Think new Dpp-44 died. Help please

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Well came home today and decided to ground cables that indy tech guy did not as per my main post. Well I first pulled cable off position for receiver 4 as its hooked to a legacy and dont need it because I dont have legacy adapter. Then I moved cable in receiver out position 4 to position 3 and put plastic weather cap on position 4 (not used) So my DPP-44 goes as follows. 119-110-129 as put in by installer in Sat in's. Receiver 1 output goes to main 622 with power inverter connected in house by installer then to 622. Out put 2 goes to a 322 about 3 feet from switch inside kids play room. Works fine. Output 3 goes to master bedroom 508 and Output 4 dead.

Well after I hook it all back and run better drip loops I go inside and powered back up inverter and main receiver. Ran check switch and 622 works fine.
Downstairs 322 next and works fine.

Here is why I think switch failed. I go upstairs and 508 has froze screen. I ask wife this this just happen? She said NO, she was watching TV in early afternoon and screen froze. She forgot to tell me. So I am clear that it did not happen from me.

Just to be sure I checked and all cables are fine, no shorts as checked with my volt meter. I just to be sure re-booted power inverter and tryed check switch multiple times at 508. NO SWITCH DETECTED> Also hooked up the 510 I turned off when getting 622 and it actually will not turn on. Safety was not allowing it to turn on when input cable connected at back. As soon as I disconnect cable from switch it will power up. So it must have a short in switch I assume and 510 is catching it and protecting itself.

Yes I tried moving the output to different position expect main number 1 that is with 622 and power inverter. No luck! No signal on antenna check either.

I am at my wits end. This 44 is less then 24 hours old!!!!

Any thoughts!

Solid state electronics usually die early in their life.

They do very little or no burn in testing on the assembly line. To do so would be cost prohibitive.

If they past the initial burn in period, they ususlly live a long life.

Clear the matrix on the 510 or 508 (not sure what you have from your post).

Disconnect satellite feed and run check switch.
Reboot the receiver.
Connect satellite feed and run check switch.

From your posts:

"I go upstairs and 508 has froze screen" "Also hooked up the 510 I turned off "

OK so you have a 501. I gave you the steps needed to clear the switch matrix in my above post.

Sorry Randall, 508 is correct! Anyway followed your directions and it still shows NO SWITCH detected, Also no Satellite signal of any kind detected.

It is not a cable or connector problem. Check that. So it leaves me to believe the switch is somehow not working.

Wierd issue is the 622 and other reciever are working fine!

Tried that till blue in the face last night Jeff. That is what I thought so ODD? It seems to be the only tangible thing is that the power inserter is on 622 and works. The 510 is right next to switch on other side of wall and works. But the 508 is upstairs about 100 ft of cable run and does not work. It did work intitially so I know it can.

Ok, unplug everything from the DPP44 switch and wait a minute or so (reset the switch). Start connecting one receiver at a time and when you get to the 501 do a check switch.

Another couple of thoughts, I wonder if trying the 501 on the working 622 connection, this would eliminate the cabling. also of course you could try connecting the 501 bypassing the dpp44.
Also i wonder what version of software the 501 is using, if it's back a few versions, might it have problems with the switch or number of dishes.
It sounds like you've probably tried much of these rather basic suggestions, but sometimes these things get overlooked.
My basic confusion is if it's the dpp44 why are the other receivers are working.

First off thank you for all your help! Sometimes us so called experts (My lame self) try everything but miss an easy little tidbit.

I did not check the connection from inside wall to back plate in junction box in wall. It seems that when the house was built and they did all these home runs for the rg6 connections some bozo did not screw it in to back side of wall plate. All these 8 years of house built it was just barely hand pushed in without being screwed on. My wife was vacuaming yesterday and slid upstairts tv stand to get behind it. It must have been just enough to finally get cable to pop off in wall.

Luckily I had exhausted all other options and finally just thought about seeing if it had rusted from a plant spill over on wall. I was really grasping.

But I guess I am a hero in the end. I did find it!!!

Screwed it back in and AWAY WE GO!!

Thanks so much everyone!

What a BOZO I am!!

I still am pissed that indy guy I thought was so honest tried to sell me a legacy adapter for my old receiver for $75.00!!! I just read on DPP-44 instructions the other poster is correct. NONE NEEDED!

Just had it turned back on.. GOOD DAY!!

I better get to work!

iceshark said:
First off thank you for all your help! Sometimes us so called experts (My lame self) try everything but miss an easy little tidbit.

I did not check the connection from inside wall to back plate in junction box in wall. It seems that when the house was built and they did all these home runs for the rg6 connections some bozo did not screw it in to back side of wall plate. All these 8 years of house built it was just barely hand pushed in without being screwed on. My wife was vacuaming yesterday and slid upstairts tv stand to get behind it. It must have been just enough to finally get cable to pop off in wall.

Luckily I had exhausted all other options and finally just thought about seeing if it had rusted from a plant spill over on wall. I was really grasping.

But I guess I am a hero in the end. I did find it!!!

Screwed it back in and AWAY WE GO!!

Thanks so much everyone!

What a BOZO I am!!

Good deal, at least you got it working and that's what counts! :)