The truth about cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

talon1189

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2004
I just purchased a new Sony KDF-60XS955 LCD TV set. I just subscribed to Voom also. I have been reading some information on Monster Cables and picture issues if these overpriced cables :shocked really make a difference in picture and audio quality or not? I am just setting up my home theatre for 5.1 and need to know if there are any known facts if better cables really make a diffence in video and sound quality or if this is just a hoax? Would I notice the difference between Monster Cables compared to a gold cable setup from Radio Shack or not? Thanks in advance for all opinions ;)

No reason to buy over priced cables. My rule of thumb is to spend 10% of the purchase price of the object being connected. If your Av receiver cost 500 then 50 dollars worth of speaker wire.
You will receive hundreds of recomendations for cabling. Keep within YOUR budget. All the testamonials in the world will not make a 150 dollar DVD player produce a picture comparable to a 1000 dollar one by using 200 dollars with of wire.

Kevinw said:
No reason to buy over priced cables. My rule of thumb is to spend 10% of the purchase price of the object being connected. I your Av receiver cost 500 then 50 dollars worth of speaker wire.
You will receive hundreds of recomendations for cabling. Keep within YOUR budget. All the testamonials in the world will not make a 150 dollar DVD player produce a picture comparable to a 1000 dollar one by using 200 dollars with of wire.
Thank you for the quick reply Kevinw :D I paid $3,460.00 for my TV :D By your allowance of 10% per item being hooked up that means that I should spend $350.00 for cables :eek: That is way more than my budget can afford :shocked :shh LOL!

talon1189 said:
Thank you for the quick reply Kevinw :D I paid $3,460.00 for my TV :D By your allowance of 10% per item being hooked up that means that I should spend $350.00 for cables :eek: That is way more than my budget can afford :shocked :shh LOL!
Not the TV the Connections to it.. $200 DVD player= 20 dollars worth of component cable , and a 20 dollar optical cable. 500 dollar A?V receiver- 50 dollars worth of speaker wire....

I am still looking for more opinions about cables. Are Monster Cables worth the extra robbery? Does anyone really know if they truly make a difference or not? :confused:

talon1189 said:
I am still looking for more opinions about cables. Are Monster Cables worth the extra robbery? Does anyone really know if they truly make a difference or not? :confused:
IMHO, Monster cables are a TOTAL waste of money. Stay within your budget and get 'good' quality cables. One source I like is www.comcatusa.com for AV cables at a reasonable price. Pacificcable.com is a good source for DVI cables.

Welcome to the forum, talon1189!

Good cables and high quality connections do make a difference! Especially for analog signals (e.g. speakers). This has been proven in many tests and back-to-back comparisons. Having said that, Monster cables seem a bit overpriced. I don't think you can go wrong with them, but you may end-up paying premium...

So..........what I am being told here is....Monster Cables are over rated, and over priced? I would be getting the same quality video and audio in my soon to be setup 5.1 home theatre setup with a cheaper quality cable? I do not wanna waste money on something that I do not need to as I am on a tight budget after my new Sony 60" LCD purchase. All opinions are appreciated :D Thanks!

talon1189 said:
So..........what I am being told here is....Monster Cables are over rated, and over priced? I would be getting the same quality video and audio in my soon to be setup 5.1 home theatre setup with a cheaper quality cable? I do not wanna waste money on something that I do not need to as I am on a tight budget after my new Sony 60" LCD purchase. All opinions are appreciated :D Thanks!
Radio Shack Gold or AR are great affordable wire. No matter what, High priced wire is not going to make a low priced DVD or AV receiver sound or look like a high end piece.
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newsletter/147/cable_survey2.html
Do not be suprized at what the 'Experts" find to be the best bang for the buck

I have been an av hobbyist for about 4 years now. A substantial portion of my system is wired with MonsterCable. The key with MonsterCable is ANALOG .... no one does it better! If you are talking digital (TOSLINK, DVI, HDMI, IEEE 1394 ... whatever) there is NO DIFFERENCE in performance between a monster cable and the thin little piece of crap that comes in a box. Digital is not subject to interference as analog is, anything can screw up analog.

Based upon personal experience I would recommend a mid-grade MonsterCable for all your analog connections. You do not need the best, as with everything the higher up you move the less value you get. For Composite, Component S-Video, and analog audio there is no better cable.

slacker9876 said:
For Composite, Component S-Video, and analog audio there is no better cable.

Perhaps not better, but certainly there are many manufacturers that are less expensive and equally as good as Monster. And some are made in the United States or Canada and not China.

FWIW, I've bought $5 cables online from Parts Express and saw ZERO difference between them and the high priced spread. There are bad cheap cables and there are bad expensive cables, YMMV.

I got a set of gold component video cables from Radio Shaft for 5.99 in their bargain basket closeouts. Worked fine.

GOt a DVI-D cable off of ebay for a buck. Works like a charm.

AS DarrellP sez... YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts