The Tube - Tearing on Some Videos

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beeb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
I, like most of you here, tremendously enjoy The Tube on G10R. I hope it stays FTA as long as possible.
I have noticed one quite annoying problem in some of their videos. I did a search here but noone seems to have mentioned it before.
There is considerable "tearing" of the video on some clips. The same kind of tearing you see on your PC when the video card is not powerful enough to render all video information passed to it from the processor - like when playing a very demanding computer game at high quality settings. This can be observed only on contemporary videos, but not on all of them. Prime examples are the 2 Dido songs - "The best day of my life" and "White flag" - that they seem to be playing constantly.
I watch it on a 56'' DLP TV with a DVB card in an HTPC. I definitely do not have any problem with video card or CPU power, my P4 3.6Ghz rig and Radeon 9800pro are more than enough even for the most demanding HDTV.
I have never observed this phenomenon on any other channel on any satellite, cable, OTA, etc. It clearly looks like a video rendering problem on their side. But before I write to The Tube about this, I wanted to get confirmation that it can be observed on a normal analog TV with a normal FTA receiver. If noone else sees it, I will have to assume that it's a weird one-channel specific problem with my software codecs (although I've tried all of them with the same result).

Anyone?

I've noticed that too. It must just be a slow encoder on their end, because it seems there's too much of a delay when moving from one row of blocks (MPEG blocks, not pixels) to the next. During the delay, enough of the video has changed for there to be a noticeable problem. The result is a sort of top-down wavyness especially when the camera is panning with enough background stuff in the picture. The underpowered video card analogy is a good description.

If you do write to them, be careful... :) Definitely don't make it sound like you're just complaining. I mean, after all, it's free! That's why I've never let this issue be a real problem for me. This channel is still the BEST value (really, not just because it's free) out of all the FTA stuff in my opinion.

I won't ask for my money back, I promise :)
Just intend to let them know about the problem and thank them for the great job so far.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts