Thinking about the 508..need some advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I think its about time for my 5000 to be put out to pasture. The only reason I was using it was for the OTA portion (so I could get Duluth stations..although fuzzy). Now that Duluth locals are live (woo hoo!), the OTA isnt needed.

Since I can't get the 510 offer (only have locals), I was thiking about the 508 on the dishstore site. Have a couple of questions (I'm sorry if they seem stupid, but I am a noob when it comes to a DVR) :)

-When I select something to record, can I manually change how long the timer should go? Sporting events is a perfect example..if the game is scheduled for 2 1/2 hours, can I program it to go 3 hours?
-are they a fairly stable machine? I don't want something that I have to reboot every day and I don't want it to miss a show

and here is the big one....
-How hard is it to record it from the DVR to videotape?

Thanks!

Yes, you can extend timers or create manual timers.

Hook up your VCR to the component output and record...it is simple.

Yes, The 50x/510 receivers are very stable. There are some that suggest rebooting it once a week or so. I never reboot and have no problems. Of cousre I only record about 10 hours a week.

Output of the 508 is channel 3/4 so set your vcr to the appropriate channel and record away. You can even set the IR blaster of the 508 to start your vcr to record programs like your 5000 did.

boba said:
You can even set the IR blaster of the 508 to start your vcr to record programs like your 5000 did.

Never used the IR blaster.....programmed the VCR :)

I might have to pick a 508 up...

Iceberg said:
Never used the IR blaster.....programmed the VCR :)

I might have to pick one up...
Nothing TO pick up - it's built-in. Just program your VCR code into the 508 once. :)

Just make sure the VCR can 'see' the front of the 508 - usually, the 508 can bounce it's signal off a room's far wall. Only worry about it if you have trouble.

Maybe start by facing the 2 units at each other and go from there - it's all in the manual, which is also available online at Dish's website.

Had a 5000 for a few years. Got a 508 about a year ago. Would never go back now! The 508 has all of the functions that I used on the 5000 and has the bonus of the DVR. Also the 508 keeps 7 days of programming guide so you don't have to wait on the slow, slow, slooooowwwww 5000 program guide.

gasman882001 said:
Also the 508 keeps 7 days of programming guide so you don't have to wait on the slow, slow, slooooowwwww 5000 program guide.

you got that right..the 5000 does have a slow guide. an hour out if you're lucky :)

jlhugh said:
What I do to extend the recording time is record the event that comes after the sport I am recording. NASCAR always goes over the time so by doing that I will get the whole race.
Ditto - and for football, too.

one other question I forgot to ask

-does it have to be plugged into a phone line? I'm cell phone only.

The 5000 went boom on Friday (literally...I hit power and it made one hell of a noise), so I'm using my 301 now :) Maybe that was a sign that I should get one

jlhugh said:
What I do to extend the recording time is record the event that comes after the sport I am recording. NASCAR always goes over the time so by doing that I will get the whole race.

Hopefully you got the whole race recorded yesterday :)

Iceberg said:
Hopefully you got the whole race recorded yesterday :)
:) I caught wind of the pothole incident in time to extend it not just one but two extra hours.

Actually, what I do for long events that I'm timeslipping is to occassionally bring it up live in PIP and when I see a commercial, Swap, Stop, Record in order to break the event up into pieces - yeah, my HDD is full enough that that's important to me.

Well
I decided to get a DVR and just ordered one of the 508's from the Dish Store. I might need some help once I get it, since I don't have much knowledge in DVR's :)

Iceberg -

I can tell you from personal experience that you won't be sorry with your decision! I did the same thing about two months ago and have been very happy with my 508. Claude and Scott really took care of me when I had questions about the ordering process. I got my 508 within 3 days of ordering - shipped from Detroit to southern California. You might get yours in two! My only problem now is finding time to watch all the stuff I recorded.

One thing that I have found the RF output is good for is to make the 508 into a kind of home video server. I have two TVs, each with their own dedicated 301. The 508 is in a closet centrally located in the house and both of the TVs are connected to it via RF channel 3. The RF remote works well anywhere in the house, although I think I am going to have to order a second one to avoid carrying it around the house.

dlsnyder said:
Iceberg -

I can tell you from personal experience that you won't be sorry with your decision! I did the same thing about two months ago and have been very happy with my 508. Claude and Scott really took care of me when I had questions about the ordering process. I got my 508 within 3 days of ordering - shipped from Detroit to southern California. You might get yours in two! My only problem now is finding time to watch all the stuff I recorded.

I got my tracking # from Claude this morning, and to ship to MN should only be 2 days :)

One thing that I have found the RF output is good for is to make the 508 into a kind of home video server. I have two TVs, each with their own dedicated 301. The 508 is in a closet centrally located in the house and both of the TVs are connected to it via RF channel 3. The RF remote works well anywhere in the house, although I think I am going to have to order a second one to avoid carrying it around the house.

I have a TV in the bedroom so I'll just use the coax out and run it into the combiner I have that combines the OTA and satellite. I probably will need to get a 2nd remote too :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)