There is a new proposed bill that would allow you get next door TV markets on Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Harshness,

I personly don't like NAB, that restrict our free flow of informations, and I think spot beam can get better IMHO.

Any spot beams is spilling over like here in Albuquerque TV market, if the signal strenth is strong enough or sometime 2 or 3 TV markets can share the spotbeam with it, and besides the reality nowdays so they can be done don't to need to changes anything with the spotbeams if when the the new bill passed.:)

And I think most of TV viewers are getting tired of big boy NAB saying what we can or can't watch next door TV market by watching local news from other citys and back up programings in case our local Albuquerque station don't carry the network shows for some reasons.

Want to get DVR? No thanks don't need one more box just use good old DBS or cable box recevier.

TV broadcasters will have to live in brave new world, just like AM radio did survive the TV and FM was added at that time.

8-12-07

I agree entirerly,
The NAB needs to be adressed and change some of their long time outdated rules.
This is just another thing that Cable gets that DBS doesn't do to unfair rules and regulations.
I also think it's time to look into the cable R &R and open up the same oppertunities for DBS, Sat is no longer a possibility for most people they are established and need to have fair regulations, I could understand these differences when DBS was just starting out, but that is no longer the case.

Jimbo

I agree ,I think if cable has the right to show NY and Philly locals in my area. Then The Satellite company should be aloud to provide me with the same services. This law they have now is unfair, IMO. They should let the people have what they want.

I'm in a suburb roughly ten miles from Detroit. I'd like to also have Toledo, Ohio stations. When I had cable in the 1980s, under a different name prior to it being purchased by Comcast, there was a time when I got not only Detroit but a few select stations in the Toledo market. I'd love to have both markets. Hell, I would love to have PBS stations not only from Detroit and not only from Toledo but also Flint and Lansing.

I live 15 miles as the crow flies from the line that seperates the St. Louis markets and the Columbia/Jefferson city market. In my case, I'm in the Columbia DMA. I'd love to get the St. Louis stations from satellite. I feel strongly enough about this that I already e-mailed my congressman, but it might carry more weight to write a letter which I will probably end up doing.

This will be great if is happens. I only live like 10 miles from the border between the Tampa Bay and Fort Myers/Naples markets. I currently receive the Tampa locals but I do miss the fort myers locals that I used to get on comcast cable.

I think this has ALWAYS been just neighboring markets, possibly determined by D*.
Don't confuse significantly viewed with DMA. D*'s DMA was chosen from a series of DMAs as established by Nielsen Research.
You would not be able to get just ANY market.
With the current spotbeam configuration, some DMAs aren't fully covered. Coverage of nearby areas is not only difficult, it may be impossible.
Being in Ohio, I would not be able to ask for a Texas market, I am sure this would be specified by D* what would be available.
What you can get has never been up to D*. It was, is and always will be up to the FCC.
The NAB should have NOTHING to worry about, as long as they already have the subs locals available.
The NAB is all about keeping you within your DMA. Thus far, the FCC has pretty much gone along with them. They don't want people in Dayton to be watching the Cincy stations to the exclusion of the Dayton channels. Whether you like the NAB or not, the FCC seems quite compelled by their arguments.

Don't confuse significantly viewed with DMA. D*'s DMA was chosen from a series of DMAs as established by Nielsen Research.With the current spotbeam configuration, some DMAs aren't fully covered. Coverage of nearby areas is not only difficult, it may be impossible.What you can get has never been up to D*. It was, is and always will be up to the FCC.The NAB is all about keeping you within your DMA. Thus far, the FCC has pretty much gone along with them. They don't want people in Dayton to be watching the Cincy stations to the exclusion of the Dayton channels. Whether you like the NAB or not, the FCC seems quite compelled by their arguments.

I know it's rare, but here in the Hartford market, we have been getting NY channels for quite a while. I get CBS, NBC, and Fox. Other counties get other channels. If you are in eastern CT, you get either Providence or Boston stations.

I thought After the new Satellite launches happend locals weren't going to be spot beamed anymore? Or is that just for the RSN's?

Last edited:
I thought After the new Satellite launches happend locals weren't going to be spot beamed anymore? Or it that just for the RSN's?

Nope, just the RSN's. They need to do the RSN's as CONUS so the MLB/NBA packages can get all the HD games out to all the subscribers, no more of this channel 94/95/98 garbage.

H.R. 2821, The Television Freedom Act of 2007

Please contact your congressmen in regards to supporting this bill. Other than protecting your local stations, which use the public airways, I see no reason the public should not be able to view the station offering the product they want to watch at the time they want to watch it. A large number of people have a valid interest in the news of an area other than the DMA their receiver happens to be located in.

Why should I not be able to pay for and watch a station located in a remote market. If the remote station received a percentage of the subscription fee, this would open a new revenue source to them and provide an incentive for all stations to attempt to offer shows people wanted to watch.

I know the local stations will oppose this bill with vigor, however, they should not be allowed to stand in the way of technology advancements which provide us all with more choices. It is just a matter of time until the internet will allow us to stream a remote station to out flat screens anyway.

If a local station has paid for a program and has local rights to it, let them require the carrier to black out any other station offering that program during the time they are showing the program.

So the HD rsn will be on their normal channel?

Probably since that's what they do now. They'd probably also mirror it on the 700 range for the MLB-EI and NBA-LP packages so they can do the blackouts on the RSN's for the folks that shouldn't see the games.

Hopefully one day it will happen, The geek in me would love to watch news and stuff from other areas....This is a diffrent topic, but it would be great if we had access to the National feeds from New York and LA

I thought After the new Satellite launches happend locals weren't going to be spot beamed anymore? Or is that just for the RSN's?
When the satellite build-up is complete, D* will have dozens of spotbeams. Having lots of spotbeams helps somewhat to thwart the would be "movers" and I don't think they'll change their minds on that front.

It remains to be seen which RSNs move to CONUS but many have spent the last year or so speculating that they would be needed to keep the sports junkies hooked.

If a local station has paid for a program and has local rights to it, let them require the carrier to black out any other station offering that program during the time they are showing the program.
Given DIRECTV's track record with sports blackouts, do you really think that they (or anyone else) could pull it off with LIL?

The scale of such an endeavor would be enormous. Every market's channels would have to be cross-checked against the alternate market for every program for every subscriber at least once every half hour.

It isn't going to happen.

It will happens, as we tweak out programings blackouts by mastering the art on the Directv , Dish and cable computer systems.

One way or other, It will be open to everyones if they want to see next door TV markets if this bill passed.:)

Harshness,

Your thinking that broadcaster will not change under this current broadcast system for 60 years is about to changes for the better, and besides TV broadcasters owners will have to learn the new way how to compete with next door TV market in better programs and better picture quality.

So opening up means more channels for TV viewers is good IMHO!:):hungry:

8-13-07

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)