The YouTube TV Thread

YouTube TV drops YES Network, shutting out Yankees fans | How you can watch Yankees games online, without cable
YouTube TV subscribers won’t be able to watch Yankees games this season. The streaming service announced on Thursday it was dropping YES Network and a number of other regional sports networks owned by Sinclair Broadcasting Company from its rotatio...

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: rapidturtle
After yet another bug with YTTV I said to heck with it and cancelled. But since they just billed me today for another month I am stuck with YTTV till March 24th.

Today I wanted to watch 'Mad Money' from my library and it gave me 'Shark Tank' instead. And strangely, at the bottom of the screen there was no position marker!
I changed my mind and restarted YTTV.

It would cost me $200 plus the cost of a dish just to try Orby satellite TV.

I can live with the bugs for now. With any luck, reporting them to YTTV support will get them fixed.

A Sinclair rep is saying they had offered to lower the fees on the RSNs, as well as a short-term extension. Article.
It sounds fishy them saying they went into negotiations offering to charge less than they were currently charging, and YTTV said no. Unless YTTV simply wants to get out of offering RSNs altogether to bring down costs and never intended to renew.

A Sinclair rep is saying they had offered to lower the fees on the RSNs, as well as a short-term extension. Article.
It sounds fishy them saying they went into negotiations offering to charge less than they were currently charging, and YTTV said no. Unless YTTV simply wants to get out of offering RSNs altogether to bring down costs and never intended to renew.

Sinclair also called their programming "some of the most popular and in-demand programming they carry." I find that claim to be dubious. Perhaps as a whole across all the RSNs and YES, but on a per channel basis, it seems very unlikely.

I went on the YouTube TV website to see if they had anything to say about losing the RSN's and there was nothing mentioned. In fact when I put in my zip code for my area they still had the RSN's on there with no mention or asterisk that they would be removed Feb.29th. At least they give you a free trial before you buy.

It is time for the RSNs to go streaming only. The viewership numbers just don't justify MVPDs paying to carry them.

Its my thinking If Sinclair could make any money on just streaming RSN they would have done it a long time ago. Sinclair is just trying to make MONEY off the people who don't watch RSN. Sinclair needs to learn something might be better than NOTHING.

I'm hearing that Sinclair really put themselves in a big hole in acquiring the Fox RSNs and their stock prices have tumbled as a result. I suspect they are trying to milk the channels for every penny they can get, but it's backfiring. There's even some question whether they can renew with Comcast when that contract comes up this summer.

It sounds fishy them saying they went into negotiations offering to charge less than they were currently charging, and YTTV said no.

I think the sticking point is Sinclair wanting to negotiate all of their locals along with the RSNs.

They should take a hard stand against the RSN's, and we as the customers should support it. I love sports, but the fee's they charge to watch are a big part of the reason cable and satellite prices got so damn high. This is why I ditched Direct an went with YTTV. We need to remember, the networks need us as much as we want them, and if enough providers take a hard stand, and people actually support it, we might have the chance of keeping affordable provider options such as YTTV.

Reactions: ncted and osu1991
Hope they work it out if not there will be a mass exodus without baseball this summer is my prediction. Too many other options so they really need to keep the sports nitch.

Found this:

It says ratings increased, but total viewership was flat. I assume that is because the total number of available viewers is in decline, so the percentage of people watching will go up even if the raw number of viewers does not.

I'd like to see YTTV tell Sinclair RSNs can stay, but they need to be an add-on, like premiums.

YTTV knows how many of its viewers are watching RSNs, so they probably have a decent idea what the impact would be to their customer numbers and what it is worth to them. I fully believe Sinclair got caught holding the bag with the Sports bubble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts