The YouTube TV Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I’ve done sat and cable. I left them for a reason, price.

I’m sure OTT will get to a price it isn’t worth it to me either, and if it does, I’ll cancel it. I’ll only pay so much for live tv.
The good part with most streamers so far is even if the price does get to be more than I’m willing to pay year round, I can pay for the months I need it and drop it when I don’t.
But no, I don’t see a situation where I get locked into a two year commitment for tv again unless it’s locked in for less than what I’m paying today for two years. Which I don’t see happening.

Reactions: ncted and osu1991
Yeah, it all comes down to value for me. If Satellite/Cable offered me what I need (which isn't much in the linear TV space these days), for less than a live OTT solution, I would go with them. Between the required commitment, monthly fees (including equipment fees), and the hassle of switching inputs, OTT is the clear value winner for the moment. I'd still prefer to have OTA + some skinny bundle, but despite lots of effort and expense, I have not been able to get a reliable OTA signal on all the channles I need at my location, and it has only gotten worse since the repack. I have cut bait on that idea at this point.

Yeah, it all comes down to value for me. If Satellite/Cable offered me what I need (which isn't much in the linear TV space these days), for less than a live OTT solution, I would go with them. Between the required commitment, monthly fees (including equipment fees), and the hassle of switching inputs, OTT is the clear value winner for the moment. I'd still prefer to have OTA + some skinny bundle, but despite lots of effort and expense, I have not been able to get a reliable OTA signal on all the channles I need at my location, and it has only gotten worse since the repack. I have cut bait on that idea at this point.

Yeah, I’m stuck in between two hills and about forty miles away from the closest tower which is the Huntington WV market

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

With YTTV adding the Viacom channels next month I expect an increase in price. I subscribe to both YTTV and Philo and pretty much have all the channels I want (sports, Science, History, and Smithsonian and locals) .While its not a great UI experience with either one, it’s not terrible either. I don’t like having to switch between the two to see all the channels but that’s a minor inconvenience. But as the price continues to increase each year, I am reconsidering if I should just sign up for dish tv. I had Directtv for years and loved the User Interface. Have any of you guys thought about switching back to cable/satellite? Am I just having a moment of weakness and a step away from making a terrible mistake? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Streaming is not for everyone,if you like satellite or cable you have had it before and only you know what works best for you and your family no one else.
Good Luck!

Picture quality is so much better on YouTube compared to Sat. Data Center is 10 miles away not that it matters these days on location.
They for sure made the picture better than it was a year ago.
I did a side by side compare on the same channels with Directv.

Picture quality is so much better on YouTube compared to Sat. Data Center is 10 miles away not that it matters these days on location.
They for sure made the picture better than it was a year ago.
I did a side by side compare on the same channels with Directv.

It's definitely improved in the past two years, making all channels that broadcast a 1080p signal 1080p and 60fps. Streaming with a newer device can help too. Because of the better quality, I used to use OTA for major sporting events, like the Super Bowl. But now I don't really see as much of a difference anymore and I prefer to have the ability YTTV gives me to pause/rewind/etc. while watching live sports.

We cancelled Dish a few months ago as we sold our house and moved cross county and we've been in an apartment for a few months before buying a new house. We close on our new house next week. We forced ourselves to use YTTV to make ourselves get used it it while we've been in the apartment. We now have to decide whether to go back to Dish. So to the question of moving to Dish, here's our FWIW pros and cons.

Background: I've had either Directv or Dish as my primary TV source since 1995. I much prefer the Dish system and interface over Directv (but that's another thread!) We VERY much liked Dish. The DVR system is the best we've ever used. The ability to use unlimited external USB hard drives meant unlimited storage and you can keep it as long as you like. The user interface is excellent. The guide is very good and easy to use. PQ is quite good. Netflix is built in and one button push on the remote, and doing a search can also include Netfix if you choose that option. We had a Hopper 3 and two Joeys (den, bedroom, and sunroom.) Had we not had to move cross country we would have never cancelled Dish.

The negatives. Not a lot. You have to have a house with a clear view for the dish. Once you have the house wired for the hardware, it's challenging to change rooms or locations in the room for the hardware (they have a wireless Joey, but unless something has changed its slower than the normal ones.) Rain fade, though that very rarely was an issue. Compared to YTTV, the UI, the guide, the DVR system, everything is a level (and in some cases, many levels) above YTTV. So, why do we even hesitate on going back to Dish?

One, price. We paid for a high level package, because it was required to get all of the channels we watched. Our two year contract price was about $130 per month, including the hardware costs and the programming. That's the "intro" price but I've never had a problem as we got to the end of the two year contract calling and getting them to renew me at that price. So, for YTTV and Philo, which we have to get to get the channels we watch regularly, it's $130 vs. about $70. Frankly, for us, sixty dollars in itself is not a huge decision maker.

Two: Dish has a reputation - actually, the owner of Dish, Charlie - for loving a fight. He's loves proving he's tougher than the channel providers. So at least once or twice a year we'd lose a network channel or two for about 2 to 4 weeks. That's a pain in the rear. Dish aficionados in the forums say "don't give in! The providers are greedy! Keep our price down!" but prices do keep going up. Every cable and sat provider goes through these disputes but Dish, more than any other, loves to prove how tough they are. So they end up losing channels. We used to subscribe to HBO within Dish - no longer available. I watched our MLB team and other sports on the regional sports networks: Charlie dropped them to prove he had more power than they do. That as much as anything may be the reason we don't go back to Dish.

As for our take on YTTV after a few months: I'm sorry, but the UI just stinks compared to the better UIs out there. Maybe part of it is still learning, but with Dish, for example, I don't have to go on a forum to figure out things like how do I see the original air date of a recorded program? How do I simply look at the info of a program I'm looking at in the guide? How do I get back to my program in one button push when I take a quick look at other recorded programs? How do I browse the guide on TV beyond a few hours? I've never in all my years, going back decades, with Sat, Cable, etc. seen a worse guide than the YTTV. Even 25 years ago the guides were MUCH better and more useful. In just about every way, the UI of YTTV is awkward and clumsy.

So why would we even consider keeping YTTV? One, and it may be how young they are, they don't seem to drop channels as easily as Dish when it comes to channel disputes. Two, the flexibility of being able to put a TV anywhere in the house, at any time and use YTTV is a real positive. Price so far is good. No contract, so no big risk, I can cancel at any time.

And that's about it. In spite of it sounding overwhelmingly in favor of Dish, we're 50/50 on going back to Dish vs. staying with YTTV. We close and move in next week and for now we'll just stay with YTTV and then decide when we get the move and other moving issues taken care of. My wife and I have been discussing this a lot recently which is why this is pretty fresh on my mind. If YTTV would move to a MUCH better interface we'd easily stay with YTTV, that would be a tipping point. But good grief is it clumsy and awkward and require a LOT more button pushes than a state of the art interface. Including the DVR.

FWIW

If YTTV would move to a MUCH better interface we'd easily stay with YTTV, that would be a tipping point. But good grief is it clumsy and awkward and require a LOT more button pushes than a state of the art interface. Including the DVR.
I wouldn't hold my breath or base any decisions on YTTV's UI changing in any substantial way. It's been this way for three-plus years, and any improvements have been incremental, leaving the core framework and functionality intact—the clumsiness requiring so many button presses. This service and all others like it are fundamentally limited by the half-dozen or so buttons on streaming device remotes. For me personally, a more convenient, smoother UI isn't worth paying an extra $70-$80/mo. And after all this time, I've gotten used to it and don't think about it any more than I do about the idiosyncrasies of Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO Now, etc.

How do I get back to my program in one button push when I take a quick look at other recorded programs?
Double tap the play/pause button.

How do I browse the guide on TV beyond a few hours?

I'm not sure why it's still so limited on TV-connected streaming devices. On PC, you can scan ahead at least one week.

Reactions: ncted and osu1991
I wouldn't hold my breath or base any decisions on YTTV's UI changing in any substantial way. It's been this way for three-plus years, and any improvements have been incremental, leaving the core framework and functionality intact—the clumsiness requiring so many button presses. This service and all others like it are fundamentally limited by the half-dozen or so buttons on streaming device remotes. For me personally, a more convenient, smoother UI isn't worth paying an extra $70-$80/mo. And after all this time, I've gotten used to it and don't think about it any more than I do about the idiosyncrasies of Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO Now, etc.

Double tap the play/pause button.

I'm not sure why it's still so limited on TV-connected streaming devices. On PC, you can scan ahead at least one week.

Thanks for the double tap tip.

My perception is that the dev team doing YTTV is basically just taking their Youtube UI and approach and trying to make it work for TV, rather than designing an interface for people who would like to use this in the place of cable or satellite. It's a shame, because I know quite a few people wanting an alternative to cable or Sat who have tried and bounced off of YTTV. Their response when I ask is almost always the same: the interface. It's hard to believe with the resources they have they couldn't do a major upgrade.

My perception is that the dev team doing YTTV is basically just taking their Youtube UI and approach and trying to make it work for TV, rather than designing an interface for people who would like to use this in the place of cable or satellite. It's a shame, because I know quite a few people wanting an alternative to cable or Sat who have tried and bounced off of YTTV. Their response when I ask is almost always the same: the interface. It's hard to believe with the resources they have they couldn't do a major upgrade.

In a lot of ways, I liked Sling's UI better than YTTV. If I could get OTA locals, I would probably have Sling, both for the lower price and the interface. Hulu also has the appeal of combining the DVR and on-demand content in one interface, but it is a hot mess otherwise. That said, if people invest the time, they can get used to anything.

Reactions: Zookster

YouTube TV was originally designed as a mobile device only service. I've heard a lot of complaints about Hulu Live TV's interface, in terms of being a dealbreaker, but rarely YTTV's. At the end of the day, all these streaming services will have their quirks and limitations due to their very nature as one app among thousands using the same device remote, and then having to be replicated across various other devices, including web browser and phone. In some ways it's amazing how close they have come to the cable/sat TV experience. IIRC, Sling didn't even have a guide when it launched.

Reactions: osu1991
The Viacom channels are now live. Yay. But YouTube TV just announced a price increase to $64.99, effective immediately for new subs, and July 30 for current subs. Boo!

• Angry
Reactions: Howard Simmons
I watch only sports. Almost 70/month to watch live sports. I have been with YUTV for more than 3 years & I really like their service. I am not seeing any other alternative, so I may continue with YUTV. No plan go back to cable/Satellite for sure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts