The Weather Channel...locally that is.

I doubt that there's any - it would be extremely difficult.

Local TWC data is inserted at the cable companies head-end using local equipment.

I don't see any way that E* could either get access to that data, or distribute it appropriately.

I read a story that The Weather Channel is actually working on a way to make this possible.... They're certainly aware of the "problem", not that it's their fault or problem.

There is always the DishHome OpenTV local weather forecast. It is really a token thing, but I guess its better than nothing at all.

It has a bunch of local cities in it already. Every software update they seem to add more.

Doesn't "the weather channel offer a group of "regional channels"..not local but it would atleast be better

All of these solutions will need 2 things: bandwidth and software. The bandwidth can be part of the normal non-video data stream(s), but the software to switch gears when a signal is seen in the TWC stream - that'd be something else entirely.

Why don't E* and D* use the HDD capability of their PVR's to download the local weather info and display it like the big boys do? They could cut out some of the fancy graphics and get just the text which would be fine by me.

I think the maps and radars would be nice to have in the OpenTv applications. Couldn't Dish Network use the spotbeam satellites to send The Weather Channel locals on the 8's local weather information to save bandwidth to only those regions?

I also think it would be nice for Dish to get the several weather channels that PrimeStar had for each region displaying the radars, watches and warnings up to date, that way you would not have to wait for the radar and information you need in your region.

I do not even use the Weather Channel. I can get local weather, radar and any weather info I want including alerts on my computer in seconds. Watching the Weather Channel takes 15-20 minutes to get the weather.

Try this link for Weatherbug with alerts.

http://ww3.weatherbug.com/aws/index.asp

As do I (Post #8). However, a significant portion of the E* customer base is rural, and many of them have lttle to no decent internet access.

Stargazer said:
I think the maps and radars would be nice to have in the OpenTv applications. Couldn't Dish Network use the spotbeam satellites to send The Weather Channel locals on the 8's local weather information to save bandwidth to only those regions?
The spotbeams don't even have enough bandwidth to transmit all the broadcasters in many markets, much less TWC local feeds--that's why we have the "two-dish" controversy.

Even sending just "local on the 8's" would use a full channel's bandwidth for 2 out of every 10 minutes in every DMA, all at the same time; what would you do with the other 8 minutes? (Not everyone has a DVR, so no, you can't just stack 5 DMAs on the same channel.) You'd end up with a full TWC feed for nearly every DMA, which isn't feasible right now (though after 2008, when Charlie says he'll have enough space to do away with all "two-dish" locals, it might be possible--IF he's not stuck with HD must-carry by then). Regional feeds might work, however.

Another idea for when we all have HD receivers: Why not transmit a national radar map in full-blown HD, with a built-in zoom feature showing your part of the country in SD? That would work without having to get separate TWC feeds for every DMA; text elements (forecasts, temperatures, etc.) could be added via data stream, much like Dish Instant Weather.

I would like to see this happen with the weather channel going local.I would like to see my local radar to monitor storms.I dropped my cable down to only the basic for my locals so I lost the weather channel on my cable setup and I hope the weather channel will find a way to go local for satellite customers.Also is there any chance dish interactive will get local radar?

I can see current local weather radar, etc. becoming available via OpenTV requiring a DVR so that the maps can be stored. I don't see any other way of doing it given the bandwidth limitations.

Dish would have to update it frequently though instead of having it delayed every hour or two in which many storms can fire up during that little amount of time. Trust me I know, a storm blew up right over my house and then they issued a tornado warning for it - last week. This is why it is important to have updated information.

Stargazer said:
Dish would have to update it frequently though instead of having it delayed every hour or two in which many storms can fire up during that little amount of time. Trust me I know, a storm blew up right over my house and then they issued a tornado warning for it - last week. This is why it is important to have updated information.

If Dish wanted to they could do a regonial weather system fairly easily. Dish has plenty of bandwidth at the wings. Each regional channel would cover the national, regional, and local weather for the area it serves. Offer the weather channel free (2nd Dish required and pay a small install fee 85% of normal fee)

I know I would love to have a weather channel on Dish. That is the only reason I still have cable also.

RVD420 said:
If Dish wanted to they could do a regonial weather system fairly easily. Dish has plenty of bandwidth at the wings. Each regional channel would cover the national, regional, and local weather for the area it serves. Offer the weather channel free (2nd Dish required and pay a small install fee 85% of normal fee)

I know I would love to have a weather channel on Dish. That is the only reason I still have cable also.
Dish already installs the second dish for minor locals in "two-dish" markets--for free. Would the NAB be screaming so loud if everyone took up that offer? They have enough problems getting locals up in every DMA in the first place, with the NAB breathing down their necks and all; adding local TWC isn't a priority right now. (Not to mention that I doubt they have "plenty of bandwidth at the wings".) Regional TWC could be done with a 110/119 CONUS channel for each region, however.

Good responses to my question. Thanks for the inquiries. I actually use www.wunderground.com for most of my weather info, and a small yet highly effective program called Weatherwatcher (http://www.singerscreations.com/AboutWeatherWatcher.asp) which is awesome b/c it has no spy-ware/ads like the others!

I was just curious more than anything. Living in Kansas, I can't have to much on the info side.

depending on where you are, local radar may be available ota... in DFW, we get radar on 3 ota channels: 5.2, 8.2 & 21.2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts