The YouTube TV Thread

Well, that makes YTTV just that much less interesting. Oh well, I guess they've decided to stop losing so much money on this delivery method now.

It'll take a while yet to get there. My cable company wants $30/mo for "whole home DVR" plus $10+ in rental fees for each box. Just two boxes puts me at YTTV's new price, which still includes all the "whole home DVR" functions on any number of devices I have in my house. Not to mention, when I cut the cord three years ago I paid $35/mo with PS Vue. I then switched to YTTV to continue the $35/mo pricing. I'm now paying $50. Assuming at least a $5/year increase for cable over the same years (a conservative estimate, and assuming they didn't move any favorite channels into higher tiers or add random fees like for RSNs or local channel access), I'm still saving at least the same amount of money and still getting more in terms of my whole home access and unlimited DVR storage.

Reactions: Gobucks
While I am ok with the price for the service, I am sad to see the increase. I will be checking the competitors again to see what the best value is for me with this new increase, however, the channel selection, pq, stability, and UI will likely keep with with YTTV for the foreseeable future. I will definitely not make any changes until June 3, as that is when mine goes to the new pricing.

Considering what I would have to pay with a traditional provider to get the channels that I personally watch on the number of sets we would want programming on, I dont ever see me going back that route, as their pricing will continue to rise as well.

Yeah I will be switching over to YouTube TV later this summer and looks like they just added Discovery Channel,HGTV,Food Network,TLC,Investigation Discovery,Animal Planet,Travel Channel, and MotorTrend. Also OWN is coming later this year read more below.. :)

YouTube TV increases its monthly price to $50 a month, but adds Discovery channels

YouTube TV increases its monthly price to $50 a month, but adds Discovery channels

Yeah that's great if people can get locked in at a lower price but for me even $50 is still saving me money plus no taxes on equipment or contracts and you can't be up to 6 users as well.
The grandfathered price ends then is what he is saying. Early customers were locked in at $35. That is ending.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I keep reading and watching all these streaming threads to provide ideas about what to do for future TV and honestly, with these prices I'm not seeing anything that would entice me away from Flex Pack. What I see happening is exactly what the cable companys did - offer essentially one package and just keep stuffing in more and more channels to justify raising the price. Give it a couple more years of stuffing and the cord-cutters will be back paying the same as they were paying for cable.

Give it a couple more years of stuffing and the cord-cutters will be back paying the same as they were paying for cable.

Possible. Prices will definitely continue to go up on all the platforms, streaming and traditional.

But, the savings have been realized for me, so I am happy with what I have saved so far, and as far as i can see, will continue to save for some time.

When it comes to a certain price point, tv just isn’t worth it to me, no matter the delivery method.

Once it loses the value to me, I’ll just drop it and buy what few shows I really want to see.

I see it as 6 devices, 3 streams...
Except it isn’t. I’ve got more than that many devices on my account.

What it really is as I see it is 6 different profiles. Wife, kid, friend, ect. Set your own recordings, favorites, and such.

But even with 6 different profiles you can still only have three streams going at any one time across ALL profiles.

I see it as 6 devices, 3 streams...
It's six users and 3 streams. Each user can customize the experience in the guide and has their own DVR. It does not matter how many devices you attempt to use. I've never tried more than 3 DVR streams at a time...there may be something there...

Shared YouTube TV memberships & family groups
Create a family group to share YouTube TV—as well as other Google apps and services—with up to 5 other people.

How family groups work on YouTube TV
  • If you've purchased a YouTube TV membership, you can create a family group to share your membership with up to 5 people at no additional cost. When you create a family group, you become the family manager.
  • As the family manager, you can invite family members (13 or older) to join your family group.
  • As a family group member, you can build your own personal library of content in YouTube TV. Your viewing preferences and DVR are all your own—we won't share your library or watch history with your family group.
  • Sharing YouTube TV as part of a family group also lets you share other Google services with the same people. Learn more about family groups on Google.

• Family group members can use YouTube TV on up to three separate devices at the same time. Note that if one family member is watching YouTube TV on both a computer and a mobile device, this counts as two of the three available devices—even though they’re being used by the same account.

Except it isn’t. I’ve got more than that many devices on my account.

What it really is as I see it is 6 different profiles. Wife, kid, friend, ect. Set your own recordings, favorites, and such.

But even with 6 different profiles you can still only have three streams going at any one time across ALL profiles.

It's six users and 3 streams. Each user can customize the experience in the guide and has their own DVR. It does not matter how many devices you attempt to use. I've never tried more than 3 DVR streams at a time...there may be something there...

Ah, I see now. It’s like the Hulu system.

Ah, I see now. It’s like the Hulu system.
Similar, although I’m not sure how Hulu handles letting users outside the home area set up different profiles.

I’ve let rocky use my YouTube tv as a friend “account” and we both had our own locals many hundreds of miles apart.

Another limitation to the accounts is that each user must log in from the home city at least once every 30 days. If you do not log in from the home city, you cannot access YouTube TV until you can.

Another limitation to the accounts is that each user must log in from the home city at least once every 30 days. If you do not log in from the home city, you cannot access YouTube TV until you can.
It seems the limit varies from 30 days to 3 months. I’ve seen it both ways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts