Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Source

What happens when geeks join forces?

In this case, the result is a three-part, six-hour miniseries for Sci-Fi Channel called "The Triangle," airing Monday through Wednesday, Dec. 5 to 7, which explores the mysterious disappearances and phenomena in the Caribbean region known as the Bermuda Triangle. In real life, Bermuda, Miami and San Juan, Puerto Rico, form the three points of the triangle. In the fictional world, the miniseries is the creation of three people very familiar to the science-fiction world: Bryan Singer ("X-Men"), Dean Devlin ("Stargate") and Rockne S. O'Bannon ("Farscape").
OAS_AD('InStory300x250');
Directed by Craig R. Baxley ("Storm of the Century"), "The Triangle" stars Sam Neill as an eccentric shipping magnate who hires a motley crew to find out why his ships are vanishing. It includes a tabloid journalist (Eric Stoltz), a deep-ocean resource engineer (Catherine Bell), a meteorologist/adventurer (Michael Rodgers) and a psychic (Bruce Davison).
Meanwhile, the lone survivor (Lou Diamond Phillips) of a Greenpeace expedition that witnessed the bizarre destruction of a whaling ship returns home to find that the world is not as he remembers it.
Like any good tale of the fantastic, the story of "The Triangle" begins long, long ago -- when Devlin was a teenager -- with the scene of the Greenpeace boat watching the whaler sucked down into a boiling ocean.
"Bryan and I have been friends for a long time," Devlin says. "We met at the Sundance Film Festival when he did 'The Usual Suspects.' We'd always been looking for a project to do together. He was in my office one day, and I pitched him a scene that I had written when I was in high school, that took place in the Bermuda Triangle.
"I always remembered this scene, and I never knew where to go with it. Bryan is so brilliant that, within two seconds, he had a whole story flood out of his mind. We started working on this treatment together."
The two soon realized that the story was too large for a feature film, so they decided to take it to Sci-Fi Channel, which has had great success with miniseries such as "Dune" and "Earthsea." At that point, in came O'Bannon, whose "Farscape" series had launched Sci-Fi's Friday series lineup -- ironically now anchored by "Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate Atlantis," TV spinoffs of Devlin's movie.
"Rockne has a long history with this type of material," Devlin says, "and he has a loyal audience, the same way Bryan and I do. We thought he would get the sensibility. Bryan and I wrote a 60-page treatment that was basically the bible for the whole show. We gave it to Rockne, he added an enormous amount, and then wrote the six hours."
"I did a four-hour version," O'Bannon says. "At the end of January, they said, 'Make it six, and get it on in December.' It also wasn't just a matter of writing another two hours at the back end. I had to deconstruct it, obviously. It was a bit hairy, and it continues to be."
For producers used to working with feature-film budgets, getting what they wanted and not breaking the bank was another concern.
"The next thing we had to say as producers," Devlin says, "is 'OK, we've written something that would be a $200 million movie. How do we do this in the format and in the budget constraints?'
"One of the first decisions was not to cut anything. That's a pretty tough call, because we had very expensive things in the show. We said, 'Let's use every trick we've learned as filmmakers to accomplish it.'"
According to Devlin, "The Triangle" -- shot entirely in high-definition video -- has more than 850 digital effects shots, so he brought in a big gun.
"The effects are being supervised by Volker Engel," he says, "who won the Oscar for me on 'Independence Day.' So the level of special effects will be far beyond what you see on television."
On the storytelling side, O'Bannon liked the idea that there are facts and figures associated with Bermuda Triangle lore, not just eyewitnesses and anecdotes.
"The Bermuda Triangle is all chronicled and documented," he says. "These craft go down. So that made it a particularly interesting natural mystery. That was part of what sold me on it.
"Part two was taking the characters that Dean and Bryan had put into play and making them stand for us, the audience, in terms of approaching this. They come at it with all the cynicism and disbelief and crossed-arms, show-me attitude that all of us have when somebody mentions the Bermuda Triangle."
Filming took place in and around Cape Town, South Africa, which was a mixed blessing for the cast.
"It was fun," Bell says. "It was intense. It was three months. It was in a beautiful place. Oh my God, I fell in love with that town, with the country, with the people. The locations are amazing."
In the midst of all this loveliness was the reality of shooting a story, much of which takes place near and under water.
"We got a little wet," Bell says. "We got blasted, man. We were on top of a sub, on top of a boat, submerged underwater when we get thrown off the sub and the boat. It was winter there, and we were wearing wet suits, but you still get cold and damp. It was intense.
"Plus, they had rain machines and then water cannons. Right in the eye, that's always good. Oh, my God, drowned rat. Craig doesn't care. He's nice and dry behind the monitors. "Sure, we were freezing, but it's fun to complain. But they took great care of us, and it was part of the adventure."

Great - A 6 hour miniseries, shot entirely in HD, being shown in SD by Sci-Fi channel.

Who thought this up?

And when will it show in Canada, I have Bev. I love watching Stargate Atlantis in Hi-Def with real honest-to-goodness credits.

I was hoping for a simultaneous debut in Canada on the 'M' channel, but no such luck

'Triangle' Swallows Strong Ratings for Sci Fi

Wednesday, December 07, 2005
03:05 PM PT

The Sci Fi Channel has pretty well regained its miniseries mojo with "The Triangle," which has drawn strong and remarkably consistent ratings over the first two of its three nights.
The six-hour miniseries, which was executive produced by Bryan Singer ("X-Men," "House"), Dean Devlin ("Independence Day") and writer Rockne S. O'Bannon ("Farscape"), drew 4.3 million viewers for each of its first two installments Monday and Tuesday (Dec. 5 and 6). That's about 600,000 more viewers than tuned into the cable channel's December 2004 miniseries "Earthsea." Sci Fi says Monday's premiere, which drew a 3.7 household rating, was the highest-rated miniseries debut on the network since "Taken" opened to a 4.9 rating three years ago.

OAS_AD('InStory300x250');
Tuesday's installment did fractionally better, making it the best-rated program on Sci Fi since the finale of the "Battlestar Galactica" mini in 2003.
On both nights, "The Triangle" was the most-watched entertainment program on cable (it trailed USA's "WWE Raw" on Monday) and outdrew some of its broadcast competition, including everything on UPN and The WB. The miniseries, which concludes at 9 p.m. Wednesday, stars Sam Neill, Eric Stoltz and Catherine Bell as members of a group investigating the mysterious occurrences within the Bermuda Triangle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts