Thinking about adding Charter TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
I've been using OTA only with WMC as my DVR for the last year. I just received the 4 tuner Roamio with 2 years of service paid up front as a Christmas present. I've been perfectly happy with OTA and streaming for the last year but now that I could have 2 years with my only equipment fee being a $2 cable card I've started to think about subscribing to pay TV again.

I haven't had Charter TV in probably at least 10 years. In that time I have had a few years with Directv and the rest was with Dish. Due to that I don't really know much about Charter's packages or the ins and outs to getting the best deal.

Here's what I know. My 2 year internet only promotion expires in April. At that time my internet bill will increase from $44.99 to $54.99. I constantly get offers in the mail to bundle phone and TV with my internet for $29.99 each or a total of $89.97. My cell has unlimited minutes and has been my only phone for about 10 years now so I have no interest in a landline. I was hoping to take advantage of that $29.99 each offer for just cable and internet since that will only be about $5 more than just internet once my price increases in April.

I went into the local office this morning and asked the lady at the front desk what my options were for adding TV to my internet only plan. She said she could give me TV and internet for $39.99 each for a year and avoid my internet price increase to $54.99 that's due in April. After taxes and a cable card she said it would come to about $88. That's a little disappointing because that is within $2 of their triple play bundle even though I don't want phone service. The plus side is that for TV and internet together from Charter I would pay almost exactly what I was paying for just Dish a year ago.

I'm not sure how well the woman knew what she was talking about though. She told me that this would require a $7 a month digital receiver even after I told her I already have a Tivo. I don't think this $7 included DVR service and I'm not even positive if it was a HD receiver. It wasn't until I specifically asked about cable cards that she told me I could have one of those for $2 instead of the digital receiver. She claimed that no one does that because on demand doesn't work unless you use their official boxes. I will record the programs I want so I don't care about on demand. She also told me that a $30 installation was required even though all I need is a splitter before my cable modem and a cable card. Again, disappointing but since this is a one time charge it's not a deal breaker.

On top of the bundle price there are "Fees". While they "don't charge fees like the phone company does" they do charge fees like a cable company does ;) They called me again last night trying to get me to sign up for TV. I quit trying to explain why I don't need their service, they just don't understand FTA and OTA. But they do understand "NO".

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I decided to break this into a second post because it was getting really long.

The reason I came here is because I was hoping there are some cheaper Charter TV options that aren't advertised. If I did this I would likely only subscribe for baseball season. I'm happy with OTA so I have learned to live without all channels and I'm fine with that. The only requirement if I did this is that I would want my local RSN for Tigers games. AMC and FX would be nice but they aren't required.

Last year I paid $130 for MLB.tv premium and $5 per month to Un-block.us to remove blackouts on my Tigers games. If I added cable I would skip MLB.tv saving me about $165 for the base service plus 7 months of Un-block.us.

If I added cable on April 1st it would cost me $88 instead of the $55 I will be paying for just internet. Again 7 months would get me through the MLB season and I would be out before the promo pricing expired. This extra $33 I would be spending would come to a total of $231 for 7 months.

Going with cable would cost me $66 more than MLB.tv total over the 7 month baseball season but I would also have what ever other cable channels come with that package. I'm not sure if the extra $66 is worth it to me or not. The reason I canceled Dish in the first place is because there was very little I actually watched that wasn't available OTA. I used Netflix and Amazon more than my other cable channels. A cheaper cable package that still included FS Detroit would be ideal.

I guess the beauty of cable + Tivo is that I won't have any contracts and I can add and remove service whenever I want without changing my equipment. I assume I can still watch any cable recordings even if I go back to OTA only correct?

I like to watch my teams play too. When I found I could get most of my games FTA or streaming, I cut the pay tv cord. But I would sub again if I couldn't watch any other way. I would bet the stuff recorded by TiVo with the access card remains encrypted and you need a valid card to play it back.

My Charter "internet only" just went from $54.99 to $59.99 a month on the bill I got 3 days ago. So be aware they are jacking up prices. They did just send me a new modem and jack me up to 60 meg service though. Not that I typically get over 47 meg speeds most of the time though.

They have been hosing me for my Internet only. I got the $5 increase notice with my last bill. $55 to $60. Cept I was already paying $65 for 30MB. I called and asked how that affects me? "That's not right" they said and doubled my speed and lowered my bill. But I got no credit for being overcharged all the time before.

They have been hosing me for my Internet only. I got the $5 increase notice with my last bill. $55 to $60. Cept I was already paying $65 for 30MB. I called and asked how that affects me? "That's not right" they said and doubled my speed and lowered my bill. But I got no credit for being overcharged all the time before.

That's crazy. I've been getting 60Mbps for a long time. I'm still on $45 promo pricing.

I have bundled Internet and phone for a couple of years and this past August I pulled the plug on DISH after 11 years and signed up with their TV service. Since they have done fully digital their PQ is just as good as I had with DISH. I had a TIVO and MINI that I used for OTA, never used the DISH for my locals, so all I needed was Charter's M-Card and I have been very pleased. Also saving nearly $50 per month over what I was paying when I had DISH as my viewing provider.

I have bundled Internet and phone for a couple of years and this past August I pulled the plug on DISH after 11 years and signed up with their TV service. Since they have done fully digital their PQ is just as good as I had with DISH. I had a TIVO and MINI that I used for OTA, never used the DISH for my locals, so all I needed was Charter's M-Card and I have been very pleased. Also saving nearly $50 per month over what I was paying when I had DISH as my viewing provider.

I will be sticking with OTA only at least until March Madness unless I get an offer that completely blows me away. I work 6 days a week with many 10-12 hour days during the winter so TV isn't a necessary expense right now. I won't have time to watch it anyways. Not only that but my internet stays at $45 until April. As of now I'm leaning towards adding Charter TV for baseball season instead of MLB.tv this year. Someone here said the standard internet price is going up to $60 so that will be even more incentive for me to add TV.

Today I was offered internet dropped back down to $39.99 for another year and the Select TV package for $39.99 if I add TV services. Paying $82 plus tax for internet, TV, and a Cable Card sounds a lot better than $60 plus tax for internet only. If that offer is still available to me mid-March I will take advantage of it.

So, I pulled the trigger on this a little early. It wasn't necessary but I got another offer from Charter so I bit this time.

I was going to go with Standard Spectrum TV double play for $88 including Cable Card and taxes. I noticed the BBC America only comes in Silver and up so I asked how much more it would cost to upgrade. He told me I would be required to get at least one box from Charter for $6.99 and with that and the Cable Card it would be around $115. I told him I wasn't going to pay for a box I'm not going to use since I have a Tivo so I guess I won't be adding TV services after all. He went and checked with a supervisor and when he came back he told me he could just do a Cable Card for my Tivo and forget the Charter box bringing my total for a Spectrum Silver double play down to $107.

I told him that was a little more than I wanted to spend so I would go with the Standard Spectrum double play instead. He immediately came back saying he could knock another $10 off Silver bringing my total with Cable Card fee and taxes included to $97. In addition to BBC America, Silver also includes HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, NFL Network and lots of other channels.

This isn't some 3 month offer like Dish does for new customers. This will be my pricing for the first year. I still probably won't keep TV services after baseball season unless they make some amazing retention offer. For $9 more than the standard double play I get all those premiums and BBC America. This entire thing will cost me $37 more per month than internet alone once my promotion pricing runs out next month. I'll be getting heaving use out of Showtime Anytime and HBO Go on my Apple TV to catch all their premium series.

I love the idea of paying $2 for a single Cable Card that can give access to my Roamio and Tivo Mini instead of paying $7-$12 per box like I did before. The best part is that there are no contracts and I can keep my recordings when I cancel on them after baseball season. If this works out I can see myself adding TV every spring and dropping it every fall when baseball ends.

Reactions: old corps
I have the silver package too, $60 at the moment, $80 after the promo expires. It's an amazing deal considering the closest thing Dish offers would be $85 for AT250 plus $35 for HBO/Max/Sho, $120 total for far fewer channels, including about 80 fewer HD channels. I also like the fact that $2 covers all 6 of my TVs.

ALMOST switched to Charter for TV about 10 days ago. When I called Dish to cancel they made me an offer I couldn't refuse......

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)