The True HD era has come to an end and the HD Lite era will continue!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Neutron said:
I voted with my pocketbook last year when I switched to D*, but it was on a non-HD related issue,
I'm really hoping D* doesn't follow suit and do the same crap with their new HD progamming that may be added later on.
I really feel for you E* subs. :(

You hope D* doesn't start? Isn't D* already doing the same crap, downrezzing to HD Lite?

The bottom line is that if subscription rates don't slow down and churn rate doesn't increase...there is probably very little we can do to change what appears to be a business decision. E* would just as soon cut loose 10,000 disgruntled subscribers then deal with all their calls and e-mails on a daily basis.

If our collective actions don't affect the bottom line then say hello to HD-Lite...it's gonna be around awhile.

Let's just hope E* has time to digest this information and reconsideration their position prior to the press release.

baya,

I still don't understand your other post regarding poor Latino programming on DISH. Sure they just launched a Mexican channel and not a South American channel, but still I have yet had someone complain that a company X had more and better Latino programming than DISH.... until you! We cater to a large Latino community here in the DC area, namely customers from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Colombia, Argentina, Brazil (some only get the Portugese, though), Chile, Mexico, Panama, and etc. The Latino community is large and thriving around here so I think I have a fairly accurate picture of what DISH has to offer for the Latino customers, regardless if they're from Central or South America. ;)

Well, in honesty, unless Voom is offered on another platform, DISH has a monopoly and will try to use that leverage to bring what they want to bring. Now, if Voom was also offered on D* and D* offered it for cheaper or better, we wouldn't be discussing this right now. Unless of course, if EVERYONE in the business downrezzed to 1280x1080i with no choice for the consumers but to accept it.

But again, who would rather get more HD channels than get full-glory Voom?

HD will be better than SD?

Will HD ever takeover? If it does become the mainstream, would the current SD channels shrink? If HD does take a grip, then maybe SD will take the back seat and more bandwidth will improve HD. Regarding terrestrial OTA it is questionable but I do see a trend with networks in adding more HD programs.

I expect that we will always have too much compression of programming regardless of HD and SD. Personally, I think that HD with compression is far better than SD with compression.

blueaurora said:
The picture quality was nothing compared to Cable HD anyways. I have had both. This just strengthen's my resolve to stay with cable.

How does HD on cable compare to Satellite?

Somewhere there must be a chart comparing all three. I'm particularly interested in HD on Comcast cable.

Help me out here. I understandard what resolution is.

My question is (the one that counts for me) is will I notice any difference with HD Lite.

I have a 65" RPTV HDTV.

I had Direct TV HD and I now have Dish with Voom HD.

I never could tell the difference between Direct TVs HD and Dishes.

What should I be looking for and how do I tell the difference.

I would be glad to write the CEO and Complain, but I need to know and see what I am complaining about so I can write a good letter.

Seems to me if I am paying for HD I should be getting HD.

riffjim4069 said:
The bottom line is that if subscription rates don't slow down and churn rate doesn't increase...there is probably very little we can do to change what appears to be a business decision. E* would just as soon cut loose 10,000 disgruntled subscribers then deal with all their calls and e-mails on a daily basis.
If our collective actions don't affect the bottom line then say hello to HD-Lite...it's gonna be around awhile.
Let's just hope E* has time to digest this information and reconsideration their position prior to the press release.

Now, I know that on or about 3 -4 years ago SWB got sue because they tended to drop the boud rate of transmition (DSL) at night without informing their subscribers. They lost the classaction law suit. Maybe, a good lawyer could make a good case with the dropside of the resolution.

The only way these people understand is through Law Suits. Isn't it the Great American Way? I was able to get out of my contract with SWB. :D

exv said:
I'm disappointed to hear about this too.
I have a dumb question - while it seems clear to me that viewers with 1080i HDTVs will notice the lower resolution, will viewers that have 720p HDTVs, or any HDTV that has lower than 1080i resolution, notice the difference between 1920x1080 versus 1280x1080 ?
Thanks,
EXV

This is a good point and it all can be attributed to the low priced E HDTV. Most people (not us geekers) will run out and buy these $997 E HD Tvs and I would assume all but those that have had these like me since about 2001 (plama's and such just for DTVs HDNET have the (in the masses) cheaper E HD. Truly most away from the educated will not even know they are not getting true HD, as they are just so pleased from 480i.

What DICK and DAVE are doing is opening up a true door for Time Warner Comcast, and if these majors in the cable business, who already upscale a signal to 720 on regular take advantage of this, if their thinking is not the same as DICK and DAVE, then I see a huge opportunity for them

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Well, in honesty, unless Voom is offered on another platform, DISH has a monopoly and will try to use that leverage to bring what they want to bring. Now, if Voom was also offered on D* and D* offered it for cheaper or better, we wouldn't be discussing this right now. Unless of course, if EVERYONE in the business downrezzed to 1280x1080i with no choice for the consumers but to accept it.
But again, who would rather get more HD channels than get full-glory Voom?

suppose to be on fios tv. i do not believe they are downrezzing anything.

RandallA said:
"The worst part is that they do not know that there are over 20+ Latin countries besides Mexico."
I think they know. They have TV Colombia, Centroamerica TV, TV Chile, Canal 1 (Ecuador), TV Española, and the regular Univision, Telemundo, Telefutura, Azteca America channels.
I count programming from at least 10 different countries and that's not including Univision, Telemundo and Telefutura. What else do you want?

Aegentina, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, PuertoRico, Colombia, Chile, ALL of those and more. Hell!! There is not even a close competition. Channel one! That must be a new station they got that after I left their sorry service.

Last edited:
I just said that E* has TV Colombia, TV Chile, Canal 1 (Ecuador). Plus SUR:

SUR allows viewers to stay informed of newsworthy events in Latin America by retransmitting live the daily newscasts and most popular shows from the leading broadcasting networks of Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Panama, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Mexico.

Maybe they don't have the channel that you want thus your beef with E* but they do have enough content for most Latin American viewers. E* has been offering the Dish Latino package for so many years. DirecTV just got into it recently.

ScottChez said:
Help me out here. I understandard what resolution is.

My question is (the one that counts for me) is will I notice any difference with HD Lite.

I have a 65" RPTV HDTV.

I had Direct TV HD and I now have Dish with Voom HD.

I never could tell the difference between Direct TVs HD and Dishes.

What should I be looking for and how do I tell the difference.

I would be glad to write the CEO and Complain, but I need to know and see what I am complaining about so I can write a good letter.

Seems to me if I am paying for HD I should be getting HD.

you should get familiar with MPEG-2 Artifacts. Here's a start http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=6027&highlight=MPEG+Artifacts

Also, read Gary's thread. He has a couple of examples there.

Well, guys the discussion about Latin American Channels is not appropiate in this thread. It is OT since none of them are HD. So please create your own thread to discuss those. Thanks.

Stacy A said:
Yeah, I told the CSR that I was cancelling because Dish was not broadcasting it in the higher resolution. She could not have cared less and I doubt she knew what I was talking about anyway. I'm just hoping that Charlie suddenly notices a trend: that a large number of HD subscribers suddenly dropped the VOOM package. I think since we don't make up an enormous number, that it wouldn't take all that many dropping their VOOM service to be a noticeable statistical anomaly.

It will take a CLassaction Law Suit!!

korsjs said:
suppose to be on fios tv. i do not believe they are downrezzing anything.
There is a strong possibility VOOM21 will be on FiOS TV by March. You are correct, there will be no downrezzing of any channel(s)...they may even throw in a few extra bits for good measure.:D

Question about FIOS and Voom. In our area, FIOS doesn't serve TV so I have no idea if FIOS customers can get their TV service on it. But in any case, that may be an interesting scenario if Voom becomes a popular choice for HD customers in general and people choose to go FIOS for the full HD resolution of Voom on there. When's the next Tech Chat anyway? We should voice this on air and see what Charlie or his Tech guys say on the air. Charlie doesn't come on Retailer Chats anymore.

Sean, what's your feedback on the other thread where they're doing some "alleged" testing and tweaking on the Voom channels? The latest around 2:00 PM ET is that the channels look as good as before the HD lite conversion.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)