They win. I give up.

BxngBlnd

Original poster
May 17, 2006
Redlands
My wife is a French and Portuguese teacher and she wanted to get French Programming. So we switched over to Dish Network after 2 years of Direct TV. We signed up for HDTV, Local channels, Platinum package and a French package. They sent us only one satellite and our international channels never showed up. I called Dish Tv and they sent us another satellite so now we have a 1000 and a 500. Since then we've had installers come to our house 7 times and tell us that they were out of 44 swicthes. I've called Dish Network and talked to their Executive branch 4 times and they always tell me that they will send us a switch in a specific date but all four times, nothing showed up.

It's been 3 months, 14 calls, and still nothing. I just found out that the 44 switches cost 200 dollars and I've had one of the techs tell me that Dish TV is just being stingy, which really sucks if it is true. I feel so screwed by Dish Network so far and stupid because I changed over to Dish from DirectTV without my wife knowing(it was a surprise for her on the day she started to teach French). The service has been great other than the 44 switch fiasco. Kurt at the Executive offices told us that we were on a waiting list last month and we called to check up on progress today and aparently there is no list.

We tried to cancel but we'd get no refund for the 299 lease fee so now we'd loose that money if we switched back. If anyone can offer some advice, i'd really apreciate it. I wanna keep Dish Network but I don't know what to do to get a 44 switch. I apologize for the long and negative post. thanks.

Jeorge

Welcome to satguys :) you could allways buy it from ebay.... or dishstore.net.. if it comes down to it.. i would keep bugging dish or ask them if i bought it if they could reimburse me for it as programming credits.. Im sure some one will chime in on how they have gotten there situation resolved. DPP 44 switches are in high demand right now ;)

i went through a dpp44 fiasco as well
at the time i needed 3 dpp44's
bartered a deal with dish i buy 2 at 212 a piece and they gave me the third for free
keep at it, when i went through this i spent 7+ hours on the phone with dish that day

good luck
they are stingy sob's

With Dish, sometime you just need to be persistent. I had once to email ceo@dishnetwork.com to resolve some customer service issues. You case is a typical situation as one who wrote the order has no knowledge about your service requirement (as far as hardware goes), and put in some bad information. The most of others just read off whatever was on your account, never both to do a detailed work. With Dish, once every so often, you will get to someone who is knowledge and willing to go extra miles to make sure everything gets right. I have been on both end of this spectrum so far........

BxngBlnd said:
I called Dish Tv and they sent us another satellite so now we have a 1000 and a 500. Since then we've had installers come to our house 7 times and tell us that they were out of 44 swicthes. I've called Dish Network and talked to their Executive branch 4 times and they always tell me that they will send us a switch in a specific date but all four times, nothing showed up.

Jeorge

Jeorge,

Satellites cost tens of Millions of Dollars, but the reception of that those Satellites' signal from orbit is received by a Small Satellite DISH.

You need a SuperDish to receive International Channels NOT a Dish 1000 or a Dish 500. If you just need International and a Core Programing package then a SuperDish is all you need as well as a DP34 not a DPP44 switch. If you also want HD service then YES you do need Two Dish's and a DPP44 but one of the those Dish's MIGHT have to be a SuperDish.

The Satellite that sends the signal carrying Internationals is a FSS satellite so ONLY a SuperDish will work.

John

John

Last edited:
BxngBlnd said:
It's been 3 months, 14 calls, and still nothing. I just found out that the 44 switches cost 200 dollars

Check out Ebay, an SW44 costs as low as $32 for "buy it now", plus $13 shipping. If I were you, I would rather have eaten the cost of the SW44, bought it from Ebay, and got this thing over with, instead of spending 3 months arguing with Dish Network over the phone...

You have been paying for the French package for 3 months but you still haven't received the signals? Which package are you paying for?

If it's TV5/Trace TV (at $11.99/month), you are already out $35.97

If it's the Franco/African Bouquet (at $29.99/month), you are already out $89.97.

OMG. I am SO glad I got D*. They have GIVEN me more equipment than I can use.I would be so mad if they did this to me. I would be on the phone everyday until they had someone out to fix the problem. No matter how many times that is! And I would demand refunds for all the programing you have missed so far.

First off let me just say that the people in this forum are awesome!:up :up I really appreciate all the help and many of the answers have brought up possible solutions.

If the DPP44 switches are in high demand, then that could explain the delays. I never thought about buying from ebay but it is WAY cheaper there and I'll probably just do that as I am not trying to go on a crusade for the switch (Just wanna look like I knew what i was doing in front of the Wife and get her the international stuff :D ). So thanks for the heads up on the ebay Goaliebob and Rangers.

Hzhao, i might email dish there if i can't get it sorted out somehow. I gives me hope that you got stuff done by doing that. When we got our HD DVR receiver it had serious issues. One call and an awesome Customer Rep solved our problem and send us another after only 20 minutes of trouble shooting. I've also had both the good Dish and the bad Dish experience so i know what you mean.

Rangers, they were cool and refunded me all of the charges for the programming we couldn't use. Didn't have to argue, they just did it quick on request which was nice. We have ( Had i guess) the TV5/3A TELE SUD 19.99 package plus one Portuguese RTPi 4.99 package.

One thing that made me wonder was JohnL's post about needing a super dish. We do have the HD Package, local package, the 99.99 platinum and would like the internationals too. I know we seem spoiled but we actually save money by not renting or going out to movies and having these packages. Plus me and my wife are both soccer addicts so World Cup 2006 in HD in June, is almost worth the headache today.

One of the many times a tech from LINKUS came by, he said that we needed another satellite (Not the 500) to get the international programming. I'm worried because we payed 100 bucks for the 500 satellite and it's been sitting there for near three months. Thanks for that heads up JohnL. After i buy the switch off ebay, do you recommend i talk to a tech (To know what dish i really need) at the DISH Network side of things or a tech on the Installer (LINKUS) side? Because I think you're right on having the wrong dish (500).

Once again thanks for your help. My knowledge is limited to soccer and computers. I there is anything i can help anyone out with computer wise consider it done. Sorry for the long threads.

Jeorge

I canceled Dish in February and I have been billed every month since then for everything you can imagine. I have to call up, review the billing and they correct it. The problem is, it keeps happening. The latest one was what they called the auto charge for the LNB's even though they were sent back 2 months ago. Upond reviewing on phone they immediately saw it and corrected it but damn. How many times do I have to call when the service was ended in February and fulfilled my obligations. Didnt leave a good taste.

Iceberg said:
rangers...he needs a DPP44, not a SW44
different animal

Ooops, me bad.

I subbed to Dish 6 years ago, and my knowledge to Dish is still at the SWxx, Dish 500, dual LNB level...

I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest equipment from Echostar, since I am subbing to Starchoice right now...

rangers00 said:
Ooops, me bad.

I subbed to Dish 6 years ago, and my knowledge to Dish is still at the SWxx, Dish 500, dual LNB level...

I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest equipment from Echostar, since I am subbing to Starchoice right now...

Perhaps that's what the OP really needs, something like Starchoice or Bell ExpressVu. There is all sorts of French-language programming on Canadian television.

this is for brewer 4 the lnb's were charged because someone in the service department wasn't doing there job, i work for dish and it happens a lot, sorry about the auto-batch, there is no way to track the lnb and if the dude in service department doesn't do things right you will get charged

Just an update on the situation for anyone who cares. Just got a call from corporate headquarters and they have the switch and we should have it installed by this friday. That made my week! Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Jorge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)