Thinking about getting a sling on my 722

smjbh5

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
Are there any disadvantages to getting one? When it is connected, will i still have access to both tuners? I thought i read somewhere that it takes over one turner. To put it another way, the sling is connected, i'm watching tv1, can someone else watch/record on tv2?

Are there any disadvantages to getting one? When it is connected, will i still have access to both tuners? I thought i read somewhere that it takes over one turner. To put it another way, the sling is connected, i'm watching tv1, can someone else watch/record on tv2?

The sling adapter will take over the TV2 feed when in use. If you are not using the sling, your tuners will not be affected.

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
The sling adapter will take over the TV2 feed when in use. If you are not using the sling, your tuners will not be affected.

So if im not using it, i should unplug it?

No, it just sits there ready and doing nothing. I leave mine plugged in always.

So how do i watch on my phone? Fire up the dish app, do to dvr, pick a show, hit watch? When i do that now, it plays on the tv.

Last question. If tv1 is not in use, and theres something recording on tv2, will the sling work?
I don't think the logic is smart enough to use TV 1 for Sling in this case. You will get an alert on the sling client that it can't connect to the receiver if TV 2 is in use for viewing or recording.

Hopper is much more flexible as they've removed the single/duo modality and done away with the notion of TV 1 and TV2. Sling will use whatever tuner is available (if any). Hopper uses a second decoder to support PIP or Sling so you get one or the other - first come, first served.

Last question. If tv1 is not in use, and theres something recording on tv2, will the sling work?

It will play back a recording, including the one in progress on TV2. (I've done it.) It will not switch to TV1, and I don't know why. That would be a great feature.

The sling adapter is awesome! One of the best $30 investments I ever made. I have a few roommates at home and sometimes I run into issues with something recording on TV2 but overall it works really well when I need it. I also loaded the epix app, HBOgo, and Maxgo on my phone so I always have something to watch. The only thing that I found irritating is that HBOgo, and Maxgo aren't supported on Honeycomb yet. It's pretty nice running sling on the tablet though ;).

If you get an actual Slingbox you will have complete control of the Receiver. Anything you can do at home you can do on a computer or mobile including switching tuners. The Slingbox APP is very good. However the cost of the box is alot higher. It also has inputs for other uses, like security cameras, or any audio source, virtually anything than can plug into a TV or amplifier.

Sling adapter was a waste for me since my 722 is having a hard time staying "online" since the last software update (strangely, even when offline I could remotely watch "live tv" through the sling adapter).

I finally gave up and reconnected the Stand-Alone sling box. Generally, a stand-alone sling will be TV1 (unless you also get a TV2 adapter kit). My 722 is in single mode anyway so I generally do not have to worry about not getting a tuner.

A big advantage of the stand-alone is the ability to manage the external HDD (archive recordings).

David_Levin said:
Sling adapter was a waste for me since my 722 is having a hard time staying "online" since the last software update (strangely, even when offline I could remotely watch "live tv" through the sling adapter).

I finally gave up and reconnected the Stand-Alone sling box. Generally, a stand-alone sling will be TV1 (unless you also get a TV2 adapter kit). My 722 is in single mode anyway so I generally do not have to worry about not getting a tuner.

A big advantage of the stand-alone is the ability to manage the external HDD (archive recordings).

I havent really had any issues with my 722 staying connected. Although when i first launch the dish app, it says my receiver isnt connected, then after 30 seconds, it sees it and i can see everything i have on the dvr.

The adapter is supposed to show up today. Im getting it more for the kids than anything else. If we're at the mall, and theyre board, they can watch their stuff.

teddyballgame said:
I'll 2nd this and say my 722k box won't connect online after the latest updates from Dish. It's a roll of the dice if your 722k box will connect and allow the DRA phone app to work at all. goodluck.

I have a 722 not a 722k. Maybe this connection issue is with the 722k only?

I just plugged in my sling adapter and it works fine so far.

I have a 722 not a 722k. Maybe this connection issue is with the 722k only?

I just plugged in my sling adapter and it works fine so far.
My 612 and 622 connect fine. 722 (not K) is very problamatic. At least now with the external sling, I can use the sling to reset the 722 internet connection and sometimes DRA will see it (it always shows online on the 722 broadband menu). I like to use DRA when searching and setting up timers (even when I'm home).... It's way faster.

I believe the problem is only with certian ISPs (I'm on Qwest DSL). Probably something with how often the WAN IP address changes and the ability of DO and DRA to "find" the box. I'm now running with my DSL router in "Bridge" mode and a DD-WRT router behind it and still having problems.

Last edited:
David_Levin said:
My 612 and 622 connect fine. 722 (not K) is very problamatic. At least now with the external sling, I can use the sling to reset the 722 internet connection and sometimes DRA will see it (it always shows online on the 722 broadband menu). I like to use DRA when searching and setting up timers (even when I'm home).... It's way faster.

I believe the problem is only with certian ISPs (I'm on Qwest DSL). Probably something with how often the WAN IP address changes and the ability of DO and DRA to "find" the box. I'm now running with my DSL router in "Bridge" mode and a DD-WRT router behind it and still having problems.

I have comcast. My receiver is hooked up to a switch, which is hooked up to another switch, hooked up to my router, which is hooked up to my phone (ooma) which is hooked up to my modem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)