They absolutly won't authorize my 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Well I got my 622 Friday, hooked it up yesterday and after switch checks & downloads, it finially comes up with the "unit needs to be authorized" screen. Apparently there's no way to get out of that screen. I was hoping to at least see the Demo channel and look over the various menus but no dice.

So I called Dish, went to advanced tech and was told no authorization untill installer comes out next week. There was absolutly no talking her into it. I made 4 more calls, each with a different CSR and all the same results. I even said to go ahead and cancel the install but that no longer works either because that generates a "pickup" notice for the 622 and they send you an empty box to send it back in. All 4 CSRs said the same thing and will not budge. I even told one I was going to to cancel my whole account and to switch me to retention. After 10 minutes on hold, I hung up.

This whole thing is so stupid, I can't stand it. Hooking up the 622 was just a matter of putting it where the 942 came out of. It's was so simple, one of my kids could have done it. In fact the kids were excited because they're going to get the 942 in the family room. But now we're all on hold until next week unless I can figure out a way around this.

They do that due to needing either 61.5 or 129 orbital locations added before activating. They now show what setup you should have and want to make sure you are getting all the programing you are entitled to. It may sound stupid, but their thinking is they don't want calls from cutomers about not seeing programing they are paying for. The installer calls a different activation department than consumers do and they make sure they know who the installer is and verify you current configuration.

garys said:
They do that due to needing either 61.5 or 129 orbital locations added before activating. They now show what setup you should have and want to make sure you are getting all the programing you are entitled to. It may sound stupid, but their thinking is they don't want calls from cutomers about not seeing programing they are paying for. The installer calls a different activation department than consumers do and they make sure they know who the installer is and verify you current configuration.

Been through all this with them. I've had the Dish 500 + another dish pointed at 61.5 for years and Dish knows it. Hell, they've shown CBS-HD on my account for 2 years. What's so frustrating is I actually taught the installers they've got coming. I was their first HD install 2 years ago and they didn't have a clue and admitted it. I did the install and they called in and aurhorized it. Now I have to wait until they come next week to get this friggen 622 authorized.

Between all these type stories...knowing that waiting for the April Fools rebate means I lay out $299 on 4/1 only to get one in May or June and no rebate before then...and being less than impressed with the 622 bugs (or the new content for that matter) that I've seen since my brother got his...I think I'm dropping out of the 622 chase and sticking with my 942 that is working nicely (knocking on wood) and the now defunct less-expensive HD pack. At least until something worthwhile gets added to the HD pack.

There is one very good reason for this procedure and its that the majority of people who have any kind of pay tv service have no idea as to how it works even in theyr own home so as to avoid any possibility of voiding the warranty a tech must come out and atleast verify satellite reception and integrated equipment. If you put it in wrong and it gets damaged because you screwed up and hooked up your amped antennae line by mistake to the wrong port and you blow it up then your out of how ever much money you spent to get the thing, atleast if the tech does it wrong then the receiver is warranted.

waltinvt said:
Been through all this with them. I've had the Dish 500 + another dish pointed at 61.5 for years and Dish knows it. Hell, they've shown CBS-HD on my account for 2 years. What's so frustrating is I actually taught the installers they've got coming. I was their first HD install 2 years ago and they didn't have a clue and admitted it. I did the install and they called in and aurhorized it. Now I have to wait until they come next week to get this friggen 622 authorized.

E* seems to be in a verify everything mode as of late. Probably due to so many customers not knowing what their setup is and/or people trying to get stuff they are not entitled to. E*'s way to buckle down and give customers only what they are supposed to have. When I got my 622, local dealer had to answer several questions about my setup. I had mover shortly before the upgrade and my records were really screwed up.

Walt,

Just call your installers up and explain to the guy the situation and see if they would be willing to stop by and make the phone call for you. If they know you and you know them, it shouldn't be a problem. They only lose a few minutes of their time, but still get paid for an install, and you get your 622 activated. Everybody wins.

They need to change with 4/1 coming!

garys said:
E* seems to be in a verify everything mode as of late. Probably due to so many customers not knowing what their setup is and/or people trying to get stuff they are not entitled to. E*'s way to buckle down and give customers only what they are supposed to have. When I got my 622, local dealer had to answer several questions about my setup. I had mover shortly before the upgrade and my records were really screwed up.

Many moons ago on a Charlie chat there was a mention of possibly sending 622s to 921/942 owners for self install for the after 4/1 deal. I have not seen or heard anything else since. BUT they need to change their attitude on this quickly. Most owners of 942s and especially 921 owners know what they have and it's a simple swap.
I think I am going to email my thoughts on this to the CEO office so maybe something can be changed on this prior to 4/1. I encourage anyone who is going to upgrade a 921/942 to a 622 also do the same.
Gerry

Stacy A said:
Walt,

Just call your installers up and explain to the guy the situation and see if they would be willing to stop by and make the phone call for you. If they know you and you know them, it shouldn't be a problem. They only lose a few minutes of their time, but still get paid for an install, and you get your 622 activated. Everybody wins.

That's exactly what I did. He was able to call from his office and then I was good to go. In fact, even though the work order is now closed out, he's still stopping by next week to run a 2nd line to where my 942's going and possibly replace my DP-34 switch.

It's nice to have some "good" installer things to post. If you're in Vt or upstate NY, the Prime Service Center in Williston, Vt is a good bunch and will go that extra mile for the customer.

ggw2000 said:
Many moons ago on a Charlie chat there was a mention of possibly sending 622s to 921/942 owners for self install for the after 4/1 deal. I have not seen or heard anything else since. BUT they need to change their attitude on this quickly. Most owners of 942s and especially 921 owners know what they have and it's a simple swap.
I think I am going to email my thoughts on this to the CEO office so maybe something can be changed on this prior to 4/1. I encourage anyone who is going to upgrade a 921/942 to a 622 also do the same.
Gerry

Don't I know it. I always go through my local retailer. I picked up my 622 and installed it myself. He called to activate it. Went real smooth and no hassles.

i had a 721, my 622 came, i switched it out (already had 110, 119, and 61.5) all checks went well, called E* to activate, went to the tech support dept. and they activated it without any issues..

I must have just been having an unlucky day with CSRs. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

By the way, after he got it activated it came right up with all the new channels. I never had to call Dish and switch from AEP to the HD Platinum or anything and as of last night there was no change to my account.

I want to replace one of my 921’s with a purchased 622 then do the upgrade for the other 921 after April 1. I already have the HD package but my locals are on 105 so I have the super dish and will have to get a 61.5 dish and DPP 44 switches with the upgrade. Will I have any problem getting Dish to activate the 622 while waiting for the upgrade?

Earl

Earl,
I really don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer. For example, you could call Dish and ask them....the CSR or HD Tech tell you, sure we can activate it, just call us once you get it. Then, call back to activate it, and the CSR or HD Tech tell you it can't be activated until the work order is completed and closed out.
Then, you could call back the next day, and another CSR or HD Tech activate your machine.
Presently, it does not appear everyone at Dish is on the same page on this policy, or if in fact, and firm policy actually exists.

kdg454 said:
<snip>.....Presently, it does not appear everyone at Dish is on the same page on this policy, or if in fact, any firm policy actually exists.

Surely you jest?:D

It is interesting that when I ordered the 942 a year ago they sent it to me for self install. I did and got authorized with no problem. In a few months, the box turned out to be bad and had to be replaced. They sent me a new on and againa self intall and also self authorized. No problem. I ahve a superdish and a dish pointed to 61.5. So from what I read, I will have to go backwards and wait for an installer to do what I have been able to do easily myself.

Well I finally got my 622 activated; Dish really needs a better computer system. I just wanted to replace a receiver not do any upgrade at this time. My saga started this morning when I replaced one of my 921 receivers with the 622 I purchased from a retailer. I went through all the checks and got to the activation screen with out any problems, and then the fun started. The Dish computer system will not activate the 622 receiver without charging for the upgrade to the Dish 1000. I went through 2 supervisors before I finally got one that could figure out how to get it activated, then I was told I could only have one 622 on my account and I wouldn’t be able to get the upgrade in April. I finally got them to agree that I although I can only have one leased 622 with the upgrade I could add as many 622’s as I wanted if I purchased them. I will have to pay a $6 enabling fee till I get the upgrade after April 1st.

Earl