Thinking about Comcast... Internet, that is

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Compulov

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Don't panic! I'm extremely happy with my Dish service (the 622 user experience completely blows away my old Comcast iGude), but I'm less than happy with my current Verizon DSL (I'm on the borderline of a serviceable area). So, I'm looking at moving back to Comcast HSI. What I wanted to do is try and avoid having to run any new coax, and with the right combination of splitters/combiners and my existing setup, it should be easy. I just wanted to run it past the folks in this forum to make sure it sounds sane.

My current setup is this:

DPP LNB with 110/119 and 61.5-> U/V/Sat Diplexer in closet -> U/V/Sat Diplexer in living room -> DPP Separator -> (via two lines) 622

622 TV Out (channel 73) -> U/V/Sat Diplexer in living room -> U/V/Sat Diplexer in closet -> TV in bedroom

Now, my (disconnected) Comcast feed also goes into the closet where the Dish feed comes in. Would I be fine with using a splitter/combiner to combine the UHF/VHF feed from the diplexer with the comcast cable feed and then using a splitter to split between the cable modem and the tv in the bedroom? In theory I ought to only have channel 73 active on that line right now, so it should be fairly clean to hook a cablemodem up to it. I just want to know is there any odd gotchya that perhaps I'm overlooking.

Thanks for your help!

Comcast HSI and Dish Network

You should be able to do that just fine. I have Dish Network and Comcast Cable provided by my homeowners association, and i run them both through the same coax throughout the house, and i use Comcast HSI as well and i get great speeds with no problem. I do have diplexers on both ends of the cable on each run, and i have 5 Sets, but only have 4 Dish boxes.

Hope this helps!

DP

It is doable. However, you will want to check your cable modem levels to see if they are within spec. On many modems, you can check this in your browser by typing in 192.168.100.1 in to the address bar. Downstream should be between -10 and +5, upstream should be between +37 and +50, and SNR should be 30+ or better.

Also, make sure the cable company installs the correct filter outside to limit your service to just cablemodem as you don't want cable video or digital signals to come through that line or it could make your picture garbage. Many cable systems don't run signals above 750mhz, so you can run your TV2 on 116-125 and have clean signal that way.

It is doable. However, you will want to check your cable modem levels to see if they are within spec.
Unless something's changed in the last year or so, it was fine back when I had cable service last year (and should be even better since I don't have to split the line with a cable box, yay +3.5dBm).
Also, make sure the cable company installs the correct filter outside to limit your service to just cablemodem as you don't want cable video or digital signals to come through that line or it could make your picture garbage. Many cable systems don't run signals above 750mhz, so you can run your TV2 on 116-125 and have clean signal that way.
Oh, good point! I hadn't thought about conflicting TV signals. I'll keep an eye on it. I suppose I could also just pick up a notch filter of my own (suddenly feel like I'm taking the tech ham exam again).

Thanks!

Unless something's changed in the last year or so, it was fine back when I had cable service last year (and should be even better since I don't have to split the line with a cable box, yay +3.5dBm).

Oh, good point! I hadn't thought about conflicting TV signals. I'll keep an eye on it. I suppose I could also just pick up a notch filter of my own (suddenly feel like I'm taking the tech ham exam again).

Thanks!

Just because with Notch Filters as many systems run their cable modem downstreams somewhere around channel 83 catv.

That should be ok IMO, BUT do not try to feed both the internet and dish before the receiver as the receiver puts out voltage on the coax towards the LNB, and this will cause your modem to have connections issues.

But just a thought ask Comcast what channel they feed their internet on, most cable co's use channel 99, so it should interfere, but that's what you really need to check on.

That should be ok IMO, BUT do not try to feed both the internet and dish before the receiver as the receiver puts out voltage on the coax towards the LNB, and this will cause your modem to have connections issues.

But just a thought ask Comcast what channel they feed their internet on, most cable co's use channel 99, so it should interfere, but that's what you really need to check on.

Most diplexers have dc blocking on the vhf/uhf side of the diplexer, no voltage running down the cable feed.

Comcast speed rocks. This is just on their regular $44.95 plan
Last Result:
Download Speed: 31984 kbps (3998 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1396 kbps (174.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Comcast supposed to have everyone on 100Mbps by 2010.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)