Thinking about getting Dish Network ...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pyrophoric

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Ok, I am completely new to the whole dish thing and have been with a local cable company for as long as I can remember but was thinking about getting Dish Network...

All I know is I have heard some good things as far as prices go but bad things as far as having very poor service/connection...

Really, the main reasons I want to try Dish is because I was told I could get their DVR with no up front cost just have to pay the monthly fee of $4 something + the reg bill. That is one reason and the other is cause Comcast pisses me off everytime I talk with them. The want all kinda cash to get their new dvr's that only do like 40-60 hours of time and I dont even know if its any good. Yet Dish is telling me that I can get not only the same channels I have now plus the dvr for no cost but free install.

Is there anything I should watch out for with Dish as far as them being dishonest, hiding charges, or other things...?

Thx for any info :)

Btw, only thing that is really making me think about if I wanna switch or not is cause atm I have 3mb cable modem for $42 a month and if I go to Dish I would have to go to dsl cause my cable bill will go up by $20 if I take everything off accept the cable modem.

Pyrophoric said:
Btw, only thing that is really making me think about if I wanna switch or not is cause atm I have 3mb cable modem for $42 a month and if I go to Dish I would have to go to dsl cause my cable bill will go up by $20 if I take everything off accept the cable modem.
fyi, when I dumped television programming from my cable service and went to cable modem only, ALL taxes and franchise fees were dropped from my bill. (Federal Law prevents Internet access service from being taxed). So for me, losing the tax and francshise fee made up for the extra $10 access charge that the cable company charged me for.

minor correction, I do pay a frachise fee and sales tax on the $10 access charge, but thats only 17 cents.

He may be in the same situation I am...the local cable monopoly makes me keep basic cable or they won't LET me have the internet service. I'm guessing that's the extra fee. For me though, they charged SO much for 257 tiers to get HD, that it was STILL cheaper overall to switch to Dish, even though I had to keep basic cable for the cable modem.

Yeah, thats basically what is going on. I looked at the Comcast site today and messed with my service a little ... it seems that if I switch to only the Cable modem + Limited Service($9.99) it is actually cheaper than if I switch to just Cable only :(

I was thinking about going to dsl but its unreal what sprint charges here ..

A friend of mine pays like $40 a month for 3mb of sprint dsl in vegas yet I would have to pay !!!!$!!!!(thats WITH!!! a discount for having phone service already) a month for sprint dsl 3mb here in FL ....

The only options that I have is to either keep the cable modem+limited and switch to dish .. that would be around the same price I am paying now OR I could switch to dsl 512kb for 29.99 a month ... but I dunno if I can handle that low of speed coming from 3mb cable. I do d/l a LOT!!!

EDIT : I just called Dish and asked about getting the 522 instead of the 510.

I have a couple questions about this...

First, can the DVR record one show while I watch another on the same tv as I have been told?

Second, the CSR told me that I would recieve NO additional charges per month for switching from the 510 to the 522 in that my bill will be the same with either system unless I unplus the 522 at anytime, is this true that I should see the same monthly bill?

If so, why would anyone want to get a DVR 510 over a 522?

Thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts