The Welcome Pack

PALL MALL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I've been thinking about getting dish network for a while and recently heard about the welcome pack for $9.99. I found a list of channels it includes and it seems to fit my needs. Can anyone with the welcome pack tell me what there bill is after taxes. Will I be able to add premium channels like hbo? What about cinemax for a penny, I see it still advertised on the dn site.

You will be charged your regular state sales tax. You will not see the other taxes and fees like one would get from a cable or phone company. You can add premium channels to the package as well if you want. You can also get the Cinemax for a penny for a year deal.

I have a few receivers laying around that havent been active in over 3 years. I heard that dish sent out new access cards recently and I will need a new one. Will I be charged for it, do I need to subscribe before I get the card?or do I need the card before I subscribe?

I hope they let me subscribe, last time they told me it would be $400+ for new equipment :rant:. Apparently its because I never returned my old dish 300 way back in '98. Well I did the dish movers program, I brought the dish and receiver to the new house. The installers came and installed a whole new system, so I put the old stuff in the attic. They never asked for it back! Well in '03 I switched to Direct tv because dish kept charging for crap I never ordered. It looks like im going back to dish now. I still have my dish 500 and I got a few newer receivers from a friend. There DP 301's, will they work?

Last edited:
Is there an unadvertised Encore package? How many a la carte channels do they have?

Is that the channel lineup for the Welcome Pack? I am really curious; I find it interesting. I know some friends who are looking for a good value who only watch certain channels. I do not know if they would add the Encore Pack and Cinemax for a Penny promotion. However, I do not see why not since it is a great day (Encore for $4.99/month excluding WAM and Cinemax for $0.01/year as long as the promotion continues--at least first year a penny):

LOCALS ($5.00--$9.99 without welcome pack):

Varies by location

WELCOME PACK ($9.99):

84 HSN
85 SRN
86 Jewelry Television
107 Comedy Central
110 Food Network
111 DIY
112 HGTV
120 History
127 Oxygen
128 WE Tv
130 AMC
137 QVC
139 TBS
161 MTV 2
166 CMT
175 Boomerang
179 Discovery Kids
183 TLC
185 Hallmark
203 Bloomberg
209 Msnbc
214 The Weather Channel
222 Home Shopping Network
228 Shop NBC

Encore Pack ($4.99--does not include Encore WAM):

341 Encore West
342 Encore Westerns
343 Encore Action
344 Encore Mystery
345 Encore Drama
346 Encore Love

Cinemax for a Penny Promotion ($0.01 for whole year; may continue yearly if promotion continues):

310 Max East
311 Max West
312 MoreMax
313 ActionMax
314 5StarMax

***Plus tax

Questions:
1) Does anyone know if you get the "All Sub" channels and the Public Interest channels, too?
2) Is HD available with this package? I do not think so, but I could be wrong. I would like to be wrong on this one because that would be an amazing deal.
3) Do you have to pay for installation, equipment, etc.? Would there be an inexpensive way around this? I would think that would be the only thing stopping people from getting this package.

On a Personal Note:
We recently switched from D* (where we had ChoiceXtra) to E* (Gold 250 with HD & Platinum with the Cinemax for a Penny offer) and are loving it! We love the movie channels, and the picture quality is so much better! We found the installation with E* better than with D*. I believe the installation took about six and half hours, but the installer was really great and actually explained things to us unlike when D* came.

My aunt has this very pack, but no HD versions :

14.99 - Welcome pack + locals
04.99 - Encore pack
00.01 - Cinemax pack
-------------------------------
21.50 with tax monthly

I currently have the welcome pack with 2 HD-DVRs, and $0.01/year Cinemax:

14.99 - Welcome pack + locals
11.96 - DVR Fees
7.00 - DHA Leased Receiver
2.33 - State Tax
-------------------------------------
36.28 - Total except when Cinemax comes due, then $36.29

Dish Network is supposed to automatically generate a new G3 card to be sent to you when you activate a receiver with an older card and not charge you for it but sometimes they will try to charge you for it. They have told me that there is a charge for it and have told me just the opposite.

Welcome Pak

Very interesting.
Please tell me what channels are included in "Public Interest"?
Also is there any commitment or contract?
I have a Dish 510 DVR and a Dish already installed so I assume there would be NO install fee.
I definitely would need a new card.

Thanks all :up

you need to subscribe to something to get the PI pack but its the channels 9400-9418 + a few more

C-Span
NASA
TBN
EWTN
Angel One
KTV (religious channel)
CTN (Christian channel)
Starfish TV
Research
HITN
BYU TV
Pentagon
Classic Arts
Colours
Link TV
Northern AZ learning
Univ of California
V-Me
Free Speech TV
PAEC

There might be a couple more but thats what I remember

No Mo MAX

DISH has stopped the Cinimax promotion as of a few days ago. No new signups for 1 cent annual...

:rant: :rant: :rant:

That sucks. I guess Dish has one less advantage now compared to the competition. Little perks like that is what helps retain customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts