Thinking about the Hopper but have a few install questions.

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Right now I have a few/3 VIP722k's each has a OTA tuner. I currently do not get HD locals. The Dish setup I have there is no line of site. I believe if the new Dish was put on my peak or higher up on the roof it would work.
I understand that for the most part installers are under a lot of pressure. And really not given a lot of time to get the job done right. At least IMO. Also there is the skill factor from tech to tech. Bottom line is the guy would have to go the extra mile on this install. It would not be the wam bam thank you mam. What are the chances that this could be done? If I call them out for a Hopper install can I refuse if he can't put it in a place that gets me all channels? I am looking to two Hoppers and two Joeys. I would run line for the coax out to other t.v's in the house. Or whatever else is needed. I have a Dish 500 with singal LNB for 129, And a dual LNB on a Dish 500, all connected to a DPP44 switch. My locals I believe come from 65 or 68 azmith. New dish I think is 1000.4? Thanks looking for a few thoughts thanks

Right now I have a few/3 VIP722k's each has a OTA tuner. I currently do not get HD locals. The Dish setup I have there is no line of site. I believe if the new Dish was put on my peak or higher up on the roof it would work.
I understand that for the most part installers are under a lot of pressure. And really not given a lot of time to get the job done right. At least IMO. Also there is the skill factor from tech to tech. Bottom line is the guy would have to go the extra mile on this install. It would not be the wam bam thank you mam. What are the chances that this could be done? If I call them out for a Hopper install can I refuse if he can't put it in a place that gets me all channels? I am looking to two Hoppers and two Joeys. I would run line for the coax out to other t.v's in the house. Or whatever else is needed. I have a Dish 500 with singal LNB for 129, And a dual LNB on a Dish 500, all connected to a DPP44 switch. My locals I believe come from 65 or 68 azmith. New dish I think is 1000.4? Thanks looking for a few thoughts thanks
Where are you located or what are your local channels? How do you mount a dish higher than the peak of the roof. I don't believe DISH installers are allowed to mount dishes on the roof above the edge.
If the installer can't get all satellites necessary he is supposed to cancel the install.

First, need to elaborate on "I currently do not get HD locals." If you mean you have the Grandfathered package, you won't after the install just so you know. If you get SD locals via Dish, that brings me to the next question;

You say at one point you have no line of site, but to what, because it seems later you say you get the 129 satellite and another Dish with dual LNB's presumably for 110/119? If you do get 129 you should be getting the HD channels unless - you need the Eastern Arc, but you don't give your location. There are too many questions yet to really be able to give an answer. An installer will most likely find where/if there is a line of site for you to get a complete ARC, either 129/110/119 or 72/65 and if needed in your area 77. But they most likely will not install anywhere it goes against policy.

First on Boba. It should work on the roof. On one side or the other of the peak. But it is steep. And it is up there a bit. The last tech that came out said I should have somebody out when the tree's are in full leaf mode and check it then. I don't want to waste his or my time but to be honest I am unclear what a tech can and is willing to do. So I would not cancel because I don't KNOW it won't work. Just it is a crap shoot. I installed the setup I have know. But I don't have the equipment to get on the roof. Tampa8:: I am get HD locals thru OTA. Dish is transmitting locals. I am paying for HD locals. I get anolog locals. And I have no Dish pointing at my HD locals. The zip is,, 53066, In Oconomowoc WI. Between Madison and Milwaukee on HWY 94. I would get ABC WISN 12, FOX 6 WITI, NBC 4 WTMJ, CBS 58 WDJT. Thanks

First, need to elaborate on "I currently do not get HD locals." If you mean you have the Grandfathered package, you won't after the install just so you know. If you get SD locals via Dish, that brings me to the next question;

You say at one point you have no line of site, but to what, because it seems later you say you get the 129 satellite and another Dish with dual LNB's presumably for 110/119? If you do get 129 you should be getting the HD channels unless - you need the Eastern Arc, but you don't give your location. There are too many questions yet to really be able to give an answer. An installer will most likely find where/if there is a line of site for you to get a complete ARC, either 129/110/119 or 72/65 and if needed in your area 77. But they most likely will not install anywhere it goes against policy.

My HD locals are on 61.5 I believe. That"s the Sat BTW. Thanks

I get the same HD locals. You would be converted to an eastern arc set up getting 61.5 and 72.7 sats. Those would get you all your programming. How high is the peak of your roof, techs carry 28 foot ladders and have access to 40 foot ladders if needed.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I have my dish (installed by Dish techs) near the peak of my roof. It is the only spot on my very large roof area that allows clear line of site to the EA. If your roof is dry and walkable I would think a good tech should be able to install a dish up there. Then there is the matter of wiring. Is your existing set up on the roof? If so they should be able to run the wiring from the new 1000.4 dish and connect to your existing wires that go into the house and you are all set. Should only take a few minutes really. If your existing dishes aren't on the roof then it will take a lot longer. The real work is on the inside and figuring where to put your duo node (I have mine in a central location in my basement and run all wires to house from there) and making sure your wiring to the locations you want equipment is correct.

The roof is about 30 feet, maybe to the peak. But you can't walk on it. Too steep, maybe on the fascia. I guess come spring I will have to just call and try.

Ok that's what I was thinking. You might as well see if you can see the Eastern Arc and get all your channels. Remember they are higher in the sky and often easier to see.