thinking about getting a dvr

moviemax

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I was thinking about getting the dvr 622 and was wanting to know some info on it. On dish networks website, they say it is for one or two tvs. If you have 2 tvs, how can you use it for both tvs? any info would be greatly appreaciated.

there are 2 tv output sets and 3 tuners (2 for dish satellites, 1 for Over the Air (OTA)).
You get 2 remotes and if you chose to use the 2 tv's, you use 1 for each TV.
There are some tradeoff's in using 1 tv vs 2 but if you want to have a second tv and not pay additional receiver fees (1 receiver for each tv) then this is the way to go.
The DVR can record any of the 3 tuners and play back to either of the TV's.

If you look at the pictures of the back of the 622 you will see what i mean about 2 output sets, the 622 is an HD receiver BUT will only output to 1 TV in HD format, the second tv will see the HD channels but the picture will be in SD.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

thanks for your help but just to clarify, if i want it for 2 tvs ill have to have 2 dvrs correct?

gbjbany said:
there are 2 tv output sets and 3 tuners (2 for dish satellites, 1 for Over the Air (OTA)).
You get 2 remotes and if you chose to use the 2 tv's, you use 1 for each TV.
There are some tradeoff's in using 1 tv vs 2 but if you want to have a second tv and not pay additional receiver fees (1 receiver for each tv) then this is the way to go.
The DVR can record any of the 3 tuners and play back to either of the TV's.

If you look at the pictures of the back of the 622 you will see what i mean about 2 output sets, the 622 is an HD receiver BUT will only output to 1 TV in HD format, the second tv will see the HD channels but the picture will be in SD.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Dvr newbie here also. The 622 sounds like a better product than the d* R15.

moviemax said:
thanks for your help but just to clarify, if i want it for 2 tvs ill have to have 2 dvrs correct?
NO!
The 622 Is a wonderful machine. The machine has three tuners 2 satellite and 1 OTA. You can record from either of two locations and watch on either of two locations. Unlike cable you can even watch the HD channels on the second TV but they will be at SD res. Keep in mind you have three inputs if you are using OTA local and two outputs so you could

1) Watch 1 show in HD while recording another in HD off Satellite however the second TV would be tuned to what you are recording
2) Record 2 shows in HD off Satellite while watching a different recorded show off each TV
3) Someone correct me if I am wrong here but as I understand things you could even record 3 shows in HD at the same time, 2 from Satellite and one OTA while watching one recorded show in HD and another in SD
4) Use the two outputs to picture in picture on the same TV

The 622 is very nice as I understand but i have not got mine yet would someone correct me if I am wrong here

You are largely correct. However PIP and Two tv outputs are mutually exclusive. You have to configue if you want dual (2 tv's) or single. Single enables PIP on TV1, Dual allows you to watch different channels on each TV.
I have to confess i have not used Dual, so cant talk about it in detail.
I am a 942 user, who wanted PIP and record one channel and watch another live together, so i can record at will and not have to care about the record event or watch what i am recording. So i selected Single mode and am leasing (awaiting install) a 622 for my second tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)