The YouTube TV Thread

Finally a bit of good news: FF/RW progressive scan is back on both my 2016 Rokus. For the past several months, it would only slowly skip ahead in 15-second increments when I pressed and held down FF/RW. My older Roku Ultra and Premiere+ are slower in loading YTTV, but I prefer the Rokus over my 4K FireTV stick for other apps I use.

Reactions: ncted
Sure - they’re indexed in season and episode order.

For what it’s worth, I prefer the way the library gets built because it matches the content catalogs of services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Peacock, CBS:AA, etc.

Outside of news and sporting events, I don’t care what specific date things are recorded - I just want to know the chronological order of the series, and that’s how YTTV presents it.

Well, that's the point. You like it the way it is, others who have been used to services where you have options on sorting prefer it otherwise for legitimate reasons. Just give us the option. I absolutely don't want to force "my way" on others, I just want options since not everyone is the same. Some people really like setting something like, say, Law and Order SVU to record and then having every rerun show up in their library, some people like that once an episode is watched it's still shown in the show's library, others prefer being able to set "only new" and "Hide watched episodes." Since they have the markers on everything, it would be a pretty simple programming task to add these types of options.

Here's an odd issue/question: I'm watching the NHL playoffs on YTTV. Watching on a Sony 950H with very good motion handling (and I've messed with the motion controls on it to see if it is the TV - it apparently isn't.) There's quite a bit of jerkiness here and there when the game is full speed (i.e.not slow motion replays.) I've got 1 gig internet, TV is connected via ethernet, speed checked is 940 Mbps, so it's not internet speed. Then I tried the test of using an OTA (I can get the NBC channel the game is on via OTA) and the game is much smoother on the OTA feed.

Is the YTTV feed just not fast enough to give us a smooth high speed sports game like NHL hockey?

Is the YTTV feed just not fast enough to give us a smooth high speed sports game like NHL hockey?

It may be the uplink from wherever YTTV is getting the local broadcast. We were watching on NBCSN, and that game was fine. I don’t recall the issue on any sports with YTTV, but I don’t watch much sports on local channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's an odd issue/question: I'm watching the NHL playoffs on YTTV. Watching on a Sony 950H with very good motion handling (and I've messed with the motion controls on it to see if it is the TV - it apparently isn't.) There's quite a bit of jerkiness here and there when the game is full speed (i.e.not slow motion replays.) I've got 1 gig internet, TV is connected via ethernet, speed checked is 940 Mbps, so it's not internet speed. Then I tried the test of using an OTA (I can get the NBC channel the game is on via OTA) and the game is much smoother on the OTA feed.

What does it say the rez is under stats for nerds?

Nevermind looks like the game is over unless you recorded it.

I see occasional jerkiness on news scrolls on our local NBC station. Depending on how the transcoders are tuned, it is possible for the picture to look generally good, but not have smooth playback of fast motion. My guess is the problem is the "uplink from the station, like Bilbo1 suggested.

It seems to be related to the video processing they do to de-interlace the picture. Since the NBC networks are all 1080i, they need to apply image processing to turn 60 half-frames per second into 60 full frames per second. For the in-arena still photographers, they have radio transmitters on their cameras that trigger overhead flash lighting in the arena. The sudden flash seems to really throw off the motion-adaptive de-interlacing algorithm that YoutubeTV uses, and it will create a stutter in the video.

At first it seems really weird that it would mostly stutter right when teams were taking shots or they were about to score, but that's when the photographers are trying to grab "the shot."

For the regular season games on the FOX RSNs, there is no stutter because the native feed is 720p60 so the motion-adaptive de-interlacing algorithm doesn't come into play.

There are only 2 major services that I've tried that don't have this issue: NHL.tv and ATT TV (regular or NOW).

Reactions: docdaddy

I have had occassional times where the picture was choppy or less than HD quality, but for the most part it has been fairly smooth.

I have had occassional times where the picture was choppy or less than HD quality, but for the most part it has been fairly smooth.

I usually don't have the problem with MOST programs on YTTV just the hockey. We do have the random lip sync issues that can occur on any show or recording, and no changing channels or shows will fix it. Drives us both crazy. And seems really random, though it was on every VOD recording of the last 5 episodes of Zooey's amazing playlist.

I usually don't have the problem with MOST programs on YTTV just the hockey. We do have the random lip sync issues that can occur on any show or recording, and no changing channels or shows will fix it. Drives us both crazy. And seems really random, though it was on every VOD recording of the last 5 episodes of Zooey's amazing playlist.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a fact of life with streaming. I see it occasionally on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBOMax, etc. Of course, I also saw it on Dish and DirecTV about as often. Pretty much ever since mpeg4 became a thing.

NFL Network added to base packages today.

Sports add on tier created for $10.99 which Includes: NFL RedZone, Fox College Sports, GolTV, Fox Soccer Plus, MAVTV Motorsports Network, TVG, and Stadium

NFL Network added to base packages today.

Sports add on tier created for $10.99 which Includes: NFL RedZone, Fox College Sports, GolTV, Fox Soccer Plus, MAVTV Motorsports Network, TVG, and Stadium

Nice addition to the base package. Wonder if they will move any other sports channels to the tier when they are able to in the future.

This had better not result in another price hike. At $65/month, I am pretty much at my limit.

I have been stocking up on Google Play gift cards using my 5% back from my Amazon Credit Card ( buying tons of stuff for the new house ), roughly about $700 worth, so YTTV is paid for a year.

If I did not have that option, I would do my best to convince my wife to switch to Spectrum’s pick 10 channels package which includes locals, total costs a tad over $40 a month with the fees.

I have been stocking up on Google Play gift cards using my 5% back from my Amazon Credit Card ( buying tons of stuff for the new house ), roughly about $700 worth, so YTTV is paid for a year.

If I did not have that option, I would do my best to convince my wife to switch to Spectrum’s pick 10 channels package which includes locals, total costs a tad over $40 a month with the fees.

I get Google Play gift cards from Target at 5% off with my Red Card discount. Sometimes there are promotions where I get a $5 or $10 Target gift card when I purchase Play cards as well. Even then, the 5% doesn't cover the NC tax on the service.

I get Google Play gift cards from Target at 5% off with my Red Card discount. Sometimes there are promotions where I get a $5 or $10 Target gift card when I purchase Play cards as well. Even then, the 5% doesn't cover the NC tax on the service.
I don't have tax, and I'm by no means well off, but for me 5% off isn't worth all the hassle of making sure I'm regularly buying Google Play cards and then loading them onto my account. I do however use my credit card rewards points to buy Google Play cards whenever my credit card company puts them on sale for 10% off. By doing that I effectively get a free month of the service every now and then.

I don't have tax, and I'm by no means well off, but for me 5% off isn't worth all the hassle of making sure I'm regularly buying Google Play cards and then loading them onto my account. I do however use my credit card rewards points to buy Google Play cards whenever my credit card company puts them on sale for 10% off. By doing that I effectively get a free month of the service every now and then.

I also get Hulu, Netflix, Apple, AT&T Prepaid, etc. cards this way. Google's are one of the easiest to deal with. E-mail delivery and a single click to add it to your account make it very easy. I also subscribe to YouTube Premium (which includes YouTube Music Premium), so I am paying for all my Google services this way.

Reactions: Zookster
I also get Hulu, Netflix, Apple, AT&T Prepaid, etc. cards this way. Google's are one of the easiest to deal with. E-mail delivery and a single click to add it to your account make it very easy. I also subscribe to YouTube Premium (which includes YouTube Music Premium), so I am paying for all my Google services this way.
E-delivery and one-click to add to your account does sound pretty good. My credit card company rewards program still mails out an actual gift card. I'm waiting on one ordered Aug. 21, mailed out Aug. 26. Thank you Postmaster General for the wonderful changes you've made to the USPS! :rolleyes:

Reactions: ncted