down. Our defense is slow, and some of them play like they've just been given ridiculously large contracts recently and don't have to try anymore. Oh wait, they have.

I'm starting to turn on the Edmonton Genius again. This three game road trip could bury us. If I were a betting young lady, I'd bet we're going to struggle to make the playoffs.

New York Yankees - Hopefully last year was an aberration, as everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. Neither Hughes or Kennedy stepped up and earned a spot in the rotation, Joba couldn't last the whole year as a starter, Pettite had his first off year, Wang got hurt, Cano and Melky had terrible years, A-Rod grounded into 4,000 double plays, Matsui got hurt, Posada got hurt, Pudge forgot how to hit as soon as his plane from Detroit landed at LaGuardia, Damon was no longer able to play center field, yadda yadda yadda.

Bright spots? Sydney Ponson actually did some good things in the rotation, and of course Mariano is still Mariano.

Hope for this year? Some...A-Rod cannot hit any worse, Cano hopefully will live up to the back of his baseball card, and Damon is still a good leadoff hitter, albeit a left fielder now. Hopefully Wang, Joba, Matsui, and Posada come back strong. Or at least a couple of them. Sabathia and Burnett give us hope. No, they're not Beckett and Schilling, but they're a lot better than what we had last year.

And Mariano is still Mariano.

New York Jets - This team scares me. I am now officially worried about Mangini...A LOT. He's crossing into Jim Tressel territory of getting out-coached week after week. Leon Washington touches the ball once on offense against Buffalo? The Buffalo offense, which had been as effective as a pea-shooter the last two weeks, has a huge game against the Jets defense. Ugh.

Seattle is going to be tough next week, they haven't given up and they have a proud coach. I can see the perfect storm brewing...Chad Pennington comes in week 17 and knocks us out of the playoffs. Then Brett Favre retires after the game (and starts placing phone calls to Green Bay around February), and we're left with Kellen Clemens and a coach who follows Herm Edwards in the long line of the Jets incredible coaching tradition of getting the worst out of your team.

Ohio State football - I've said it here enough. Tressel is a great recruiter, and I love how he restored the OSU traditions. I most importantly love that he's not John Cooper. But he's a terrible game coach. He's going to be here another 20 years, which I think is a good thing. But during those 20 years there will be a lot of big games that get away from him because his team is not prepared or does not make the proper adjustments during the game. And there will be the occasional games where it is, and does.

New York Knicks - Headed in the right direction, which wasn't hard to do since there was nowhere to go but up. We'll see what happens in 2010 with free agents, but until then the team will do nothing to improve for the short term. And it shouldn't. They can play exciting basketball, but until we start competing again in 2010, we should procure the best draft picks we can.

St. John's basketball - Believe it or not, they used to be good. Who would have thought we'd long for the days of Mike Jarvis? When the team gets a coach who can recruit the best city talent, they'll be good again. Until then...

One day a coach will come in that makes St. John's a destination again for the best talent in the city. There is so much talent here, all they need to do is keep some players home. Then the Garden will be rocking again.

But that may take a few years...or a few decades.

Sandra

Nothin could be finer than to be a fan in Carolina.

UNC basketball - #1 team in the country, NPOY, and they look absolutely unbeatable. No complaints.

UNC football - Butch Davis turned 4-8 into 8-4 in his 2nd season. Were it not for a couple of heartbreaking losses, the Heels could have won the ACC. As it is they will play in their first bowl game in 4 four years, and they have a top 10 recruiting class coming in next year.

Carolina Panthers - The Panthers got Jake Delhomme back healthy this year and rediscovered a running game! Now the Smash and Dash duo of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart have the Panthers soaring and 1 win away from clinching home field advantage for the playoffs. No BCS can ruin the Panthers chances.

Carolina Panthers - The Panthers got Jake Delhomme back healthy this year and rediscovered a running game! Now the Smash and Dash duo of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart have the Panthers soaring and 1 win away from clinching home field advantage for the playoffs. No BCS can ruin the Panthers chances.

Right now, IMO, your Panthers are the best team in the NFC.

If they can beat the G-Men on Sunday, they would have to be considered favorites in the NFC to reach the Super Bowl.

Afterall, that would give Carolina HFA throughtout the playoffs, and they are unbeaten at home this year.

Right now, IMO, your Panthers are the best team in the NFC.
If they can beat the G-Men on Sunday, they would have to be considered favorites in the NFC to reach the Super Bowl.

Afterall, that would give Carolina HFA throughtout the playoffs, and they are unbeaten at home this year.

I'm still not sold on Carolina. They haven't proved yet that they can win the big game on the road. Sure they're 8-0 in sunny North Carolina, but on the road their a .500 team.

Going to East Rutherford and beating the Giants would go a long way in proving me wrong though. We shall see next week how good this team really is....

I'm still not sold on Carolina. They haven't proved yet that they can win the big game on the road. Sure they're 8-0 in sunny North Carolina, but on the road their a .500 team.

Going to East Rutherford and beating the Giants would go a long way in proving me wrong though. We shall see next week how good this team really is....

I agree that I wouldn't like the Panthers chances in a potential NFCCG at the Meadowlands, but right now I feel like the Panthers could go into Jersey and steal one.

The Panthers running game is devastating, and bad weather is in the long range forecast for Sunday night in the Northeast.

Buffalo Sabres- We started out well, but now, we're barely above .500 and third in the Northeast behind two superior teams in the Bruins and Habs. At least Vanek is earning his money- he is leading the league with 24 goals, on pace for 50!

Buffalo Bills- 4-0 start, then got drilled in Arizona. Other than a win over San Diego, it's been downhill since.

Utah Jazz- Playing decent basketball in a tough division. It's a three-team division with the Jazz, Blazers, and Nuggets, while everyone beats up on the T-Wolves and Thunder.

Syrcause basketball- Nice start, but last night was another kick to my groin as a sports fan.

Texas Tech football- I said before the season, they would beat everyone except Oklahoma.

Celtics: defending champs, currently on a 15 game winning streak and an NBA record 23-2 start. Not too shabby! Can't wait for Christmas Day on ABC: Celtics at Lakers, and then January 9: Celtics at Cavs.

Bruins: Best record in the Eastern Conference 21-5-4. With two solid goalies, four solid lines and very good defensemen, is there ANY doubt that this team is for real?

Red Sox: sure it was a dissappointing end to the '08 season, but the fact remains: 2 World Series championships in the last five years, and a team that is set up well for both the immediate future and distant future.

Jets: have been reeling of late, BUT they STILL control their own destiny in the AFC East.

So yeah, life has been pretty good on the sports front! :) :up

Cleveland, OH

Browns- Still suffering through a very disappointing season after being a near Cinderella story in '07. Our GM and Head Coach are on the chopping block. Many die-hard fans are tired of the rebuilding and just want to get back to respectability. A very trying time for Browns fans indeed.

Indians
- '08 was a hangover year from their near World Series appearance in '07. Much was expected of this team last year, but fell behind in the standings early due to key injuries and a bullpen that imploded. After the All-Star break though, there wasn't a better team in the league than the Tribe. This, along with 2 key bullpen signings gives me great optimism for the '09 season.

Cavaliers- This season, the Cavs are off to their best start in franchise history. LeBron and Z have two years left on their contracts. With the long needed addition of a real point guard (Mo Williams), this team finally has a formidably run offense to complement the already stout defense. I really believe this team has the best chance of any team I've ever seen in my lifetime to break the Championship Drought in Cleveland. This poor city has gone 180 combined seasons without a Championship. The last team to win a title were the Browns in 1964, prior to the Super Bowl.

Buckeyes (Football)- A disappointing season of sorts. With that said, a down year for the Buckeyes is 2 losses, so I feel kinda silly complaining. We did after all beat Michigan for the 5th consecutive year and still have a shot at redeeming ourselves in Bowl games against the almighty Texas Longhorns on January 5th. I'm not as down on this team as others and instead remain positive. We have a great future with the #1 recruit in the land in Tyrell Pryor.

Buckeyes
(Basketball)- This team had ZERO expectations coming into the season after losing Greg Oden, Mike Conley Jr. and Daequon Cook to the NBA. So far, they're undefeated, have risen in the rankings to #17 and have a few key wins so far against Miami of Fl. and Notre Dame.

OK, I'll play.

Braves- worst year in many. Dead and retiring announcers make the mood all the more somber.
2009 looks like another yawner.

Falcons- Best year since Vick went to the slammer. Playoff unlikely but not impossible. Nowhere to go but up.

Hawks- OMG Atlanta has a real professional basketball team.

Thrashers- there's always next year.

Georgia Dawgs- (football) Another "good" year, another year sans championship. 2009 will be more of the same but without the #1 talk.
(Basketball) The SEC champs of tornado town won't be in a whirlwind this year.

Tech- This is one case where getting rid of the coach really did make a huge difference. Great year.
2009 could be a stinger.

Georgia Force (arena football) Will the last person out please turn off the lights? We can't afford them.

OK, I'll play.

Braves- worst year in many. Dead and retiring announcers make the mood all the more somber.
2009 looks like another yawner.

Falcons- Best year since Vick went to the slammer. Playoff unlikely but not impossible. Nowhere to go but up.

Hawks- OMG Atlanta has a real professional basketball team.

Thrashers- there's always next year.

Georgia Dawgs- (football) Another "good" year, another year sans championship. 2009 will be more of the same but without the #1 talk.
(Basketball) The SEC champs of tornado town won't be in a whirlwind this year.

Tech- This is one case where getting rid of the coach really did make a huge difference. Great year.
2009 could be a stinger.

Georgia Force (arena football) Will the last person out please turn off the lights? We can't afford them.

Hey, whatever happened to the Omni? Was it replaced by Philips arena, or re-named? I went there when I was a little girl, I thought it was so cool.

Sandra

Hey, whatever happened to the Omni? Was it replaced by Philips arena, or re-named? I went there when I was a little girl, I thought it was so cool.

Sandra
The Omni was demolished to make way for Philips Arena which is on the same site.

Where to start?

A very bad year for Seattle teams.

MARINERS- new manager, new GM. If we could only get rid of our front office. It will be a few years before we will be above .500 again.

SONICS- I hope the Thunder lose every game.

SEAHAWKS- Way too many injuries to recover from. Holmgren will be missed.

HUSKIES Football- If Locker stays healthy and with the new head coach, they should be fine.

HUSKIES B-Ball- Should be an interesting year. Brockman is a stud and the freshman Isiah Thomas is going to be a star.

Where to start?

A very bad year for Seattle teams.

MARINERS- new manager, new GM. If we could only get rid of our front office. It will be a few years before we will be above .500 again.

SONICS- I hope the Thunder lose every game.

SEAHAWKS- Way too many injuries to recover from. Holmgren will be missed.

HUSKIES Football- If Locker stays healthy and with the new head coach, they should be fine.

HUSKIES B-Ball- Should be an interesting year. Brockman is a stud and the freshman Isiah Thomas is going to be a star.

Isiah Thomas? Really?

It said in another thread the Mariners actually PAID a luxury tax. Jeesh.

Sandra

ANAHEIM DUCKS...After a reasonable start the team has lost it's consistency and some of it's identity. Despite the "nose-to-the-wheel" style of coaching by Randy Carlysle, this team will wind up just barely making the playoffs this season. After that, as we know, it's anyone's guess.;)

LOS ANGELES ANGELS of ANAHEIM...Even though it appears that Tex will not be their 2009 Opening Day 1B, and the talk of trying to get Manny (please God, no!) in the outfield, this organization still has enough depth and an incredible farm system to make them contenders yet again for the AL West 2009 Championship.:up

Last edited:
Missing the 'ol East coast around the holidays there KCK? ;)

No..just trying to multi-task and I am (as you now see) not very good at it.

Actually, on Christmas Eve I will take a few moments and remember what a "happy" snowfall was like as a kid on Christmas Eve in NE PA.

Detroit Lions - on their way to becoming the first team to go 0-16 in the NFL. The once pround Lions have won exactly one playoff game under the 40+ year ownership of William Clay Ford & Family. It's way past time for new ownership.

Detroit Pistons - a top contender turned into a turd after trading Billups (winner) for Iverson (loser)...expect Joe Dumars to fire Coach Curry mid-season and clean house in the post season.

Detroit Tigers - could be headed in the right directly going into next season.

Detroit Red Wings - a top team, but making too many mental mistake along with poor netminding at this stage. They appear to need motivation, discipline or a key acquisition before going into the playoffs to retain the Stanley Cup. It's time to bring back Scotty Bowman.

Michigan Football - first losing season in 40+ years, first time not receiving a bowl bid in 30+ years....Coach Rodriguez in on the ropes, punch-drunk, and clueless. The time to fire Coach Rod was in the 5th week of the season. Get rid of him!!!!

Michigan Hockey - not playing very well this season...disappointing.

NFL week 16 (your picks)

Sam Bradford: AP College Player of the Year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)