There WAS a 721 upgrade last night

I assume this SBC is SBC Communications, formerly known as Southwestern Bell, the RBOC that bought up PacTel, Ameritech, and SNET. Like AT&T, officially the SBC name is not an acronym anymore.

Scott, maybe you should move this thread to the "Got a Gripe" Section. :idea:

Man oh Man, don't shoot the messenger here guys. :shock:

Im use to it. I am really not trying to defend the Dish guys, its just I get to see whats going on a bit more behind the curtain. :)

My clothes are flame retardent. :D

jssat said:
Scott, maybe you should move this thread to the "Got a Gripe" Section. :idea:

Man oh Man, don't shoot the messenger here guys. :shock:

My comments aren't against Scott, quite the contrary. I know that Dish employees read this and I also think Scott is a voice of the community when it comes to Dish and I think we all appreciate this very much, I know I do!

Dish Network developed the DVR's on their own so that they would not have to charge a fee and now that they are, they should have something to show for it just like Tivo does (with such things as reliable software and name based recordings). Perhaps they decided to not pay for the copyright/patent because that would defeat their purpose in why they started making the DVR's on their own, to not have to pay anyone such fees themselves (even though they are making us pay these fees now on the newer DVR's).

When it comes to the software upgrade, I think of it this way, would there be as many people upset and would people be as upset as they are now if there was no announcement of software that is going to be released? I know there wouldn't be. I am not saying this makes it ok for Dish to continue promising a date. I am guessing that Dish is waiting until the last moment to release this software in the 721 receivers to have it in time for the release of the locals and HD channels when SuperDish comes out.

Does it make a difference?

Let's just say that, if DTivo had a dual tuner receiver out when I was looking at the 721, I'd not have purchased the 721. Especially after having dealt with one return already, and countless hours of what can only be explained as "extremely poor and inept technical support". The product itself is bad, whether it's the minority or not. When updates have been made (which Dish never seemed to admit was coming, all the time), the updates would break something else, it not more.

Scott has seen the update. Actually, the update was expected updates ago. And, like others, I feel sorry for Scott for being so cheerful amidst all the rumblings of obviously disgruntled customers like myself. I don't have a grudge against Scott, only against Dish. Dish doesn't care about their customers, and that's a plain and simple fact. They don't focus on keeping current customers happy, only on gathering new customers.

The 721 is a high priced throw-away product. Funny how, when I was looking for a PVR (having checked out the competition), the 721 seemed so new, so advanced, dual tuner and all. And yet older equipment like the ReplayTV seem to work a lot better from some peoples posts. And, getting back to the throw-away concept, that held true for a Mitsubishi VCR (what I thought was close to the high end). About 18 months in, the VCR took a crapper. Mitsubishi has this thing with repair shops, you can't call for parts. You can only order, or converse with them, via FAX. After three months of trying to get it fixed, the part ended up no longer being available. Now it fills a landfill somewhere.

The way Dish keeps the 721 current and its customers happy, I'm expecting the same for it, and the not so soon to be released 921.

721 pales in comparison to any other PVR.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Man those are three words that make the techs at Dish cringe. :)

Here is one more word that should make them cringe: DirecTivo.

Scott, since you are so in love with the 721, would you be interested in buying mine? My one-year contract with Dish is up this month. By coincidence, DirecTV will be offering a 35-hour DirecTiVo for $100 later this month.

I paid something like $500, but I might sell it for $250 plus shipping. Any takers?

Re: 721 pales in comparison to any other PVR.

BrianBock said:
I paid something like $500 (for my 721), but I might sell it for $250 plus shipping. Any takers?

Brian,

You might want to sell it on eBay. Lately, they have been selling for between $450 and $500.

Dang, if they are going for that much money then heck, I might sell mine for that on ebay. What are the 508's new going for?

re: name-based recording
Scott Greczkowski said:
Man those are three words that make the techs at Dish cringe. :)

I really wish I knew the full story of why they can't do that, I know its legal reasons.

I have been told by a few that in the lab they wrote name based stuff and have it working well. Now only if this legal crap was out of the way....

I want it too! :D

I wonder if Scientific Atlanta is paying royalties/licensing to do their named based recording? (See link to other forum)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)