Thinking about coming back

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
Hey guys I left •E about a year ago for •D and I think I'm ready to come back. There are things I like about •E that I didn't realize I liked until I left. Now my question is I'm having a hard time deciding what receivers to go with. I really wanted to go with a 922 and a 722. Now after reading all of the negative posts about the 922 I'm thinking maybe not. I was curious what kind of setup you guys would recommend for me. I have 4 tv's. 2 of which are HD. I want to be able to view my recordings on my family room and bedroom tv's. The family room has hd, the bedroom does not. The other 2 tv's I would lime o. Separate feeds but if it means saving money I guess I could go with a dual turner receiver. Thanks guys.

The 722K has two sat tuners and two OTA tuners. Or you could get one 722K and a 211 ( and make it a dvr by adding an external hard drive).

1 722 (2-TV--primary receiver $0.00)
2 211s ($7 per each receiver)
DVR fee $6.00 (for 722, not on 211s--turning 211s into DVR has a one-time $40 fee). $20 would be the monthly total. I believe that one cannot access On Demand with a 211, and you have to have your own external hard drives for the 211s.
This would get you 3 HD feeds (you still could put one on an SD TV and be ready for an upgrade if wanted or needed--We did that.)

2 722s would result in a $17 receiver fee and the $6 DVR fee. $23 would be the monthly total.

If you are considering non-DVR receivers, you could go with a 222 (2 TV--1 HD and 1 SD) as the primary receiver and have 2 211s (HD) and turn them into DVRs. Like I stated, the 211s have a one-time $40 fee along with having your own external hard drives. However, you do not have that $6/monthly fee, but I do not think that you have access to On Demand. $14 would be the monthly total.

Let us know how it goes. I agree that it is important to get the setup that you want from the beginning. I wish that we would have got 2 211s in place of one of our 222k, but at the time, that was more expensive. Now, there is no longer a phone or broadband connection discount to offset any difference between having 2 222ks and a 222k with 2 211s.

I believe some have mentioned something about a 612 receiver for $10/month.

if you didn't want to record more than 1 sat feed at a time.. and if you had OTA ability in your area..

a 211k, with EHD could service an HD TV & one SD Tv watching the same content. Get an IR Blaster (device that picks up the IR remote control and re-broadcasts it back to the room where the 211 is) and you could avoid DVR fees with the exception of the 1 time 40 dollar EHD activation.

Get two 211k's ... two ir blasters, and you'd pay no dvr *per month* fee .. you'd have the dvr functionality and only spend 7 dollars for the second 211k.

OR.. the 722k (1 hd tv1, and send TV1/2 to the two SD tv's over coax) and again get a 211k for the other HD TV ... no ir blaster needed, however a second UHF remote would be beneficial so that remotely you can change both TV1 & TV2.

ie... 722k coax output can do both TV1 & TV2 like.. channels 60 and 62 or 70 & 73 .. something like that.. thus reducing the need for two 722's

The EHD however for a 211 could not be used to move content around.. an EHG on a 722 can be moved to another 722 ... if you wanted to copy content from one location to another..

Thanks guys for the great info. So I didn't see anyone recommend the 922? I believe the setup Im going to go with will be a 722, and (2) 211's. I did have a couple questions though
1. So I take it that the 211 when recording a program sends it strait to the EHD unlike the 722 in which you record something then have to send it to the EHD, is this correct?
2. What are my chances on actually telling them exactly what I want. I always thought you had to keep your fingers crossed and see what the installer shows up with.
3.What will my upfront cost be? Im thinking they will give me the 722 and possibly (1) 211 for free? just curious what they will make me pay for the additonal 211? Does the 211 have the same guide UI as the 722?( Thats one thing I really miss)
4. Or maybe I could just wait for the new recivers I hear there getting ready to roll out? Does anyone have any kind of time table for them?
Thanks for all the great info guys!

To the OP. What the H is &bull? At least enlighten the unenlightened. Must be a text thing...that circumvents the English language.

Thanks guys for the great info. So I didn't see anyone recommend the 922? I believe the setup Im going to go with will be a 722, and (2) 211's. I did have a couple questions though
1. So I take it that the 211 when recording a program sends it strait to the EHD unlike the 722 in which you record something then have to send it to the EHD, is this correct?
2. What are my chances on actually telling them exactly what I want. I always thought you had to keep your fingers crossed and see what the installer shows up with.
3.What will my upfront cost be? Im thinking they will give me the 722 and possibly (1) 211 for free? just curious what they will make me pay for the additonal 211? Does the 211 have the same guide UI as the 722?( Thats one thing I really miss)
4. Or maybe I could just wait for the new recivers I hear there getting ready to roll out? Does anyone have any kind of time table for them?

1. Yes
2. You will most likely get the latest models. That is what mostly all techs carry.
3. Dish is offering 3 receivers for free. So no upfront costs.
4. The extra fees with the new receiver will probably make it not worth it. The current receivers are still the best in the industry.

PM one of the DIRT members and have them set it up for you. They are great.

I wouldn't recommend the 922 unless you want a $10.00 dvr fee and bugs and glitches and a general lack of features that are readily available on older, more in use receivers. I owned one for 9 months and traded it back in to the online retailer I bought it from for a new 722k . I would recommend the 722k + ota module so you can record 4 shows at a time: 2 sat/2 ota. A 211k that you can add an external hard drive to would be good for the second receiver, but you will have to pay $40.00 to enable the dvr software from DISH. THat is the setup I have now.

Stay away from the 922, seriously as an installer, the 722k is a better reciever. Exrernal hard drive plus sling adapter, makex it better than the 922.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)